Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I see many requests for the best hunting boots/shoes. However, I would just like to get a pair of overshoes to pull over my work shoes to hunt with. My work shoes are great for hiking so they would be fine to hunt pheasants using them.
You remember the kind of rubber boots we had as kids in the 1950's and 1960's. They either had buckles or you could get them with zippers. If I remember correctly they were about 9" high.
Does anyone still make them? If so, where could I buy them?

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I haven’t wore rubbers in over 30 years

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember them well and hated them.

I don't know if they're still made commercially for consumer use, but you can still find various flavors of military surplus overboots.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Some western clothing/boot stores still sell them,but they are shaped to fit boots.
Amazon carries them too. Search for 5 buckle over shoes

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=5+buckle+overshoes+for+men&crid=27NXEN2QXL5IX&sprefix=buckle+overshoes%2Caps%2C210&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_16

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/11/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LaCrosse makes them. We had them at work. Heavy SOB's.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B2

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I used to get mine at Murdochs.Tall with buckles.They also have the short ones for shoes with a couple of buckles.
You can get them with regular toes or pointy roach killing in the corner toes for that type of boot.
They lasted a couple of winters at work.
Put plastic grocery bags over your regular boots and they will slide in and out easily
Do a search for Servus overboot

Last edited by WTF; 07/11/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to buy all types at any shoe store or department store for a job that required waterproof ultra hygienic foot wear. I've got a lifetime supply that will likely dry rot before they wear out because I haven't worn any lately.
You have a good idea though for hunting.
They're easy enough to clean with a scent free soap, baking soda or vinegar between hunts.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't worn them in 40 years but the main thing I remember is how hard they were to put on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

A little old polish lady ...was always complaining to her Doc......that she would get a rash on her bottom every time it rained.

After hearing this complaint from said patient too often.................................he asked her to come in next time it rained.

He had to cut the top buckles off her galoshes!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Always had those black rubber galoshes when I was a kid - when you'd take them off, your shoes would stay inside. I remember my grandpa telling me to "put on my rubbers." It was a few years later that I was struck by the humor in that.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Has anyone tried these nylon overshoes by NEOS? They come in a couple different heights. They look like they would be lighter weight than rubber but I don't know how well they hold up.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Wore rubber boots over my work boots when doing telephone work in manholes. Even after pumping out the water, utility holes are often left with several inches of filth.

Left those rubber boots on my truck when I retired..

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Basic training in '70. We were issued overshoes which were tied on the top of our packs. In spite of getting a lot of rain, we put them on exactly 1 time - after we'd been out in the mud for several hours and were soaked up to our necks. They were nothing but added weight in our packs to get us in shape. For that matter, after 50 years, they are the only thing I can remember that was in our packs. I don't remember what else was in there.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to wear the ones that look like slippers, over my leather hunting boots. Made them into a poor man's Maine Hunting Boot. Worked too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Has anyone tried these nylon overshoes by NEOS? They come in a couple different heights. They look like they would be lighter weight than rubber but I don't know how well they hold up.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Can't say I have. But a "friend" who needed help moving insisted on leaving a pair of gortex boots that looked exactly like those Neos, for me as a gift to remember him by. ....and I do.
He used them on the gas wells and said they were $900. They had a thick layer of mold that would have caused instant jungle rot if I put them on.
I'm not saying that those Neos aren't good. I just didn't want to look too close at his pair to see what brand the tag said.

They were heavier than the overboots when I picked them up to throw them out. Probably from the thick soles. I thought the idea was something someone could diy if motivated too. Because of gortex, they would maybe breath, which the rubbers don't. If someone could find one yard of it in a fabric store, the pattern should be easy enough. There's all kinds of stuff on YT for clothes and gear these days.
Theres gore tex socks too if anyone wants to go that route.

Personally, I like my hiking boots and one lightweight hunter made by Wolverines.....for hunting Ruskies during the warmer months.
When it rains, I don't go far, so rubbers or over boots might work well.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They’re still made but they’re borderline worthless when you consider what you can buy as regular footwear in 2020.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for all your replies.
Back when I worked for the local electric company I would get those yellow and black boots and rubbers that were good for 10,000 volts. I was teased because I wore them a lot while working. One day I got into primary voltage where it wasn't supposed to be where it was. I felt a little shock from it but it was hardly anything. After checking the area out I found out I could have been into 2400V primary. I felt good chewing out the line supervisor on his lack of concern for anyone's safety when they knew of the problem.
Later the division safety department came to the conclusion that it wasn't my fault I got into the primary voltage. Good thing I was wearing my rubber boots though. Could never yell at the line department for some reason.
I agree that I like lighter boots also but still would like to find some old-time boots. The Army/Navy stores in this area have been shut down for years now.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As kids, we would not buckle the buckles on the 5-buckles. This allowed snow to pack in from the top and also provided the joy of having the left and right boots suddenly lock together while running, resulting in some impressive headers.

Also, one cannot mention 5-buckle overshoes worn by kids without also mentioning the wearing of chore gloves (mostly yellow with either red or blue wrist cuffs - I once had a pair that were cat-schidt green with blue cuffs that were the envy of the rest of the boys in class). Multiple pairs were brought to school each day so that ones from the previous recess could be left to dry and become stiff as boards on the radiators while dry ones were worn for the next recess. If the gloves had some residue of cow tshidt on them, they provided a nice, earthy odor in the classroom as they steamed on the radiators.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Last edited by MD521; 07/12/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
For over 40 years, as a union electrician, I wore 2 buckle rubber boots for work when needed. In the winter, on a cold concrete slab or cold metal deck, they kept my feet warm. Or around a wet jobsite, they kept my feet dry. They were heavy, at least they felt heavy, but worth it. But I also wore ankle weights on the job to help stay in shape for the mountains!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 07/12/20.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.