Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The S is just starting to hit the Fan. Could cool off in a few weeks, could get worse. Much worse.
Do y'all have any survival food?

The best food to get is corn, wheat and beans in five gallon buckets, nitrogen preserved.

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/buy-organic-yellow-dent-corn-for-sale

43 pounds of corn for 80 bucks. That is a lot of food. Along with that, you buy a bucket of kidney beans, you have the perfect nutritional mix. Protein, complex carbs, fiber and massive B vitamins. You ought to get a hand-grinder, but you could get along well without it.

Just those two buckets, you and your wife could live on that, alone for 3 months and be in pretty good shape.

Add to that a bucket of wheat, and a bucket of non-milled oat groats and y'all are off to the races.

You can buy all kinds of freeze dried food, and it is great I have eaten lots of them. But your biggest bang for the buck is these 5 gallon buckets of nitrogen packed grains and corn, and beans.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
The S is just starting to hit the Fan. Could cool off in a few weeks, could get worse. Much worse.
Do y'all have any survival food?

The best food to get is corn, wheat and beans in five gallon buckets, nitrogen preserved.

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/buy-organic-yellow-dent-corn-for-sale

43 pounds of corn for 80 bucks. That is a lot of food. Along with that, you buy a bucket of kidney beans, you have the perfect nutritional mix. Protein, complex carbs, fiber and massive B vitamins. You ought to get a hand-grinder, but you could get along well without it.

Just those two buckets, you and your wife could live on that, alone for 3 months and be in pretty good shape.

Add to that a bucket of wheat, and a bucket of non-milled oat groats and y'all are off to the races.

You can buy all kinds of freeze dried food, and it is great I have eaten lots of them. But your biggest bang for the buck is these 5 gallon buckets of nitrogen packed grains and corn, and beans.

Gunpowder still burns, I’ve heard.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

I’m not planning to live on corn and beans.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

out the back door

need I say more ?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Hardtack, evaporated milk, peanut butter, honey. That is what I carry in the boat in case.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I saw a post on FB recently with a recipe for a food that will supposedly last for decades. Can't remember all the ingredients, but had jello in it. Made bars that you dehydrate in the oven. Didn't actually sound bad.

MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Look up PEMICAN. Mt man survival staple.
Meat, blueberries, and a lubricant.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Peanut butter generally lasts about a year, unopened and kept in a cool place. There have been times when I damn near lived on JIF, crackers and cheese.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Biggest concern for me is two weeks down time if/when I have to self-quarantine. I already have the dogs covered, I need more rice and beans.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I just ordered up treatment for 20000 gallons of water. Figure I will just go cannibal, survival KISS.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rice and Soy sauce will store indefinitely and make almost any fish edible.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorta related, I recently found a copy of Tom Brown's {i] "Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants"[/i], I had forgotten all about that guy.

Apparently he's still around and still running a survival school in New Jersey where according to Wiki he runs sweats and his version of Plains Indian ceremonies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brown_Jr.

Wrote a book about "Healing the Earth" as recently as 2019.

Gotta admire the guy for pulling this all off smile

Wiki casts doubt upon the existence of his buddy's Lipan Apache grandfather, who ostensibly sent Tom off down that path.

Small world! Back in the 70's this figure was as remote to me back in NY State as anyone, turns out there's a bunch of Lipans in San Antonio, tho many off of any Tribal rolls, I've taught some of their kids. There coulda been a Lipan "Stalking Wolf" sixty years ago as Mr Brown claims I guess, especially if he was raised in Mexico.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have 90 potato plants planted. Just butchered a beef today, have another ready in nov. Quite a few dried, and canned goods stocked in. Lots of deer and elk around. Sure glad I don't live in, or near a Metro.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
White rice and pinto beans are the best calories for $ and store well for decades. 5 gal bucket, mylar bags, oxygen absorbers.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I could kill a couple of deer a day on my property, right from my house. Along with squirrels, rabbits, doves and turkeys. Trout streams and warm water fisheries near by. We wouldn't go hungry.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mac, and cheese.

I'd lose a lot of weight on a survival diet. The idea is to survive, not get fat.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Sorta related, I recently found a copy of Tom Brown's {i] "Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants"[/i], I had forgotten all about that guy.

Apparently he's still around and still running a survival school in New Jersey where according to Wiki he runs sweats and his version of Plains Indian ceremonies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brown_Jr.

Wrote a book about "Healing the Earth" as recently as 2019.

Gotta admire the guy for pulling this all off smile

Wiki casts doubt upon the existence of his buddy's Lipan Apache grandfather, who ostensibly sent Tom off down that path.

Small world! Back in the 70's this figure was as remote to me back in NY State as anyone, turns out there's a bunch of Lipans in San Antonio, tho many off of any Tribal rolls, I've taught some of their kids. There coulda been a Lipan "Stalking Wolf" sixty years ago as Mr Brown claims I guess, especially if he was raised in Mexico.

Is he the one that came up with that stupid "tracker" knife?

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Not too worried up here. The county has ~60 cases. Deer in the yard, neighbors with large gardens.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The old Sourdoughs use to live on the sour bread, beans, some bacon if they could get it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A few years back, I put up some rice and some dry
beans ( about 30 pounds IIRC) in some metal cans
to avoid rodents, and it all went rancid in about a
years time. I don't know if it was the extremely high
humidity of the far northern Big Thicket, or for some
other reason. I never did try the sealed nitrogen
packed foods available from vendors such as
NitroPak and the like. I have had good luck with just
regular canned goods that I store in a spare insulated
drink cooler so as to avoid temperature extremes.
I just rotate them out regularly. I mark the date stored
and the expiration date in big letters on the can

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.