Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have any first hand insight on these? Slightly bigger than the Lund Alaskan, welded vs riveted and cheaper. Looks like a super functional layout for my uses at the top of the Chesapeake, crabbing, fishing and waterfowl. I don’t have delusions of fishing the main stem of the bay.

Looking to buy a 18’ SC with a 90 4stroke and a galvanized trailer before next spring.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by woodson; 07/03/20.
GB2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JMO
if I ever buy another new boat for whatever
reason, I'll be driving to Louisiana to one
of the boat builders like Hankos or someone
like that. They'll build whatever you want however
you want it built, and it'll still be serviceable
when you're long dead. They know how to
build an aluminum boat better than anyone
I can think of. If you want some kind of goofy
bracket welded on for some special widget,
they won't argue with you and try to chastise
you about it, they'll ask you how big and where
do you want it?
I still have and am happy with my Alumaweld,
but if I had it to do over, I'd be having a Louisiana
built boat instead

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
That will work fine for your intended purposes. It has a wider beam and a few inches of length on the Alaskan. Couldnt find any info on the chine. I really like reverse chines for the stability.

C
C
I like my Smokercraft, very well built!

Chinook3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
SmokerCraft are well built. I had a 16 footer and it was a tank.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Well i do agree that there are some very good aluminum boat builders in the south.
But thats not to say all the others are junk either.
Welded has an advantage, but aluminum hull thickness needs to be considered and compared also.
Thats a nice layout, but the ride could be a bit rougher in choppy water due to the helm location.
The Bass Pro Tracker Grizzly models are also welded, and could be used for a comparison at least.
Some time spent on the internet checking out other names like G3 boats, War Eagle, and Alweld, wont cost a dime, and will give you more insite as to whats out there.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think you might want to be careful. SmokerCraft are riveted boats, which is fine but make sure what youre getting into here. These are usually very lightly built boats to achieve a price point in my opinion. The transoms and keelsons are not as stout as you might like. So get your own eyes on one and make sure it is what you want. I have never seen a SmokerCraft which was awful but I've never seen one that is the equal of a Lund either. Not really close.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The open layout with a V bottom and no or minimal bow casting platform is really what I want.

Anyone have a polarkraft Outlander?

Last edited by woodson; 07/09/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I think you might want to be careful. SmokerCraft are riveted boats, which is fine but make sure what youre getting into here. These are usually very lightly built boats to achieve a price point in my opinion. The transoms and keelsons are not as stout as you might like. So get your own eyes on one and make sure it is what you want. I have never seen a SmokerCraft which was awful but I've never seen one that is the equal of a Lund either. Not really close.

Fake news. Lots of Smokercrafts are welded.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BKinSD

I prefer my Lund over Smokercraft as well, but the Smokers you find here are all welded now. They are in the “American Angler” line.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Woodson, did you ever find your boat? A really clean 1999 Lund 18' Alaskan just came up for sale here down the block. 2006 60 hp Yamaha tiller, trolling motor, EZ Loader trailer, spare, 8k or best offer.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No I’m not a buyer till next spring likely. That does sound like a deal though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I don't think that it will last long. The guy doesn't realize what he has. I sent a couple of pictures to my boat buddy and even he is interested. Lund doesn't make these any longer and I haven't seen many ever come up for sale. Newer boats are made from recycled aluminum that our Canada camp owner tells me are softer and they dent and leak more often.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My Dad had a riveted Smokercraft around 1970 and it leaked like crazy because the seats were riveted to the bottom. He ended up returning it and getting a Lowe. I guess the moral of the story is to avoid seats riveted to the bottom.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Am I crazy to worry about dealing with rotten wood more than rivets?

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My fear of buying a older boat in said configuration is redoing a transom or flooring.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I recently bought a brand new boat that didnt have any flooring. lol
But it does now, at least you could probably use the old floor as a template for cutting the new plywood.
Or have someone cut it for you.
On most aluminum boats, the wood on the transom is attached on the inside simply as a means to stiffen it.
Removing and replacing isnt an issue unless access is restricted due to the boat design.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My S14 Lund, like all Lunds in that era was over built and had an aluminum clad transom and splash rail that drained any water back over the transom before it even got into the boat. No small thing because we back trolled pretty often out of that boat. Right now the water is really high here and I’m pretty sure that the exposed wooden covered transom on my Alumacraft is gone being upside down up north. The exposed wood on my Mirocraft got replaced with one made from Nyloboard, a near indestructible synthetic board.

My other auto is a .45

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by woodson
Anyone have any first hand insight on these? Slightly bigger than the Lund Alaskan, welded vs riveted and cheaper. Looks like a super functional layout for my uses at the top of the Chesapeake, crabbing, fishing and waterfowl. I don’t have delusions of fishing the main stem of the bay.

Looking to buy a 18’ SC with a 90 4stroke and a galvanized trailer before next spring.

I looked at the Alaskan, good looking boat! The narrow gunnels need addressed for downrigger mounting! And the aluminum needs to be thicker overall! For near the same price Alumaweld, and Willy boats make similar boats of higher quality

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’ll check those out thank you for your insight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.