Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I drew a any deer, anywhere in SD muzzleloader tag, here in my home state. I've done a ton of hunting over my lifetime but have never shot a muzzleloader before. I have a Thompson Encore and have just purchased a .50 cal barrel for it. Besides ammo (sabots, pyrodex pellets and .209 primers), what else do I need? The barrel I bought comes with a ramrod. What type of cleaning supplies? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I support world peace...one carefully placed round at a time.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
blackhorn209 would be a lot better choice for powder.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Black powder solvent works well, but so does Windex with Pyrodex, black powder or 777, but BH209, which is wiser choice, you use regular cleaning solvents that you use on your center fire rifles.

Using sabots,you might pick up some plastic bore cleaner/solvent that is used in cleaning shotguns that are shooting plastic wad cups

You can fine kits in the ML departments that have all the brushes,mops,jags, bullet puller and patch spuds to clean your ML

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/12/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Run Blackhorn and save yourself a lot of trouble. Premium bullets also seem to save a lot of headaches.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RandyR
Run Blackhorn and save yourself a lot of trouble. Premium bullets also seem to save a lot of headaches.

What he said, about the BH209 at least.

For me, Pyrodex has an unfortunate combination of being harder to light than BP and still corrosive. Some cling to it for reasons of their own, which is fine, but I never recommend it to anyone starting out. BH needs hot primers, a clear flash channel, and good bore resistance from the projectile for good ignition. Those things present, it's great stuff. 777 needs special, expensive primers to reduce the buildup of fouling in front of the chamber, and has gone bad on me for no good reason a time or two. Stiil, it works well when fresh, with good power.

If you can find it, real black powder is wonderful stuff, and not as hatd to clean as some seem to think. It can be hard to find locally. Fortunately, a guy near here has literally tons in his bunker.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've never used BH209, so I can't comment on that. This is what I use in my Encore. If you're at the range shooting it, I generally have to swab it out after about 7 rounds. When it starts getting dirty, I need to use my ball starter to push the ram rod all of the way in that last little bit. Like Pappy said, if I used hotter primers, I might not get build up in front of the chamber. But remove the breech plug and swab it out and you're good to go.

295 gr. 50 cal. Power Belt hollow points
Two 50/50 777 pellets
209 primers (nothing special)
TC Black Powder Bore Cleaner.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
To answer the OPs question:

You need a cleaning jag (I recommend boretech) and a cleaning brush (iosso nylon)

Depending on your bullet of choice you may need a special jag to start the bullet without deforming the tip

I’ve got an encore with a .50cal Bergara barrel. I shoot the following:

- 110 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209
- 250 grain Barnes TMZ (which is the yellow sabot and gives me a better fit and better accuracy than the Barnes TEZ blue sabot)
- CCI 209 primers

This is a 200 yard rifle for me.

I can’t recall if you need a different breech plug for the Blackhorn - I think you probably do

In my experience Blackhorn works very well for all the reasons noted above

I clean with Boretech shotgun blend as in my opinion it does a better job on the plastic fouling. No worries about copper fouling given the use of sabots

Hope this helps. My son and I have found that the extra 10 days we get on the front end of the season for Blackpowder season can be very productive and we’ve killed some nice bucks despite the fact that early October can still be brutally hot in our area

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One final tip, get the powder, primers, bullets, and sabots you need NOW. If you wait, you may lose out, or be forced to "settle". I bought a big jug of BH, have the other stuff out the wazoo, collected over a number of years.

One positive trait I've noticed about MLs, and not just inlines, is that at ordinary ranges, almost any load will land pretty close to others, which can be handy if you have supply problems.

For a special opportunity like yours, I wouldn't cut any corners I didn't have to.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have used and like blachorn in a 50 cal tc inline. Also really like these bullets, shoot very well in my rifle. Hard to argue with a big chunk o lead. I wonder about expansion with slower moving jacketed bullets.
https://www.prbullet.com/pts.htm

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
JD7 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I agree with the rest on the blackhorn but when shooting pellets I always found pyrodex pellets to be cleaner burning and more accurate than triple seven. CVA barrel blaster works good but so does simple green or alcohol for a cleaner. Anti seize on the breech plug. Mark your ramrod when loaded in a clean bore that way you have a reference to know you’re always seating your load all the way but you don’t want to crush the pellets

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigblock455
blackhorn209 would be a lot better choice for powder.

True that. This stuff is great (for me)
It’s works great cleans up easy.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Another vote for BH209

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

598 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,683
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.