Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Seems like buying another scope would be much less of a PITA.

This - you're working harder to avoid another scope, than keeping it simple with a second scope with QD rings.

I used the Leupold QR system on a couple rifles for several years.

My need was a lower rifle profile in the travel case, and the QD made sense to me.

I confirmed zero once I got the hunting destination, and wasn't off more than a click that I recall - my results with the Leupold were positive, and I think you could dial the zero for second rifle - IF you knew for 100% that the scope would not fail to be repeatable.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/08/20.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
So you have two rifles and your scope pukes,you now have two worthless rifles.Bad idea.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I go the opposite direction. I use QD mounts and rings to have a pre-zero’d spare scope, two scopes for one rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
If you think about dimensional differences and inexactness of hole placements in the two different receivers and base sets vs the fixed position of the rings attached to the scope you may start getting an idea of the feasibility, or rather the lack thereof, of your proposal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There are so many good scopes for a reasonable price this makes no sense at all. Like the others I go for two scopes for traveling rifles.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
There are so many good scopes for a reasonable price this makes no sense at all. Like the others I go for two scopes for traveling rifles.

Pretty much...... like having 1 set of tires for 2 cars.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For the price of ammo burned to verify zero every time you swap scopes, one could buy another scope soon.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Too many decent scopes around for under $200 for me to even consider this, and that doesn't include used ones, and discontinued models. Burris FF, Bushnell Trophy, and Weaver come to mind right off. I use some of these right now and have had zero issues, including drama while zeroing.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
So you have two rifles and your scope pukes,you now have two worthless rifles.Bad idea.

Another positive-thinker!

Hail Brother!

What fresh Hell is this?
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
The best thing would be to simply try it.
If it works for you, then it works, which it dosent seem to be here. lol

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The rings should fit on the scope differently for each rifle. Unless the two rifles have exactly the same action.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two Dakotas and only one scope?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably seems like way back old school to younger shooters with the variety of scopes/features available today, but I used one scope for three rifles for quite a while in the 60s and early 70s. B&L sold adjustable scope bases/mounts (v shape) and a very good plain tube scope in some fixed powers - I had a 6X with a very nice reticle and those mounts fixed on three rifles - 7X57 Mauser, 300 H&H Mag and 22/250, No adjustments in the scope - a simple tube stoutly made with excellent glass and ultra dependable - never went sour, Sighted and set the mounts as desired on each rifle - instant swaps - each ready to go.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had been thinking of posting a similar reply but you beat me to it.

What a lot of younger shooters don't realize is that in the 50's and 60's, when that type of mount was popular, a good scope cost as much as the rifle did. So having to only buy one scope for use on multiple rifles had a great deal of appeal. I have owned a couple of pre-64 Winchester with those mounts and they performed perfectly. Pull the scope from one rifle, put it on the other and go kill stuff - no need to worry about adjusting the zero every time. Also no need to worry about scope tracking since the adjustments are part of the mount and are external.
The downside of those mounts is that they were fairly heavy compared to the lightweight mounts that are now available.

Here is a link for anyone who isn't familiar with that type of mount - http://www.bauschandlombscopemounts.freeservers.com/scopes.htm

I that a similar mount made by Stith with a Stith Bearcub 4X scope, and I also seem to recall mount made by Echo.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good post - essential aspects in bold. Had a Stith setup once too - very well made and worked like a charm.

Originally Posted by drover
I had been thinking of posting a similar reply but you beat me to it. What a lot of younger shooters don't realize is that in the 50's and 60's, when that type of mount was popular, a good scope cost as much as the rifle did. So having to only buy one scope for use on multiple rifles had a great deal of appeal. I have owned a couple of pre-64 Winchester with those mounts and they performed perfectly. Pull the scope from one rifle, put it on the other and go kill stuff - no need to worry about adjusting the zero every time. Also no need to worry about scope tracking since the adjustments are part of the mount and are external. The downside of those mounts is that they were fairly heavy compared to the lightweight mounts that are now available. Here is a link for anyone who isn't familiar with that type of mount - http://www.bauschandlombscopemounts.freeservers.com/scopes.htm I that a similar mount made by Stith with a Stith Bearcub 4X scope, and I also seem to recall mount made by Echo. drover

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

77 members (AGL4now, Ashworth, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 979 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,497
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.