Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Road.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
at 74 and somewhat damaged by a lifetime of rheumatoid arthritis, I'm one to drive my 4X4 to within 1/4 mile of a hunt area, walk with my rifle and home made shooting sticks to a spot that has served me well over the last ten years. I sit on the ground or a chair my hunting buddies set up for me and wait for the elk to come to a pond for water.....So far my elk numbers six and five of them cows. I'm lucky that the ranch forman brings out a tractor with a front end loader for field dressing and hauling the carcass to the ranch shed for hanging and boning out.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I started hunting when I was 11 and 58 years later, I'm still at it. Back then, we mostly hunted quail, rabbits or squirrels and seldom even saw a deer. I got serious about hunting deer in my 20's and never tried hunting elk until my early 50's and really wish I had started earlier. At 69 I can no longer climb mountains in CO where we hunted for 10+ years so now, I hunt deer, hogs and occasionally turkey. While I can't claim to be exclusively a meat hunter, although I have filled my freezer several times over with venison from hunts in OK, TX and SD. I still prefer to stop and stalk but the older I get, still hunting is becoming more attractive.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

Years ago heard this story:

Fred Bear did a presentation in some town in the Midwest. Afterward a young reporter for the local paper interviewed him, and asked: "Mr. Bear, you hunted all around the world, taking game from grizzly bears to elephants with bow and arrow. What's your absolute favorite kind of hunting?"

By then Fred was on oxygen, so sucked a little before he answered. "Well, kid, road hunting's been really good to me!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mostly a still hunter. Blacktailed deer mostly, elk occasionally. Centerfire rifle, handgun, muzzleloader ... depends on the day, depends on the cover. A small amount of predator calling. Some colony varmint shooting but not as much in recent years.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used to hunt whitetails with a passion, but after my FIL passed and I had to act as the game warden of my Wife's family land, I pretty much lost interest.

I buy my allotment of buck and antlerless tags so that I can shoot several deer with different rifles, different cartridges, and different bullets, but it is mechanical, not passionate.

Now I prefer to hunt fox squirrels with a couple different 17HM2 rifles. The long season, no other hunters, and a liberal bag limit makes for a more casual and unhurried day afield.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I hunt mammals with four legs. I love getting up close. I use a rifle but behave like a bowhunter.

My favorite is desert sheep. Next on my list is big white sheep preferably within 150 yards.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’m the kind of hunter that has to work 5 days a week but would rather hunt 6 days a week. Anybody need a professional hunter? I’ll take minimum wage.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I used to hunt whitetails with a passion, but after my FIL passed and I had to act as the game warden of my Wife's family land, I pretty much lost interest.

I buy my allotment of buck and antlerless tags so that I can shoot several deer with different rifles, different cartridges, and different bullets, but it is mechanical, not passionate.

Now I prefer to hunt fox squirrels with a couple different 17HM2 rifles. The long season, no other hunters, and a liberal bag limit makes for a more casual and unhurried day afield.

I’ve been having a real crappy day and the first half of your post made me realize that my best days are behind me. But hey, hunting squirrels by myself in the woods all day is something I could get used to.

Sorry the in-laws killed your passion. As my soul sucking boss likes to say, “you’ll have that”.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 07/16/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I mostly hunt elk still...And if not elk, then birds...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
My family are efficient meat hunters, processors & consumers !

Fish, small game, upland birds, whitetail deer, bear (list used to include moose, but not since the greatly reduced tag numbers) are our major source of protein.

Over the years, I'd say about the same, other than I never really hunted bear. I've killed a fair number of nuisance bears though. Paul and I inhabited the same old haunts never knowing each other. Now I live in Manitoba and my health is keeping me out of the field mostly, but I have enjoyed my hunting and fishing life in the extreme.

Brother Keith,

We are definitely blessed with an abundance of outdoor activities !

Strange that in an entire catchment area of roughly only 7000 people, we never did cross paths in the last 14 years.

Very glad you enjoyed your time here, & still left a little for us.

Nothing blessed me more than mentoring our Son & my wife's enthusiasm for hunting.

Deb only sat her hunter safety course, to help Doug get his hunter apprentice licence, when he was 12.

Was in a double tree stand, a day apart, with both of them when they harvested their first deer (both young bucks).

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Fall of 2010, out towards the Ski hill !

Enjoy your fond memories, of time well spent !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm one of those low-life "meat hunters", tho it gets expensive and time consuming at times.... almost on par with "trophy hunting". smile

I'm not "evolved" per the "steps" or "hierarchy " of hunters. "Trophy" hunters being at the top of course, according to this elitist BS.

I've been lucky enough to kill whitetail and mule deer, an elk, one wolf, dozens of caribou, 20 something moose, several black bears and Dall sheep and one goat.

I'd kinda like to whack a pronghorn some day...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 76 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.