Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
J
joken2 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J

https://mrsteacherlife.wordpress.co...8o1n9wgBPfvUy-WUrRRgqF5HLFgMm6qCZ2X_inX4

Everyone has an opinion about how and if schools should reopen for this coming school year. We’ve heard from the governors, the pediatricians, the parents, the education secretary, and the president. Everyone has a “study” and “research” to back up their claims, but unfortunately (as always with decisions made in education) they do not have one very important thing- experience in a classroom. In classrooms filled to max capacity with five year olds who don’t even know how to blow their own noses, where the teacher:student ratio is 1:28 or in some cases even higher. Classrooms where the teachers are already begging parents for tissues, hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes, even in a pre-Covid world. Classrooms and hallways and bathrooms filled with teenagers who think they are invincible. School buildings with no extra rooms, without central air, where there are 4 sinks for over 200 students to use. As a teacher, I do have this experience, so I have many questions about how it will be possible and safe for schools to reopen. Nobody asked me- but since many other professions are giving their opinions about reopening, I thought maybe, just maybe, (it’s a little crazy but hear me out) we should hear from a teacher.

Let’s discuss hand washing. If an average class size of kindergartners is 25, then it would take 8.3 minutes for them each to wash their hands for 20 seconds- not too bad you might think. That’s doable- let’s reopen! Unfortunately that does not account for transition time between students at the sink, the student who plays in the bubbles, or splashes another student, or cuts in line, or has to be provided moral support to flush the toilet, because they are scared. It doesn’t account for the fact that only a few students will be allowed in the bathroom at a time and the teacher must monitor whose turn it is to enter and exit the bathroom, and control the hallway behavior, and send the student who just coughed to the “quarantine room” that doesn’t exist BECAUSE THERE ARE NO EXTRA ROOMS. Where are the students in hallway waiting? In line? All together? Six feet apart? No wait, three feet is okay now. Either way, 25 children standing three feet apart is a line over 75 feet long. Who is monitoring this line? Keeping them quiet, reminding them to keep their hands to themselves?

Another thing about social distancing. Even people who are not teachers have already figured out that there is not enough room in classrooms for all students to be six feet apart. No problem, we’ll just change the guideline to three feet. But what about all of the classrooms around the country that don’t even have room to put all of their student desks three feet apart? What about the classrooms that do not have desks and have tables where students sit in groups instead? Who is providing these classrooms with new socially distant furniture? Is there a budget for this or are schools getting increased funding? LOL NO, they are getting LESS funding. Oh okay, well maybe teachers will just buy it themselves out of their own pockets, as they do so many other supplies. Well I have bought A LOT for my classroom and students over the years, but I can not personally afford to buy them all individual desks. Even if the kids do have individual desk spaces, do they have to stay there all day? Do the kindergartners ever get to come to the carpet area for a story (spoiler alert- it is not big enough for 25 kids to sit three feet apart). Do they ever get to do centers? Sit next to a friend and read together? Can they even share books? I think before anyone gets to answer these questions, or more likely brush them aside, they should have to try to teach 25 five year olds how to sit in a chair on the first day of school.. and then get them to stay there all day every day.

So after we return to school without the equipment and ability to stay healthy and safe and a teacher or student gets symptoms, what then? The teacher or student should stay home to avoid infecting others, right? Well, a few things to consider: 1. Many times the kids are asymptomatic so they will be spreading germs unknowingly. 2. Many kids already come to school sick, sometimes dosed with medicine to mask fevers and symptoms, because parents have to get to work. How do we monitor this? 3. The symptoms of COVID are very similar to the symptoms that young children exhibit throughout the fall, winter, and spring due to common cold or allergies. And if teachers and students really stayed home every time they had a cough or symptom, they would probably be absent more than present. So do we have to ignore certain symptoms? Please clarify which symptoms are okay. 4. Staff are likely to have increased absences due to self-monitoring symptoms. Are they going to have substitutes for their classes? Substitutes can already be extremely hard to find. If we do find a sub- what germs are they bringing in? Where have they been? If they test positive do all schools they have been subbing at have to quarantine? 5. If a teacher or student tests positive for COVID, who quarantines? The entire class? The school building? Do we use sick days for this or is it unpaid? Do we switch to remote learning during the quarantine? Who is teaching the remote learning if the teacher is unable to work due to HAVING THE COVID THAT HE/SHE CAUGHT AT SCHOOL BECAUSE WE CHANGED ALL THE HEALTH AND SAFETY RECOMMENDATIONS JUST TO ACCOMMODATE PUSHING SCHOOLS TO REOPEN WITHOUT THE EQUIPMENT, SPACE, OR ABILITY TO KEEP STAFF AND STUDENTS SAFE?

Yeah, but students need to be in school for socialization! You are 100% correct there. Students need to interact and have human connection and learn social skills. Helping students learn to make friends, share, be kind, love learning, and become good citizens is one of the most important parts of my job. However it’s going to be hard to interact when students have to stay apart and impossible to learn to share if they can’t touch the same supplies. And guess what? That REALLY stinks. Everyone can agree this whole Covid situation bites the big one. Teachers WANT to get back to school- WHEN IT IS SAFE. We want to get back to seeing “our kids” in person everyday- WHEN THE CASES STOP RISING. Teaching remotely is not easy or fun. We want to get back in our classrooms- WHEN WE NO LONGER HAVE TO FEEL LIKE WE ARE RISKING OUR LIVES AND OUR FAMILIES LIVES TO DO SO.

We hear you, parents: Kids like school. They miss school. They learn more at school. They are annoying you at home. Teachers miss school too. We miss the kids (even though, off the record, they annoy us sometimes too)! But our top concern right now is that everyone is healthy and safe. Remote learning isn’t most people’s first choice, but it is a safer solution in the meantime, while we figure out this global health crisis. It is also hard to imagine how much learning would be taking place in the classroom anyway after they wait in their 75 foot long lines to wash their hands for 20 seconds multiple times a day. School days are already crammed full and now we will be adding in disinfecting constantly, monitoring for symptoms, sending kids to “quarantine”, trying to get ahold of parents, dealing with masks, giving “mask breaks”, etc. We were flying by the seat of our pants to make remote learning work last spring and I think teachers across the country did a pretty darn good job! But if we would decide now to make the safe decision for teachers and students and open with remote learning in the fall, teachers could be training and preparing and planning for online education, (instead of trying to open schools and then flying by the seat of our pants AGAIN to go online when it doesn’t work!)

We hear you pediatricians: Kids don’t usually get severe symptoms. They are usually asymptomatic. That is all well and good, but kids can still spread the virus to each other. They might not get sick, but they can take those germs home to their families. They can give those germs to their teachers, who can take it home to their families. Yes, we, as teachers, are used to being the sacrificial lambs. Yes, we protect our students and would take a bullet for them if necessary. We would give our lives to keep them safe when they are in our care. But I am not willing to expose myself to COVID and take COVID home to my family for the sake of having school in-person when that is completely preventable.

We hear you, governors: wE aRe hAVinG a haRd tiMe mAkiNg dEcisiONs. Yes, this is an ever-changing situation and we have all been keeping our fingers crossed, but COVID is not going away, cases are on the rise, the school year is approaching, and we need answers.

We hear you, Secretary of Education (“the first secretary of education with zero experience in public schools”): Blah, blah, blah. Please sit down.

We hear you, President: These CDC guidelines are too safe. Make them less safe and easier and cheaper to follow. Open the schools or I will cut your funding. The health and safety of this country’s children and teachers is more important than the economy. That should be obvious and not a political issue to be debated.

But what do I know? I’m just a teacher. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can understand why SHE didn't join the military.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
there'd be a different tune sung if staying home without pay were the only option.

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
there'd be a different tune sung if staying home without pay were the only option.

Bingo!

Fear the crabcat.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by RemModel8

I did. And I teach.

She is correct.

I recall boot camp where a few weeks in the "Ricky crud" started going around. 120 men in close quarters spread sickness quickly despite hygenic efforts.

School is the same, about three weeks in the sniffles start, colds spread. More difficult to enforce hygiene, as some students don't even shower on a daily basis.

I have a few high schoolers for whom we had to arrange time to use the school clothes washers and dryers as their laundry wasn't done at home.

Coronavirus will spread quickly in a school environment.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind

Bingo!

Most teachers I know would gladly go without pay to keep children safe.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The Covid is going to kill people. Heart disease, cancer, diabetes, traffic accidents, etc. kill people.

Locking down the economy again will kill more people.

How much poverty and despair would be caused to parents who can't go to work because their kids must stay home?

And if anyone thinks that teachers would gladly go without pay to keep the kids safe, you haven't spend much time in big city schools.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My wife is a special education director and probably has the biggest challenge with kids hygiene and she is 100% for schools opening up.

J
joken2 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by RemModel8

I did. And I teach.

She is correct.

I recall boot camp where a few weeks in the "Ricky crud" started going around. 120 men in close quarters spread sickness quickly despite hygenic efforts.

School is the same, about three weeks in the sniffles start, colds spread. More difficult to enforce hygiene, as some students don't even shower on a daily basis.

I have a few high schoolers for whom we had to arrange time to use the school clothes washers and dryers as their laundry wasn't done at home.

Hardly a year goes by that schools all across the country don't wind up having to temporarily cancel in-school classes due to low attendance caused by some kind of contagious "bug", then spreads at home.

Nothing more than pure fantasy if they think kids will wear masks properly, not touch their faces, maintain a safe distance from others, and follow all the other 'guidelines' all day long.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I heard another argument about opening schools (I too am a vet and a teacher).
Kids gets exposed, no big deal, goes home to Momma - who is obese, high BP, diabetic. Mom spreads to her sister and friends, and parents, Easily spread amongst that demographic, inner city, poor health, from the school. Yet, Parents do not want the kids at home for another year.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Bingo!

Feel good statement...

Go without pay for a few years and then get back to me about the joy in your life.

Money does not buy happiness, but poverty buys absolutely nothing.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Also, Not all students are 5 year old Kindergarteners, I have 15-20 year old high school special education students. Some are already mommies and daddies - in other words all grown up - yet we still have to provide for their education through 21...

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wont say open them or keep them closed. But it will spread quickly once they open in a month or so. The kids may not get sick but they will transmit it to members of their family. I'm not faced with the challenges these parents have with two working spouses and young kids not old enough to look after themselves. Or those families that have grandparents or high risk family members living with them. Lets not kid ourselves that it wont spread like wildfire. Maybe its good to just get it over with. I truly dont know.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Money does not buy happiness, but poverty buys absolutely nothing.

"People who say that money does not buy happiness don't know where to shop."--Joan Rivers

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bingo!

Depends on their situation. Are they older with savings , Is their house paid for, are they single Income or primary income or does their spouse have a job that will pay the bills. I bet if you ask a young teacher who is a single income or single parent with rent and a car payment they wont be wanting to go without pay.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Herd immunity will be completed in short order.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Friends of mine have twins who are supposed to be entering first grade. They are concerned with the lack of any information at all from the school district. Trying to get daycare or not is a huge concern.

A silver lining to this might be kids being away from the political indoctrination agenda.

I do agree that social skills acquired in person are better than those learned online.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The real argument for not opening schools: Trump and his pesky economy must be destroyed.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[

Yes it will.

The corona virus spreads quickly outside a school environment. It went to every country in the world in about 2 months. If the answer is closing schools and society one more time, what you gain? The spread is inevitable. You make a 1 year event a 3 year event.

If the answer is wait for a vaccine, how long do we wait? In the meantime the virus spreads with or without school, with or without another shutdown.

It is either highly contagious or it's not. If it is, just do the math. If it can circle the globe in 2 months and is seeded in virtually every single county in the US, how are you going to protect people from it? Even with the shutdown people still went to the grocery store, Wallmart, Home Depot. People still worked at hospitals, nursing homes and public safety. You cannot protect the public from every doorknob, shopping cart, or surface. Hey, anybody grab a gas pump handle lately? Anybody sterilize that before hand? Who had their hand on it before you?

What is the best possible overly optimist timeline to get a vaccine AND deliver it? If you had one by Labor Day and could you produce 300 million doses for the US alone AND deliver them in 6 months? If you could, they go to the most vulnerable people first - the elderly and the kids last because they are not as susceptible. So it's next Easter before the kids get the vaccine and convert.

No school for a year? I experienced a full online schedule this Spring with my HS Senior. That was a farce for him, and I can't imagine mom's of middle schoolers or 1st graders trying to on line. It would be a lost educational year. Who the phouc stays at home with the kids? You are not just advocating a school shutdown but a complete work shut down for 10s of millions of Americans to stay home with the kids. Not everyone can work remotely and how do you work remortely and monitor kids doing school, make them lunch, give them some down time? How many of those people lose employer healthcare because they can't work for a year, two years three? Now THAT's a problem!

Finally, if this thing is really so contagious, how many millions get before universal vaccination? Can you FORCE mandatory vaccination?

If this is so contagious, do the math, do we reach herd immunity before there is any possibility of a vaccine "saving all of us"?

My bet is that don't get a vaccine ready in 2020. These things aren't so simple. In the meantime, we will live with this thing for another year or more. Do the math. Shutdown or no shutdown what are YOUR numbers?
(you -meaning anybody) Do we have 2.5 million cases right now or 20 million as the CDC estimates?

If it 2 or 20 million, then thing is contagious and out of control and that will go to 40 million then 100 million long before the vaccine and salvation arrives.

Don't get me wrong, I want a vaccine as quick as possible. Without out it, we have to live with a spreading virus. Staying at home with everyone's heads under the cover does not make it go away. I am confident we will find effective treatments along the way, and some quickly that will mitigate the symptoms, shorten the course of the disease and lower the mortality. The overall concept that if we just stay home we will be saved is fantasy.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Then shutdown government run schools. No more taxpayer funding schools, teachers, bus drivers, lunch ladies. Give back big amounts in property taxes and other taxes used to fund them.

Let the parents figure out how they are going to educate THEIR children. Period.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,154
Posts18,465,082
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.