Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Plus overall crime has dramatically increased in Minneapolis

Posted: July 12, 2020 2:05 PM
Updated: July 12, 2020 2:06 PM by Associated Press
Minneapolis police
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — More than 150 Minneapolis police officers are filing work-related disability claims after the death of George Floyd and ensuing unrest, with about three-quarters citing post-traumatic stress disorder as the reason for their planned departures, according to an attorney representing the officers.

Their duty disability claims, which will take months to process, come as the city is seeing an increase in violent crime and while city leaders push a proposal to replace the Minneapolis Police Department with a new agency that they say would have a more holistic approach.

While Floyd’s death in May and the unrest that followed are not the direct cause of many of the disability requests, attorney Ron Meuser said, those events and what Meuser called a lack of support from city leadership were a breaking point for many who had been struggling with PTSD from years on the job. Duty disability means the officer was disabled while engaged in inherently dangerous acts specific to the job.

“Following the George Floyd incident, unfortunately it became too much and as a result they were unable to, and are unable to, continue on and move forward,” Meuser said. “They feel totally and utterly abandoned.”

He said many officers he represents were at a precinct that police abandoned as people were breaking in during the unrest. Some officers feared they wouldn’t make it home, he said, and wrote final notes to loved ones. People in the crowd ultimately set fire to the building.

Mayor Jacob Frey issued a statement saying that COVID-19 and unrest following Floyd’s death tested the community and officers in profound ways. He said cities need resources to reflect the realities on the ground.

“In the meantime, I am committed to supporting those officers committed to carrying out their oath to serve and protect the people of Minneapolis during a challenging time for our city,” he said.

Meuser said in recent weeks, 150 officers have retained his office for help in filing for duty disability benefits through the state’s Public Employment Retirement Association, or PERA. So far, 75 of them have already left the job, he said.

Police spokesman John Elder questioned Meuser’s figure of 150, though he does expect an increase in departures. The department currently has about 850 officers and will adjust staffing to ensure it can do its job, he said.

The city said it has received 17 PTSD workers compensation claims in the last month, but when it comes to PERA duty disability, officers are not obligated to notify the Police Department that an application was submitted. Meuser said the city isn’t being transparent about departures, and the numbers it sees will lag as PERA benefits take months to process.

Doug Anderson, executive director for PERA, said 150 officers seeking duty disability from one department would be high. PERA approved 105 disability applications from both police and firefighters statewide in all of 2019, including 60 claims for duty-related PTSD and 20 for other work-related injuries.

PERA is primarily a retirement plan, in which members and employers contribute funds. Members who become disabled can receive a disability benefit until age 55, at which time retirement benefits kick in.

A high percentage of those on duty disability do not return to the job, Anderson said.

“It’s a disability that as a general rule is a permanent designation entitling them for benefits for the rest of their life,” Meuser said.

A high number of people taking PERA disability likely won’t impact the city budget immediately, as the city’s rate of contribution to the plan is fixed, though the Minnesota Legislature could increase contribution rates. The city can incur significant costs if the leave is classified as “duty disability,” because the city would continue to pay for the officer’s health insurance.

To apply, an officer needs supporting documents from two physicians. A third-party administrator ensures applications are complete. If there is a discrepancy, PERA can require an independent medical evaluation. The Police Department could also challenge an application, and there is a process for appeal. Denials and appeals are uncommon, Anderson said.

Meuser made his announcement amid an increase in violent crime. From Thursday night to Friday morning alone, nine people were shot in Minneapolis, including one fatally. Police data analyzed by the Star Tribune show that at least 243 people have been shot so far this year, compared with 269 in all of 2019.

Asked about his timing, Meuser said he believes Minneapolis officers are being unfairly tarnished, and it’s time to call out “decades of failed leadership” in the city.

Meuser opposes calls to dismantle or defund the Police Department, and said he hopes the news that veteran officers are leaving will make the public reassess the city’s current trajectory.

“The men and women in public safety who give their heart and soul to serve Minneapolis and keep it safe deserve to have Minneapolis leaders to step up and supporting them,” he said. “Instead of spending time plotting the dismantling of the force, let’s come together to improve community trust and work towards a safer city for all. “

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
And, the city will re elect another incompetent, liberal mayor and city council, the next election. All the riots, burning, looting, killing by a bad cop, and the high level of crime, should sit on the shoulder of these and the previous incompetent leaders.

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Well good for them. And the mayor.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I thought they finally admitted that they all had IQ below 70.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Brilliant.

Dis the cops. Stand down. $500,000,000 of damage to mostly-black owned businesses. Defund cops. Cops claim PTSD. Cops leave. Pay cops for the rest of their lives.

Will the last person out of Minneapolis please turn out the lives.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This is a beautiful thing and will be seen nationwide, I’m thinking.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Phony disability claims, the doctors that play along, the lawyers that pursue them, are one of the reasons American workers can't compete on the world market. It's one of the reasons Social Security is unsustainable. It's fraud, the crooks that perpetrate it are just as bad as robbers and looters.
When my son and I were logging, the comp insurance rate was 100%. Think about that, if we hired a kid to set chokers for 20 bucks an hour, not counting the other payroll burden, just state comp insurance payments alone, we were shelling out 40 bucks an hour. That is why the industry had to go nearly full automation, for big bucks, squeezing out the little loggers like us, because just one machine runs around a half a million bucks. Next time you buy a sheet of plywood for 45 bucks minimum, you can thank the comp doctors and lawyers and fraudsters.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Phony disability claims, the doctors that play along, the lawyers that pursue them, are one of the reasons American workers can't compete on the world market. It's one of the reasons Social Security is unsustainable. It's fraud, the crooks that perpetrate it are just as bad as robbers and looters.
When my son and I were logging, the comp insurance rate was 100%. Think about that, if we hired a kid to set chokers for 20 bucks an hour, not counting the other payroll burden, just state comp insurance payments alone, we were shelling out 40 bucks an hour. That is why the industry had to go nearly full automation, for big bucks, squeezing out the little loggers like us, because just one machine runs around a half a million bucks. Next time you buy a sheet of plywood for 45 bucks minimum, you can thank the comp doctors and lawyers and fraudsters.

I hear what you’re saying, we all do.

The city of Minneapolis, Chicago, New York, and others deserve this and the long term costs involved as do the taxpayers that voted their leadership into office. Compared to the whole, this is minor.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And it's all Trump's fault.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wish those lazy ass mobs would get into the ‘burbs.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by deflave
I wish those lazy ass mobs would get into the ‘burbs.

Get your wallet out...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by RemModel8
And it's all Trump's fault.

Thats the plan.

Minnesota stupid will follow it like a My Pillow add or a re-run of Little House.

Trump [bleep] with your sleep and jacking with Lutheran churches sure to be the issue.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Wait until the “not guilty” verdicts start rolling out.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That place is going to fuggung explode soon. I'm so glad i don't have any family in that schithole to worry about.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The fact is that the cops who arrested George Floyd did nothing wrong. Floyd’s autopsy proved that the knee on his neck did have anything to do with Floyd’s death. He had a heart attack that was caused by the drugs he took, his poor health and the stress of resisting arrest.

[Linked Image from ]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ConradCA
The fact is that the cops who arrested George Floyd did nothing wrong. Floyd’s autopsy proved that the knee on his neck did have anything to do with Floyd’s death. He had a heart attack that was caused by the drugs he took, his poor health and the stress of resisting arrest.

It will be interesting when all of the facts come out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Recruiting for police officers all across America just hit a solid brick wall. The standards will either have to be greatly reduced or the incentives will have to be greatly increased. None the less, virtually no one with any credibility will apply. Nurses and teachers are next. Hang on to your hats boys and girls.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kwg020
Recruiting for police officers all across America just hit a solid brick wall. The standards will either have to be greatly reduced or the incentives will have to be greatly increased. None the less, virtually no one with any credibility will apply. Nurses and teachers are next. Hang on to your hats boys and girls.

kwg

AKA, get thee away from big, liberal cities.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
This is a beautiful thing and will be seen nationwide, I’m thinking.

This ^^^^^^^ Screw the city for the screwing they have been giving to the cops.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Going to bring the Wife to southern MN next week to spend time with the grandbaby. Going to go over 100 miles out of my way to avoid the poophole cities. I will smile all the way.

MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.