Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve
One of my best friends is in a wheel chair because of a fall. Went through my mind as I moved my legs to make sure they worked.

Just recently I damn near ended up there. I was 100% paralyzed for a little bit including breathing but luckily it all came back. I've been up and down ladders my entire life but this was the one, I don't intend on ever falling from a ladder again.

Gad you're OK.

BTW, No PTSD!!

Ode to Jeff0.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logger
If they don't feel stable on the first or second step, I dismount and make a better position..

That was my mistake. "I just need to mark this rafter..." Crappy step ladder, too.

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Very dangerous. You can be just 4 feet off the ground and if that ladder kicks out something really bad can happen to you.

And yes, 60 year old guys don't bounce as good as teen agers do.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by deflave
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

That's great! That stupid fugker deserved every bit of pain he suffered. Musta been a liberal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sooner or ladder into each life a little Steve must fall...

Glad you survived.

Take you pride out for a beer. and a side of advil.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Amazing how brave you can get with ladders. Guilty of that. I try to behave myself though as I get older and have more to lose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
started my ladder diving in 1975. stepping off top rung of a 26 foot aluminium. it slid straight out at the bottom. i left claw marks from the top of the wall to where i hit. also took out 3 sets of fireblocks on the way down. broke both ankles and 3 vertebra in my back . the thing that hurt worst was the handle of my framing hammer smacking me up side the head. crazyDr at that time told me id be in a wheel chairby the time i was 45. haven't believed a Dr since.
the wife won't let me on a ladder anymore. she has a builtin radar so that all i have to do is pick one up hundreds of feet away and she appears with that look on her face.
have some siding needs replaced and she won't let me do it.
was staining the siding one time on the upper floor . standing on the porch roof. 4/12 pitch. easy peasy. stepped on a patch of ice. brand new carhart coveralls. 1 gallon of $50 a gallon stain. Daughter was sitting inside the picture window as i went by. "Mom, dad fell off the roof again" and went back to watching tv.
still have the coveralls, they stand up by themselves, so stiff with stain.

Last edited by deerstalker; 07/12/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was a kid, I had an extension latter leaned up against a tree. I was near the top. The legs lost traction on the grass and slid away from the tree while the top rung slid down the tree right in front of my eyes. I accelerated rapidly in a negative vertical direction. When the ladder hit the grass, I was laid out on top of it. Those rungs bent me into a pretzel. Amazingly, I walked away - after I caught my breath.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Number one cause of death in my industry. We required fall protection whenever one went into the construction site.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm a retired electrician and spent 40 plus years on ladders of all shapes and sizes. After being on 6' ladders for a while and then using an 8', I hated it when I stepped off the 8', thinking I was still on a 6', and would step off 1 step too early! It's quite the jar and surprise! The stuff we used to do off ladders! Glad you're okay!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I'm a retired electrician and spent 40 plus years on ladders of all shapes and sizes. After being on 6' ladders for a while and then using an 8', I hated it when I stepped off the 8', thinking I was still on a 6', and would step off 1 step too early! It's quite the jar and surprise! The stuff we used to do off ladders! Glad you're okay!

Same here. On commercial jobs we used to 'walk' our ladders running conduit rather than climb down and move it 10'. No spring chicken anymore but I bet I can still walk one!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some people are nuts. My BIL is an electrician and is fearless. Some years ago, they came for a visit when our cherries were ripe so he volunteered to help pick. I gave him an 8' step ladder. He stood on the top step, the VERY top, and picked. The slightest misstep would have dumped him.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to work in a plant with 30' 3-legged wooden ladders finishing laminated beams. OSHA saved a few of us when they discovered them.

I quit using ladders about 10 years ago, and after falling off my back step two weeks ago and breaking my hip I can see handrails in my future.

Be careful where ever you are----flat smooth earth is still safe!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Watched DaninAlaska slide and tumble on a ladder getting off his boat yesterday... sort of slow motion ladder collapse... he bounced right up, but the ladder had to be re-restraightened. Had the camera in my hand and had just stopped videoing the tractor extraction. Missed it by that much!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Steve
...Hurts a lot more when you're 60 than when you're 16.

And you don't heal nearly as fast either! BTDT

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Spent 15 years on ladders, daily- 16,24,32.

Then....I fell off one at home, a 6ft step ladder. Only knocked the wind outta my lungs. Reminded me of flipping a swing set., haha

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am getting ready for rotator cuff surgery as we speak because of a dreaded ladder.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gentleman I replaced on the job took a spill in his basement and died. At 82 and had rarely been sick in his life.

1Minute
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Chores on a 6 ft. Werner (and then only 2/3 of the way up) is all I will attempt these days.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I wonder if Jell-O will post about his experience?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.