Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Nobody, from the Guvnor to the principal, wants to sign off on a back to school policy.

Not because it may jeopardize children's or faculty health.....but because it opens them up to liability.

Yeah, with 3 kids in the local school system I'm waiting to see what happens....paying close attention. The current plan for our local is clear as mud. I do think most of the local folks want to do what's best....they just aren't sure what that is.

Anybody that hasn't put the pieces together at this point is a cull.

Or pulling a union lever.

Try getting parts from can-kickers, butt hurt and the "sick" askeered.

Trump bad, non-maskers bad, protesting, flag burning statue topplers good.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rem141r
teachers unions better be careful what they ask for. a properly run charter school would kick the absolute ass of most public school systems at a fraction of the cost and much more efficiently. and with a hell of a lot of companies are getting rid of hard office space, mine included, it opens up a whole new way of working and educating.

Charter schools are already making serious inroads here, the two biggies being IDEA and Harmony. IIRC Harmony is financed by a Turkish billionaire hence the Moslem-style minaret profile over their entrance. From what I gather IDEA sucks to teach at, a lot of micro-control by Managers with minimal teaching experience.

All this Charter school program with private corporations receiving tax dollars is new, and the jury is still out. The charter schools make extravagant promises but have not had the time to establish a rep, one way or the other. I have had disillusioned parents, good parents, pull their kids out of IDEA because of giving kids answers to statewide exams and what they felt rose to a level of harassment any time their kid was absent, IDEA's funding dependent upon kids in their seat in class.

OTOH I have a good friend who is a reenactor, he even got an NRA grant to equip a unit of high-school level War of Secession reenactors. That guy now teaches at a charter school, small class sizes, a free hand at what he teachers. Absolutely LOVES it. But that ain't an IDEA or Harmony school.

.... someday the public school system will be where only problem kids with schitty families end up.

Depends on the location of the school and the socio-economic strata it serves. For the most part, if you live in a crappy, lower-economic area anywhere in America that is a result of the lifestyle choices you make. San Antonio is rapidly growing, I could get a job at a high end public high school on the far North Side. Those schools aren't really suffering from charter schools because they have modern facilities and few crime problems. There is still a huge appeal innate in the classic American high school experience with all the traditional extra-curricular stuff.

....someday the public school system will be where only problem kids with schitty families end up.

My own particular schtick these past three decades has been teaching bright kids in a rough area, helping push them up and out to professional success, because even in crappy areas there still is a lot of good parents who have good, well-raised and secure kids. Unfortunately there is also a lot of kids who AIN'T well-raised and secure. Security is good on campus but we still get the occasional gun recovered on campus and more often lockdowns because of incidents in the area.

Charter Schools can pick and choose their students, which is tremendously reassuring to worried parents, they also have the luxury of kicking kids out, which public schools do not. So in the last few years a significant proportion of the kids I would get to teach are being siphoned off to charter schools.

I feel a probably misplaced loyalty to my particular school, and I am in it for the duration while many around me have always transferred out. God willing I'm gonna go another seven years to age 70. This charter/public school situation is still in flux, eventually some sort of equilibrium will be reached.

I used to think huge inroads would be made in a switch to online education, this Covid thing has changed my perception of that. Online education is about like Homeschool, some parents are willing and able to devote the time and effort, I would think a stay-at-home parent is essential. For the average teenager, left to their own devices, you can't get Jack done effectively.

JMHO

As to the original point; open the schools and monitor closely. I fully expect this school year to start out a train wreck, fearful kids, fearful parents, all wearing masks, but its gotta be done.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by sherm_61
It's easy for some to bash on teachers, I'm certainly no fan of unions especially teachers unions but to lump all teachers as dumb I challenge anyone to come to my wifes special education school and do what's these teachers do every day, I've seem a little tiny bit of it and theres no way I could do it.
My wife started out as a para then took a night job for 8 years as a janitor so she could get her special education degree then worked as a spec ed teacher for 13 years got here masters deg and administration endorsement and all while working full time. She now has been a director for 5 years and has loved every minute of being a spec ed teacher and now director.
As the ole saying goes dont knock it untill you walk a mile in my shoes.

What are your wife's thoughts on the schools reopening?

Fugg that.

The question is does she vote with the union.

No offense to your wife, but the mileage has been cake since March...

You have no idea, my wife is as conservative as anybody out there.
Sure as Hell hasnt been cake for my wife or staff been to her office every single day 10 hrs a day. Alot of extra B.S
Like I said you wanna follow her for a couple days she would be more tha happy to let you, you'll be enlightened.
As to what she thinks about the school opening, she wants them open PERIOD!!! shes willing to do whatever it takes as long as it's not impossible like when they said could open the schools in Montana as long as you did what the health department rules said which was impossible.
By the way Montana administrators are not in the union, you dont have a clue.

Last edited by sherm_61; 07/12/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
It's easy for some to bash on teachers, I'm certainly no fan of unions especially teachers unions but to lump all teachers as dumb I challenge anyone to come to my wifes special education school and do what's these teachers do every day, I've seem a little tiny bit of it and theres no way I could do it.
My wife started out as a para then took a night job for 8 years as a janitor so she could get her special education degree then worked as a spec ed teacher for 13 years got here masters deg and administration endorsement and all while working full time. She now has been a director for 5 years and has loved every minute of being a spec ed teacher and now director.
As the ole saying goes dont knock it untill you walk a mile in my shoes.

What are your wife's thoughts on the schools reopening?

Fugg that.

The question is does she vote with the union.

No offense to your wife, but the mileage has been cake since March...

You have no idea, my wife is as conservative as anybody out there.
Sure as Hell hasnt been cake for my wife or staff been to her office every single day 10 hrs a day. Alot of extra B.S
Like I said you wanna follow her for a couple days she would be more tha happy to let you, you'll be enlightened.
As to what she thinks about the school opening, she wants them open PERIOD!!! shes willing to do whatever it takes as long as it's not impossible like when they said could open the schools in Montana as long as you did what the health department rules said which was impossible.
By the way Montana administrators are not in the union, you dont have a clue.

Ok. I dont have a clue.
When was your wife last on the clock?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Friday July 10th, Her contract is 225 days a year.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I don’t know if the schools down here are going to open or not. It will be interesting if they don’t.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A re-print from Solidarity House, All will be forgot with a 20% hazard pay increase.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Are there a actually kids there?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Are there a actually kids there?

No not since April I think it was when they shut the schools down.
What are you getting at?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You think shes slacking when they shut the schools down,
that didnt mean that they didnt have to come up with curriculum for online teaching

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

that didnt mean that they didnt have to come up with curriculum for online teaching

Oh for fugk sake.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

I dont think anything....other than the pay is the same for not separating cans from bottles, creating curriculum or spending ten hours a day on Hulu or Amazon.com..

Send me 1000k a day and I"ll plan the curriculum. I'll send you back $350 for keeping quiet, the 50 bucks goes for keeping the "10 hour a day" theme rolling for all of us.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Oh for fugk sake.

You used to be from montana, come around to Kalispell and follow her around for a few days and see all the medicare, medicaid, IEP's and all the other Federal B.S paper work she has to do for 17 schools.
FOR FUGK SAKE!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Oh for fugk sake.

You used to be from montana, come around to Kalispell and follow her around for a few days and see all the medicare, medicaid, IEP's and all the other Federal B.S paper work she has to do for 17 schools.
FOR FUGK SAKE!

TSizzle, you aint drunk enough to combat this logic.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems like the gist here is whether a teacher should be on salary or paid by the hour, and in this time of Covid whether the contract should be breached and the salary should be retroactively cut.

These debates generally fall into two camps; those that know actual teachers and those that don't.

Sherm; fugg those ragging on your missus, its just casual Campfire spite anyhow.

FWIW I already have my contract for next year, but there's always a clause every year that they don't have to honor it if enrollment changes.

Time will tell <"shrug">

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Oh for fugk sake.

FOR FUGK SAKE!

Your wife works for 17 schools?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Seems like the gist here is whether a teacher should be on salary or paid by the hour, and in this time of Covid whether the contract should be breached and the salary should be retroactively cut.

These debates generally fall into two camps; those that know actual teachers and those that don't.

Sherm; fugg those ragging on your missus, its just casual Campfire spite anyhow.

FWIW I already have my contract for next year, but there's always a clause every year that they don't have to honor it if enrollment changes.

Time will tell <"shrug">

Capt. Peace Corps turned school teacher.

I’m sure all your opinions are sensible.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If my kids were still little I'd pull them and homeschool. But they're in HS, and barring armageddon that's not gonna happen. Fugg the public school system and liberal shidt eating teachers they employ is my honest assessment. But again, my taxes go into it whether I like it or not.

If the kung-flu were as deadly as first (and erroneously) reported I'd be all for it, along with the masks, restrictions, blah blah blah. But as time goes on the stats show simply that it's not. Send the kids back to school, or shut em down and lay off the teachers without pay, and let my taxes reflect it. Schools are germ factories, we don't shut it down for the seasonal flu, or any of the other common communicable diseases. Educating kids has taken a far back seat to indoctrination of kids anyway.

Boomers are shidting their pants right now and holding the country hostage, along with their allies in the left field of politics.

MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's easy sitting behind a computer being a pussy key board commando, like I said one week of cleaning kids of soiling themselves, seizures and just about everthing you can imagine and 99% would be going home crying to momma.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Oh for fugk sake.

FOR FUGK SAKE!

Your wife works for 17 schools?

For fugg sake, there are 24 time zones in the world, she should be allowed 7 hours off for sleep.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.