Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
wife and I spent the day restoring a decorative pond we had in the front yard. Small thing - its like 5X5 and 2.5' deep

went to get some water plants and the place we went to sold fish. Wife was looking at Koi, I said screw that. I bought 5 large mouth bass and threw then in it.

right now they are 2". When they get too big, I'll take them to the local fishing pond and let 'em loose and go get 5 more.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should pellet train them.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
the woman that sold them to me said for my size pond once they get about a foot long they'll jump out of the water. I don't know how long it takes for a bass to get that big.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Herons came and ate my fish. I bought 4 dozen little feeder fish and ended up with a half dozen good looking gold fish.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got feeder fish that are up around twenty inches now and very colorful.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
the woman that sold them to me said for my size pond once they get about a foot long they'll jump out of the water. I don't know how long it takes for a bass to get that big.
She's absolutely right. My dad has a small landscape pond in his side yard. A little bigger than yours, maybe 6' wide x 10' long x 3' deep. I put a few bass in it one summer and by fall they were all gone. Dad kept finding them dead on the lawn all summer.

KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How big were they?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Years ago we put in a 15x15x3ft deep triangular pool in a fence corner at school, had a recirculating waterfall and everything. But it had to be self sufficient so we only put two cheap Walmart fantail goldfish in there along with cattails, water lillies, some algae, topminnows etc. Didn’t take long for those goldfish to grow as big as softballs.

All was well for some years until one disappeared, so I sat and waited some distance away the next evening. Sure enough a great blue heron came in low over the school, folded up and descended upon the pond, a moment later it stepped out holding the other fantail, beat it against the ground once or twice, pointed its beak up and swallowed it. It looked like a softball again sliding down the heron’s neck.

Had to take that pond out, liability, it had to be 3’ deep or else it would have overheated in the summer.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How big were they?
10 - 14".

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Whatever you put in, better put in a heater in the winter, or it'll freeze solid.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Paging Mr. Dutch.

But basically it will depend on how much you feed them.

And, in case you are interested in these kind of things, it might be best to check your local fish regulations before taking them to the local fishing hole. First, if your fish have contracted some sort of "disease", you could be unleashing it in the local waters. Second, it might cost you a fine and maybe more.

You have a cat? Dog? might be best to just feed them to your pets or maybe the neighborhood skunk?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Dang gold fish make excellent catfish bait. A 12" goldie would be on a trot line or bungee for sure. C'mon fatty flatty !

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Isnt koi another name for carp ?

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Yup. Fancy foofoo name for a goldfish

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Torqued
Yup. Fancy foofoo name for a goldfish

Nope, different fish, koi have a whisker on either side of the mouth, different scales and grow larger than goldfish.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Kind of a combination of goldfish and carp.

Size like a carp, limited by the size of the pond, but colorful like goldfish.

Separate species from either.

Live up to 70 years.

They will get to know you, and you can pet them like a dog.

Good pet for a fisherman, as you learn just how good fish eyesight is.

They can tell the difference between me and my brother, who unfortunately resembles me.

They'll swim up and let me pet em, but he walks up in the same color shirt, and no go.

Makes an angler think.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every year I raise 3-6 hatchling snapping turtles for a year or so and then release them. Four years ago I got a scoop of crappie (fathead) minnows to feed the turtles, but although the turtles love them, the slaughtered minnows fouled the water so bad I ditched the idea. I put a couple dozen minnows in a 28 gallon tank and after an initial die off a handful of survivors held on. Every few months another minnow would die and now they are down to three. Still, after four years I'm impressed. I should probably release them - they earned it.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Years ago my boss under duress constructed a small koi pond about the size of OP’s. His wife stocked it with half a dozen koi.

The next day or two maybe was hot and a moose laid on them

Paul said he didn’t know whether to cry , cuss, laugh, or all three.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Whatever you put in, better put in a heater in the winter, or it'll freeze solid.

Down here the problem is heat.

Over time a sufficiently deep (at least three feet) garden pond will assume the average air temperature of the setting, which in July and August around here is about 85F.

Goldfish are remarkably tough fish, actually cold water but obviously can survive considerable heat.

OTOH our topminnows got so out of control I put in an oscar. That guy got big and survived until late November, when the average temps got down below 60.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JOG
Every year I raise 3-6 hatchling snapping turtles for a year or so and then release them.

Ya just never can tell.

Ya talk to a guy online for years and even meet him in person and have no idea the Dude raises snapping turtles, and then releases them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 71 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,449
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.