Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 80 of 95 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 94 95
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Supposedly reading from the same book too on many occasions.
So if you read a book and somebody else reads the same book, and both of you draw different conclusions from that book, does that mean that something is ‘wrong’ with either of you...? Does it mean that something is wrong with either of your conclusions...? Does it mean that something is wrong with the book...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Your opinion on a matter is ‘yours’. People clearly and often see things differently amongst themselves. Regardless of them being non-believers or believers.
So everyone is a winner. All faiths are correct and valid?
If that’s ‘your’ opinion, so be it.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Ringman

You need to talk to a Ph.D. geologist about how deep the water would be is the land was smoothed out

At a crude guesstimate, the answer is about a half mile to a mile deep.

But that's IF the land was smoothed out.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Supposedly reading from the same book too on many occasions.
So if you read a book and somebody else reads the same book, and both of you draw different conclusions from that book, does that mean that something is ‘wrong’ with either of you...? Does it mean that something is wrong with either or your conclusions...? Does it mean that something is wrong with the book...?

If two people of reasonable intelligence read the same book of facts (ie non-fiction) and they aren't getting the same facts, something is wrong with that book. Your talking about fiction.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Your opinion on a matter is ‘yours’. People clearly and often see things differently amongst themselves. Regardless of them being non-believers or believers.
So everyone is a winner. All faiths are correct and valid?
If that’s ‘your’ opinion, so be it.

You have a unique perception on faith. It's a pity all the other believer's didn't think the same - could've saved a lot of bloodshed over the millennia.

Well?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If two people of reasonable intelligence read the same book of facts (ie non-fiction) and they aren't getting the same facts, something is wrong with that book. Your talking about fiction.
So if two people read the same history book about the American Civil War, and one is a southerner and the other is a yankee...but they’re ‘both’ Americans...then if they aren’t both drawing the exact same conclusions from that book - then something is wrong with the book...?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

You need to talk to a Ph.D. geologist about how deep the water would be is the land was smoothed out

According to the Bible God created the earth. Could He not smooth it for a special judgement?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Doc was gleeful when this went 800 replies.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What is there to be drawn from the bible? Are we to accept without question what the ancients believed?

As an evolution of belief, the god of the bible began as a war god of the tribe of Israel, transformed over time into a universal creator, the ultimate God, yet still angry and intolerant.

New testament times brought change, Greek thought and influence softened the character of god somewhat....so it is clear that this not 'divine revelation' but human thought and human belief.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

According to the Bible God created the earth. Could He not smooth it for a special judgement?

You know what? You gotta get up very early in the morning to outwit Ringman. Although I disagree with him on a lot of things, he always has a good comeback. No complaint about that.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Driven by desire and fear, faith is a poor means of sorting fact from fiction.
Nobody’s forcing any of it upon you, yet you seem to be ‘bothered’ by what others choose to believe about these matters. Why is that...?

I didn't say that anyone is being forced against their will. Its just a question of how convictions are formed, how will is formed.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by DBT
Driven by desire and fear, faith is a poor means of sorting fact from fiction.
Nobody’s forcing any of it upon you, yet you seem to be ‘bothered’ by what others choose to believe about these matters. Why is that...?

It makes some people nervous.
wink

Not really. Having beliefs questioned appears to make some nervous...and at times angry.

Last edited by DBT; 07/12/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess Mount Everest, Denali, Mount Ararat and the rest could have popped up since the ice age flood. If I can find a PHD geologist I'll ask him.

Last edited by Hastings; 07/12/20. Reason: added last sentence

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
New testament times brought change, Greek thought and influence softened the character of god somewhat....so it is clear that this not 'divine revelation' but human thought and human belief.
Your assertion above of “it is clear” is simply your opinion. Others are of the opinion that if someone will die for you...then they are ‘for’ you...and that can certainly influence someone’s thought and belief regarding the ‘softening of another’s character’.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So if two people read the same history book about the American Civil War, and one is a southerner and the other is a yankee...but they’re ‘both’ Americans...then if they aren’t both drawing the exact same conclusions from that book - then something is wrong with the book...?

If there's disputes over the facts either the book is wrong, or the readers are wrong or biased and not willing to accept the facts. So, yes there are errors somewhere in the process. Your logic comparison with faith is saying to read whatever facts you choose to believe. Not a rational stance, but the crux of how believers seem to work.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If there's disputes over the facts either the book is wrong, or the readers are wrong or biased and not willing to accept the facts. So, yes there are errors somewhere in the process. Your logic comparison with faith is saying to read whatever facts you choose to believe. Not a rational stance, but the crux of how believers seem to work.
Or it could simply be that different people see things differently. Different people feel things differently. Different people experience things differently...even when it’s the ‘same’ experience. People think about things differently. To say that that’s “not a rational stance” is your opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
I guess Mount Everest, Denali, Mount Ararat and the rest could have popped up since the ice age flood. If I can find a PHD geologist I'll ask him.

Finally you are making some progress!

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Or it could simply be that different people see things differently. Different people feel things differently. Different people experience things differently...even when it’s the ‘same’ experience. People think about things differently. To say that that’s “not a rational stance” is your opinion.

You're saying then that facts are irrelevant, and only perceptions are important. I kinda think that we got to where we are technology wise due to observance and development of facts (ie science) - just remember that you benefit from a legacy of prior fact concurring understanding and development. Are you a hippy by chance?

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're saying then that facts are irrelevant, and only perceptions are important.
You’ve said from start to finish here that there are no “facts” in the Bible. And I do think that perceptions ‘are’ important, especially when it comes to the Bible.
I kinda think that we got to where we are technology wise due to observance and development of facts (ie science).
I think so too, “technology wise”.
...just remember that you benefit from a legacy of prior fact concurring understanding and development.
No doubt, but that’s not ‘all’ that I benefit from.
Are you a hippy by chance?
lol

No.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you folks don't realize Who God is. Remember the pale blue dot that is the earth in a photo taken from Pluto? That was just this solar system. God created not just this Galaxy but all of them. Infinite is, well, Infinite!

Everyday Hunter
Page 80 of 95 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 94 95

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
568 members (10gaugeman, 219DW, 160user, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.