Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
This thread makes me wish I had an 1885 low wall in 30-30.....

I've thought for a time that a nice handy double in 30-30 or 30-40 would be a HELL of a lot of fun.

Like a 3/4 size double? Yes!

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by shaman
I've got a Savage 340 in 30-30 that I'm working up as a Yute rifle for #1 granddaughter.

Somebody somewhere mentioned using hollow-point boat-tail bullets. I've not been able to find actual working recipes.

Q: Have any of you actually used HPBT's in a 30-30 bolt gun? What bullet did you use? How did it work?

My dad bought a pair of the Savage 840s .. slightly dolled up 340s .. that were sold under the Western Field brand years ago, one for mom, one for grandma. (For Valentines Day no less.) He did quite a bit of load workup. He settled on 30.2 or 30.3 grains of IMR 3031 and 150 grain Sierra flat base bullets. In those cheap guns, with cheap POS 2-7X scopes, they'd give 3/4 inch 5 shot groups. Dad was all about accuracy. Problem was the velocity was not high enough and those bullets would "pencil" like made making them great for head shots and not much else. I remember mom shooting one of dad's cows and getting about 7 feet of penetration .. bullet went in the neck and lodged well down one ham. It wasn't hardly deformed at all.

I've wanted to try a couple of bullets ... Speer 130 grain HP, Speer 125 grain TNT, and Nosler 125 grain ballistic tip and Accubond. I think the light Accubond would do quite well in the .30-30.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I've thought for a time that a nice handy double in 30-30 or 30-40 would be a HELL of a lot of fun.

YES!!!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by T_O_M
[quote=shaman]

I've wanted to try a couple of bullets ... Speer 130 grain HP, Speer 125 grain TNT, and Nosler 125 grain ballistic tip and Accubond. I think the light Accubond would do quite well in the .30-30.

Tom

A tougher 125 is likely going to perform identically to a softer 150 at 30-30 speeds, at least on deer. I have been farting around with the 150's and 165's because I like the idea of using one on an elk, and I want it to lose some weight in frags, expand, and still penetrate. A 125 or 130 that is sturdy, like an Accubond may do the same. I'm not stunt-shooter enough to shoot elk with 125gr 30 cal cup and core bullets though. Maybe someday. Until then, It seems like any soft 150 works pretty well for deer at moderate speeds, and could also ruin an elk's lungs if I happen to see one.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Personally I would just stick with .30-30-specific bullets and be done with it. All the makers have put a lot of work into them over the decades to make them as efficient as possible. Lots of competition in that corner of the market and nobody could afford to make a lousy bullet. Within acceptable .30-30 distances there's really no need for streamlined bullets. But, that's just me.

Nope. Its not just you...

+1

+2

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
From what I've read on Contender forums, many times, the 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip is the darling of the 30-30 shooters. If it works fro ma 14" Contender barrel is should work just as well from a rifle barrel.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I figured I would let the dust settle a bit before I flapped my gums about what I use in my .30-30's (Winchester M54 bolt gun with 24" barrel, and Savage 99G takedown).

190 grain cast bullet, cast relatively soft (10-12bhn), wide flat nose, gas checked. 28.0 grains 3031 pushes it at a chrono'ed 2000fps flat, out of the Winchester 54. Hell-on-wheels accurate and knocks deer ass-over-teakettle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Were I to use a jacketed bullet I would probably just buy a box or two of Remington Core Locts and go hunting.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/11/20.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If you’re looking for a project, find a decent/cheap 20 ga double and have some barrel inserts made.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

If you’re looking for a project, find a decent/cheap 20 ga double and have some barrel inserts made.

Ace Dube is still in business, www.mcaceak.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
From what I've read on Contender forums, many times, the 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip is the darling of the 30-30 shooters. If it works fro ma 14" Contender barrel is should work just as well from a rifle barrel.

I have a 14" contender, and that is the bullet I use. It shoots damn good, group-wise, but I haven't shot any game with it. Every time I get excited about hunting with it, I go to the range and discover how much of a pistol shooter I ain't.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Ace Dube is still in business, www.mcaceak.com

every time i get ready to order a set of 45-70 inserts from Ace something breaks on the place then i lose his address. going to email it to myself and save it. then my puter will blow up laugh

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I have a 14" contender, and that is the bullet I use. It shoots damn good, group-wise, but I haven't shot any game with it. Every time I get excited about hunting with it, I go to the range and discover how much of a pistol shooter I ain't.

I'm learning more here all the time. This place has got some good info.

My thuty thuty is addicted to 150s and 160s. Do y'all scope those contenders?

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RemModel8
I wouldn't even bother, but if I just had to, it would be 125gr Nosler, either BT or Accubond.

yup....agreed

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I figured I would let the dust settle a bit before I flapped my gums about what I use in my .30-30's (Winchester M54 bolt gun with 24" barrel, and Savage 99G takedown).

190 grain cast bullet, cast relatively soft (10-12bhn), wide flat nose, gas checked. 28.0 grains 3031 pushes it at a chrono'ed 2000fps flat, out of the Winchester 54. Hell-on-wheels accurate and knocks deer ass-over-teakettle.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/K6DbHUKm.jpg[/img
Were I to use a jacketed bullet I would probably just buy a box or two of Remington Core Locts and go hunting.

Dude! You got a Winchester Model 54 in .30-30? You Suck Dude! That is so damn Classic! I'm so jealous of you right now! It don't get any cooler than that!

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 130 gr Speer soft point works very well on deer, one of those over a moderate charge of H-335 has killed a few dozen deer at our camp over the last couple of decades. It is my standard load for kids, women, and those who are adverse to recoil. Mixed in with those has been 150 gr Sierra GK and 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips of the old style but they recoil enough more that it is noticed. I used standard 30/30 data for these.The 130 gr Barnes bullet has also worked well for some of the younger guys in camp though I haven't loaded any myself.

I have about 300 of the Speers loaded up but they are unlikely to get used this year as it appears there will again be no new shooters this year. The last new member is using one of my 8x57s with 150 gr bullets pushed somewhere between 30/30 and 300 Savage velocities. I would consider using a 30/30 next fall but I have plans to use something else. Maybe if a bonus tag for the cabin is issued I'll bring along one of my 30/30sthough there are several other rifles that need to be blooded too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have harvested a truckload of cow elk with the 160 grain FTX bullet for the 30/30 outta a pre war 300 savage 99.

There is no doubt in my mind a bolt action 30/30 handload could not be very similar in preforming at 200 yards or less.

The factory Lever evolution would preform most excellent on deer IMO.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know were there is a double 3030 made on a Parker 20 gage frame even still has the Parker take down case. Aaron Little makes them , saw one on here I think. he used a cz frame if memory is correct. god bless

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all for your ideas. I don't know why, but I thought that use of HPBT target bullets in a bolt-action 30-30 was far more prevalent.

I've got plenty of standard 30-30 bullets; I'll probably stay on the well-trodden path.

Gnoahh's idea of the cast bullet looks good as well. I've already got that mold. I will probably give it a try. After the Obama years, I'm always on the lookout for a DIY alternative.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I would recommend Nosler 125 gr. Ballistic Tip. I loaded for a friend in 14” Contender handgun chambered in 30-30. He successfully killed deer and hogs with that no problem.

Last edited by gldprimr; 07/12/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I'm learning more here all the time. This place has got some good info.

My thuty thuty is addicted to 150s and 160s. Do y'all scope those contenders?

Mine has a 2X Leupold pistol scope on it.

I had originally tried Sierra 150 grain .30-30 bullets in a plain ol' .30-30 load. The Noslers do shoot a tighter group, though. I haven't shot it lately, so I reckon that's one more thing that needs fixing.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 07/12/20. Reason: add pics
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,835 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,536
Posts18,453,048
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.