Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had a lot of success with the Haveaheart traps catching coons, but now they've "caught on" to the Haveahearts, and I've got to switch things up as I'm still having a lot of coon issues around here. Dog-proof traps have been recommended by a buddy who swears by them, and they seem like a good answer. I've probably got the bait situation figured out (marshmallows and a sweet syrup for scent), but could use some hints for securing them, as it looks like the spikes would pull out, and any tips would be gratefully accepted. I ordered four of the DPs, and need some advise on how to deploy them.

I'm trying to avoid catching the damned cats that hang around, (hence the sweet syrup and not something fishy). Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 07/06/20.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
The spike on the base is for placement not anchoring. I use fender washer anchors on mine with about a foot of 1/8 inch cable connected to the swivel. Rebar stakes work well also, length depending on your soil.
For bait I use the mini marshmallows and fish oil with some anise added for scent. Never caught any cats in mine but I don't set them in areas with cats... Skunks and possums will get in them. If mice start stealing your bait just place a small rock or walnut on top of the trap... a coon will knock it off to get at the bait. I spray paint my dog proofs as well as my conibears to keep them from rusting. Sometimes the first coon will have the paint worn off and the trap shined up and other times you might catch several in a trap and have very little paint worn off.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the trapsusa.com brand.

I forgot the price. $120/12? Made in the USA.

I bait them with a mix of dry cat food, corn, jelly beans, marshmallows amd gummy bears.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am trapping now at Deer feeders using the Dukes dog proof traps and they catch coons. Lots of coons. Miniture marshmallows work great. Wish hide prices were good. I could get rich.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JMHO- I don't like to put any liquids or sticky
mess in a DP trap. I'll use dry dog food or cat
food, or at a feeder the obvious bait is deer
corn .
For the uninitiated, they need to be staked
out twice as well as you think they do
A truck brake rotor is a good anchor if driving
a stake isn't practical in rocky soil.
Adding a good MB crunch proof swivel won't
hurt anything

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by glosto
. Wish hide prices were good. I could get rich.

I won't skin one for $3.00 either

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
FWIW the trapping supply companies
sell some DP molded soft plastic
baits made specifically for DP traps
for the type of trigger the specific DP
trap uses

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I keep them out pretty much year round, as there is a creek that goes through my property, and the coons really use it. I either drive a T-Post in the ground and wire it to that, or use a small tree. I have actually had two coons make off with traps, with one of them gnawing the tree down. I use dry cat food, and a dash of vanilla flavoring. I've caught coons using bait that had been rained on for a week, so I guess the freshness of the bait is not that important. I've caught possums, skunks, and a squirrel as well. Skunks aren't fun to deal with either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d like to find bait that doesn’t attract ants.

That’s problem i have with my mix. The sweet brings in the ants.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got some T-shaped foot-long tent pegs, I figure I'll drive them thru the swivel of the DP trap, and then put a 50lb. paving stone on top of it, so's they can't pull out that little stake. I wanted longer stakes, but couldn't find any because everyone's sold out locally. I strongly doubt that they can pull that out with that stone on top. They've been hanging around that stone for a couple of years, it's not new to them, so it shouldn't spook them away.

I think the damned coons have already killed the little kitten I was trying to protect. They've gotta go.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 07/10/20.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've got some T-shaped foot-long tent pegs, I figure I'll drive them thru the swivel of the DP trap, and then put a 50lb. paving stone on top of it, so's they can't pull out that little stake. I wanted longer stakes, but couldn't find any because everyone's sold out locally. I strongly doubt that they can pull that out with that stone on top. They've been hanging around that stone for a couple of years, it's not new to them, so it shouldn't spook them away.

I think the damned coons have already killed the little kitten I was trying to protect. They've gotta go.

I don't think that would hold around here even with the rock. I think that what you are talking about pegs are like some tent pegs I've got... like a big nail with a little plastic tee. If you're dead set on using the pegs then I'd recommend doubling or tripling some bailing wire to about 4 feet long and fasten one end to your swivel and the other to a concrete block... extend it on the opposite side of your rock from the trap. That way if he pulls the peg out he'll be dragging the block and may not get away.I don't think that the block will spook them at all.

Can you get any 1/2" rebar about 24" or so? You can weld a nut on one end... if you don't weld, your local muffler shop would probably do it pretty cheap or you can heat the rebar with nut in place red hot and hammer the nut mashing it to the rebar.
Coons are strong and if it can get ahold of a sapling or other solid object with the free front paw and use it for leverage to pull against your trap then he's probably not going to be there for long and he may get away with your trap on his foot.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use t posts driven in the ground and wire the trap to that with a spring between the wire and the trap. Agree, coons are strong. Marshmallows and whole kernel corn worked for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As already mentioned, just wire them to something solid and I wouldn't worry too much about new structures spooking them. I've only seen one cat caught in one and it was a kitten, I've caught tons of possums and skunks in them though, and a black bear got caught by the tongue in one here in the county a couple weeks ago.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use old kinked up snares to anchor them to nearby trees. Throw 4 or 5 clove hitches in the other end and let the coons tighten them for you. It wouldn't surprise me if a coon drug a 50lb paver out of the way and pulled up a stake. The last coon I trapped had broken both it's radial and ulnar bones trying to free itself.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just had to try out the tent pegs and paving stone on top of the pegs. Caught two young ones this morning. I had a trail camera up watching the traps, and that paver was just too much for them. Apparently, they weren't big enough to move the stone. I have 257 pics from that sequence, and they just couldn't get purchase on the stone to turn it over or even move it. Even when Mama Coon came to help, nothing helped. I DID double-up on the tent pegs, two per trap, then the stone. Looking at the pics, that stone is just too much for them. I doubt Mama Coon will get caught, but #3 coon cub just might be dumb enough to get caught. Two down, two to go, until the next bunch comes along.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Dog proof coon traps can turn anyone into a coon trapper in no time at all. I bait with marshmallows and cat food, no issues catching cats. Any type of jelly will also work for bait. I use 24 inch rerod stakes to anchor them down.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use a few different DP's. My favorite is the bridger T3 because of the circle triggers.

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
dog-proofs are fast and easy, especially if you only want to catch coon. You can use marsh mallows an sweet bait to exclude cats and possums. I used them extensively when trapping in places not legal to keep fox. I use the original lil griz and dukes. I don't like 2 way triggers.

The downside: you will only catch coon. I have seen numerous mink, otter, etc tracks exploring fish oil trails to my traps, and them pull the traps out of the ground, etc

Also, you need to be right on the coons path of travel, but there will still always be a certain % of refusals, a certain number of coon that won't reach into the trap.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by readonly
dog-proofs are fast and easy, especially if you only want to catch coon. You can use marsh mallows an sweet bait to exclude cats and possums. I used them extensively when trapping in places not legal to keep fox. I use the original lil griz and dukes. I don't like 2 way triggers.

The downside: you will only catch coon. I have seen numerous mink, otter, etc tracks exploring fish oil trails to my traps, and them pull the traps out of the ground, etc

Also, you need to be right on the coons path of travel, but there will still always be a certain % of refusals, a certain number of coon that won't reach into the trap.

I’ll say that I thought you could only catch coons in them, but I promise you can catch skunks and opossums in them too. I’ve seen me do it...a lot....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can avoid those by adjusting bait.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.