Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
OT here a bit. But so much thanks to John 79S.
Finally due to a covid slow fishing clients year he drug me out to double string match at 600 the other day.

Its been about 16 years since I"ve shot a match. Used his gun and ammo. It was AR tactical. Was told by others we couldn't use a small bag on the rear so the gun moved way more than it would in a sling to me.

That said, no excuses, but I"m rusty and old. His gun shoots great. Load is accurate. But this isn't shooting off a bench at 100 yards to see if the gun is capable.

Richardson had some wind the other night. Match was 5-11 pm. Wind would come from right to left and then it would come up behind you and trickle down the range and wiggle waggle. The best flag to read on the range was not accurate to me. The ones that were had a wide variance of what they meant. And cease fire for small aircraft below 5000 feet were common.

Best one could do is try to set up in the 10 ring as best you could, and protect yourself from 9s and IF you got a condition bang em down as fast as the target would come back up from scoring.

195 and some Xs and 198 and some Xs. Not really pretty. Could be much prettier if I used a rear bag instead of using muscle power.

The folks at the Alaska Rifle Club are some great folks! They did an outstanding job running pits and match. although spray adhesive was new to me in the pits. LOL. And I forgot the double meatball if you accidentally pull a target from under someone. HARD to see the faces. No way to see impacts. Took me some time to get used to hearing the right crack of the bullet. But I enjoy pit puling too.

Even saw a relic with open sights on the line.

Thanks John! Sorry for embarrassing your rifle so badly. But seemed it was a decent score overall.

Just goes to show that 10 at 100 isnt nearly the same as 20 at 600 from position, with pit service and twitchy winds.

Jeff

Sounds like good times. All the more reason to be shooting a sub MOA AR-15. Regardless of how wobbly the human element is. In competition I would take a half MOA rifle over a 1.5 Moa rifle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
ARIC

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally due to a covid slow fishing clients year he drug me out to double string match at 600 the other day.

Its been about 16 years since I"ve shot a match. Used his gun and ammo. It was AR tactical. Was told by others we couldn't use a small bag on the rear so the gun moved way more than it would in a sling to me.

That said, no excuses, but I"m rusty and old. His gun shoots great. Load is accurate. But this isn't shooting off a bench at 100 yards to see if the gun is capable.

Richardson had some wind the other night. Match was 5-11 pm. Wind would come from right to left and then it would come up behind you and trickle down the range and wiggle waggle. The best flag to read on the range was not accurate to me. The ones that were had a wide variance of what they meant. And cease fire for small aircraft below 5000 feet were common.

Best one could do is try to set up in the 10 ring as best you could, and protect yourself from 9s and IF you got a condition bang em down as fast as the target would come back up from scoring.

195 and some Xs and 198 and some Xs. Not really pretty. Could be much prettier if I used a rear bag instead of using muscle power.

The folks at the Alaska Rifle Club are some great folks! They did an outstanding job running pits and match. although spray adhesive was new to me in the pits. LOL. And I forgot the double meatball if you accidentally pull a target from under someone. HARD to see the faces. No way to see impacts. Took me some time to get used to hearing the right crack of the bullet. But I enjoy pit puling too.

Thanks John! Sorry for embarrassing your rifle so badly. But seemed it was a decent score overall.

Just goes to show that 10 at 100 isnt nearly the same as 20 at 600 from position, with pit service and twitchy winds.

Jeff

Jeff,

Glad you had a great time! Yeah sad day the guy using the rifle out shoots the rifle owner! Lol. That wind was a real SOB lol. That’s the problem at the Ft Richardson range sometimes. The summer solstice match the conditions were perfect.
That’s something no one talks about and we discussed it on the drive back to the valley and that is carbon fouling and accuracy degrading.
I’m still pissed about that not letting you guys use a rear tactical bag. Next match I will add my two cents after the safety brief. I might just print the NRA rule book and have them keep it in a binder so people can read it.

Last edited by 79S; 07/09/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Jeff

Sounds like good times. All the more reason to be shooting a sub MOA AR-15. Regardless of how wobbly the human element is. In competition I would take a half MOA rifle over a 1.5 Moa rifle

Wouldn’t we all.. But when it comes to wind .5 moa rifle not going to help you.. we have F class guys who shoot a .5 moa 600 yd target 3 inch X that can’t even shoot clean. These guys have all the gadgets as well.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did anybody say read Zedicker's book yet??

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Jeff

Wouldn’t we all.. But when it comes to wind .5 moa rifle not going to help you.. we have F class guys who shoot a .5 moa 600 yd target 3 inch X that can’t even shoot clean. These guys have all the gadgets as well.

Thats where you are wrong. The 1/2 moa rifle is going to help you score better. Possibly 3 times better than a 1 1/2 moa rifle. The potential to score better is there. To say its not is total bs. The thing i do agree with you about is guys using all the fancy gadgets sometimes couldnt hit their azz with both hands, even if they tried. I was shooting offhand slowfire against guys last month. They were well equipped with fancy shooting jackets and all the other gear, including adjustable diopters and national match sights. It was sad when none of them could touch my score. I think i even made the comment that i wish i had a fancy azzed jacket. It might improve my shooting. Also i didnt realize you are shooting F class now. The mr1 target used for mid range has a 6" X-ring and 36" black. Stevie wonder could hit that with both eyes closed..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Jeff

Thats where you are wrong. The 1/2 moa rifle is going to help you score better. Possibly 3 times better than a 1 1/2 moa rifle. The potential to score better is there. To say its not is total bs. The thing i do agree with you about is guys using all the fancy gadgets sometimes couldnt hit their azz with both hands, even if they tried. I was shooting offhand slowfire against guys last month. They were well equipped with fancy shooting jackets and all the other gear, including adjustable diopters and national match sights. It was sad when none of them could touch my score. I think i even made the comment that i wish i had a fancy azzed jacket. It might improve my shooting. Also i didnt realize you are shooting F class now. The mr1 target used for mid range has a 6" X-ring and 36" black. Stevie wonder could hit that with both eyes closed..

Nope not shooting F class.. we use two different targets at 600 yds. F class use MR1F and we use MR1. Sling shooters and AR tactical use MR1 targets. While the geek squad uses MR1F targets. Yep it’s so easy even you can do it. Lol now go find a local 600 yd shoot! Report back. Also 36 inch black includes the 7 ring if a person is zinging 7 all day long they probably need to reconsider what they are doing lol. I had one lone 7 other day those 7’s suck. Was it me, the wind? After Jeff shot I knew it was me lol.

Last edited by 79S; 07/09/20.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll take the.5 moa gun all day long too. It helps a lot IMHO. But only if the shooter is good enough too. So many have the half moa and are 2 moa shooters. But a half moa shooter can't have a 2 moa gun..

The wind at Richardson was worth some. But far from the worst I've ever seen that night. but like I said its value was from 9 ring at 9 to x at 3 while I was shooting. The times I stopped it was worth more.

Don't sweat the bag thing. Its a non issue with me. Could care less. But will know better if I manage a next time.

Hope you are having luck with the carbon!

Again you have no clue what your generosity means to me! I'd say I was as happy as my 71 Year old client today with her 51 pound king salmon.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW if you dont' dry fire practice prone at home, you'll never get as far as without dry fire. For sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW if you dont' dry fire practice prone at home, you'll never get as far as without dry fire. For sure.

Yeah I’m not that serious, I have other chits to do. Fishing, caribou hunt, wife and daughters moose hunt, my Kodiak bear hunt then finish out the season on a rex trail moose muzzloader hunt in November. So yeah laying on the back deck dry firing not going to happen sure in the hell not happening from December through April.. This is just something to do..

Last edited by 79S; 07/10/20.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats one point too, it all depends on how serious you want to be.

RE dry fire in decemeber, same in many was as summer season in TX. we did almost all our dry firing in the house inside and at a target that represents size. IE small dot at 25 feet or so maybe.

To be honest it teaches a lot and if you do it for just a few months consistently you learn a lot IMHO. And though constant practice is good, its more what you learn rather than constant practice IMHO. certainly even just 5 minutes a day doesn't hurt. Just like I continually dry fire my Glock every few days to stay with it so to speak.

And YES I'd sure work much more on the hunting and fishing for sure!!! Its all in whats important to you. See how long it took to get me to shoot... prime example.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Jeff

Nope not shooting F class.. we use two different targets at 600 yds. F class use MR1F and we use MR1. Sling shooters and AR tactical use MR1 targets. While the geek squad uses MR1F targets. Yep it’s so easy even you can do it. Lol now go find a local 600 yd shoot! Report back. Also 36 inch black includes the 7 ring if a person is zinging 7 all day long they probably need to reconsider what they are doing lol. I had one lone 7 other day those 7’s suck. Was it me, the wind? After Jeff shot I knew it was me lol.

I hear that my friend.. Some days are better than others. Its cool that you had Jeff shoot your rifle. Like I've said before, he sets the bar high. Especially in the iron sight part of the black rifle challenge. I don't see a lot of guys shooting like he does, even the fancy shots from Portland and Vancouver with their high dollar equipment. Hell, I'd like for him to shoot my rifles too. He'd probably shoot them better and then say he's rusty.
grin

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You are a funny man.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh come on rost.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think it was TWR that said after he changed muzzle devices, he noticed his rifle shot better. I also replied to his post and said I had seen it as well. So, something that may need to be added to the list is muzzle devices. I was at the range yesterday and wanted to try a different muzzle device on my 6.5 creedmoor. After trying the brake last week, I decided I did not want that damn loud thing on the end of my barrel!! So, I ordered a linear comp. I've used these before and they did make a difference with redirecting muzzle blast. The one I tried yesterday was no different, except I was surprised it seemed to reduce recoil a bit as well, compared to just having a thread protector on it. In all, I believe my groups shrank as well after switching to this style of muzzle device. Yeah, I know it sounds funny, but the rifle seemed to be more consistently accurate. Here are some pics from yesterday:

The rifle seemed to be more consistently accurate, if that makes any sense. Anyone else besides me and TWR experience this? Oh, by the way, this was just a cheap linear comp I bought from Ebay. Its called the XN 6.5 linear comp/sound forward muzzle brake.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
I do use loctite to bed the barrel into the receiver, forgot about that.

UP, I didn't forget about the trigger, that was in the section of everything thing else is for you. A good trigger does nothing for the mechanical accuracy of the gun. It just makes it easier for us to shoot it.

As for squaring the bolt, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to measure it but I have a friend that had a gun that was just almost a great shooter. One of his customers and friends is a top shooter/Smith and he looked at it. He lapped the bolt into the barrel extension and viola, the gun came around. Ever since then I've played with bolts when everything else was done.

Another thing is don't over tighten muzzle devices. I use red or green loctite and get em timed by trimming the crush washer and count on a barely snug fit and the loctite to hold it.

Great suggestions on not over torquing the muzzle device. I've been playing with those recently. I was also on the net checking out different reaction rods for barrel nut and handguard and muzzle device R&R. I saw where one guy said they can damage your upper receiver, if you over torque the barrel nut or they can actually damage the upper if you have a barrel nut that doesn't want to come off. I guess the index pin and the receiver take most of the load when using the reaction rod. Some may say bs, but it is true. For that reason, I like the looks of this Midwest industries rod better, as it will use the charging handle groove for extra added strength. It also ensures your barrel gets aligned perfectly with the receiver and the bolt. Check this out:

Midwest industries upper receiver rod

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Does anyone else have anything to add to the list? I noticed a slight improvement today when shooting my S&W performance center creedmoor after installing an accu wedge. The upper to lower fit was pretty tight, but i did notice a slight movement between the two, so I installed the accu wedge to it, as I do my other AR's. I had to slice it pretty thin, as the fit was already pretty good. Accuracy of this rifle is pretty damn good. I've commented before that it has actually outshot my Tikka CTR 6.5 creedmoor at the 400 yard range, where I've shot a 1.5" 3 shot group at that range. It's a good shooter. Anyone looking for a good accurate 6.5cm in an ar10 type platform, should look into this one...
Here's how it did today:
Its not as quick as my AR15's, but I don't expect it to be. It recoils a little more, but is still a puzzy cat to shoot. Gotta love the 6.5 creedmoor, right?
This rifle had an issue right after I bought it. Before I took it to the range, I noticed the handguard was loose. Upon further inspection, I realized the barrel nut was the culprit. It was only about hand tight. I contacted S&W about this issue and they wanted me to send the rifle back to them for inspection. They said it shouldn't have left the factory that way. I totally agreed, but told them I made a barrel nut wrench myself and I intended to shoot the rifle to see how it did. They didn't like that idea and told me to send my new rifle back to them. I said if it shoots like chidt, I'd sent it back... I've yet to send it back to them, but was a little pizzed they left the barrel nut loose!!!!!

Hey, its cut out by hand, but it works like a champ...

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Does anyone else have anything to add to the list? I noticed a slight improvement today when shooting my S&W performance center creedmoor after installing an accu wedge. The upper to lower fit was pretty tight, but i did notice a slight movement between the two, so I installed the accu wedge to it, as I do my other AR's. I had to slice it pretty thin, as the fit was already pretty good. Accuracy of this rifle is pretty damn good. I've commented before that it has actually outshot my Tikka CTR 6.5 creedmoor at the 400 yard range, where I've shot a 1.5" 3 shot group at that range. It's a good shooter. Anyone looking for a good accurate 6.5cm in an ar10 type platform, should look into this one...
Here's how it did today:
Its not as quick as my AR15's, but I don't expect it to be. It recoils a little more, but is still a puzzy cat to shoot. Gotta love the 6.5 creedmoor, right?
This rifle had an issue right after I bought it. Before I took it to the range, I noticed the handguard was loose. Upon further inspection, I realized the barrel nut was the culprit. It was only about hand tight. I contacted S&W about this issue and they wanted me to send the rifle back to them for inspection. They said it shouldn't have left the factory that way. I totally agreed, but told them I made a barrel nut wrench myself and I intended to shoot the rifle to see how it did. They didn't like that idea and told me to send my new rifle back to them. I said if it shoots like chidt, I'd sent it back... I've yet to send it back to them, but was a little pizzed they left the barrel nut loose!!!!!

bsa, did you mention what powder and load?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Here's how it did today:

Sorry buddy, I didn't see your question until today. Here's a pic with the load data. Pretty much what I run with my other 6.5 creedmoor rifles, except with a 2.800" OAL for the P mag. Easier to post a pic with load data:

You'll also notice In the pic I list the S&B brass. It is because this rifle flings the brass and I don't like mixing that brass with my precision CTR rifles. I'll be shooting out to 1,000 yards with those rifles next year, if they ever open up matches again..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Here's how it did today:

Sorry buddy, I didn't see your question until today. Here's a pic with the load data. Pretty much what I run with my other 6.5 creedmoor rifles, except with a 2.800" OAL for the P mag. Easier to post a pic with load data:

You'll also notice In the pic I list the S&B brass. It is because this rifle flings the brass and I don't like mixing that brass with my precision CTR rifles. I'll be shooting out to 1,000 yards with those rifles next year, if they ever open up matches again..

Ahh. Thanks, bsa.

And yet another reason to try to locate some H4350.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
D
It’s a pain in the ass, if reloading isn’t an option and feeding other quality ammo in a quality barrel isn’t getting you the results you need, you can tamper with barrel harmonics by doing a couple things.
1. Do NOT excessively torque your muzzle device. This makes the barrel stretch when the barrel is heated after a few rounds and will scatter groups.
2.You can tune your muzzle device. Shoot a group and rotate it shoot another group. Record best group and use a high temp loctite and some clocking washers to set it in place.
3 this is the most tedious tip but can and will change harmonics. Originally torque your barrel but to 40 ft pounds, shoot a 5 shot group and let the barre cool. Tighten the barrel but 5 foot pounds and group again and cool. You’re groups will shrink and eventually get larger. Return barrel but torque to the best grouping.
Good luck!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 78 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.