Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Reminds me that I need to be more diligent with hot work in the garage. It'd sure suck to set it off

Dad's neighbor was cutting something with an acetylene torch. Some slag hit the line and he awoke inside a ball of flames. Managed to roll out the overhead door onto the lawn and saved himself. Shop burned down in a matter of minutes. 20x20 backyard "in-town" shop that had been used for wood-working and reloading ammo for ~30yrs.

Last edited by horse1; 07/12/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I dont put anything beyond those sneaky freaking muzzies.

One of them declared war on the good old USA and when Hannity asked Clitman about it he laughed, saying we could cut military spending 40% as the world was safe and we has no enemies. Sucker took down 3000 Americans in NYC iirc.

One of those highly cecorated officer bastids killed a bunch of service men and women in Ft Hood.

Then, it seems I remember a real sneaky pos muzzy named Barry Soretoro, or some such, from Afreaka becoming a pos US president. shocked

Yeah, I dont put nothing past them. wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/12/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some contract welder from Yemen on one of them work Visas from EAU through Saudi..... Jag warned us.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by horse1
Reminds me that I need to be more diligent with hot work in the garage. It'd sure suck to set it off

Dad's neighbor was cutting something with an acetylene torch. Some slag hit the line and he awoke inside a ball of flames. Managed to roll out the overhead door onto the lawn and saved himself. Shop burned down in a matter of minutes. 20x20 backyard "in-town" shop that had been used for wood-working and reloading ammo for ~30yrs.

Really check. Thanks for sharing.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by old_willys
Local San Diego TV says the fire is expected to burn several days?

They did not mention what was the fueling the fire.

Well that cannot be good. If a fire is going to burn for several days, even on a military ship, she's not going back into service as she will be too structurally compromised?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure why some like Mac and Geno are so upset with Jag asking how many Muzzie Democraps were on board. He was not wishing the boat to burn to kill MD, but if one of them may have started the fire. Given the state of the world and America, one could also wonder if it was a Chicom, a BLM, a Trump hater. Until one knows what started the fire, I think anything may be questioned.

While I don't appreciate everything Jag posts, I don't question his patriotism. Louis L'Amour would describe Jag as a man to ride the river with.

Last edited by AB2506; 07/13/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by g5m
If not too much trouble, can someone mention a bit about this type of ship's role and capabilities are?

Here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Bonhomme_Richard_(LHD-6)

A bunch of whoopass.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I'm just glad it was in port. Fire at sea can be bad.

I fought several pier side fires when I was in the Navy. All arson IMHO yet all were attributed to other causes. During the Iranian Crisis all were headed to the I.O. The damned Navy didn't want to admit it had a real problem with personnel. Post Vietnam drug infested service that was not addressed until Reagan after the Nimitz incident in 1981. Reagan "swabbed the deck" after that, no tolerance policy.

What was an issue was that when the ship reached the I.O. the dope would dry up, can't have that.

By then I was thoroughly disgusted with the service. I had a real FTN attitude. Too damn many commands covering up too damn much [bleep] directly related to a weak hand on drug and alcohol issues. At all cost do not bring discredit to the command. Lies and sacrificing good sailors was the cost.

Had they really dug into the history of the thing many officers would have been drummed out for concealing facts.

Last edited by Armednfree; 07/13/20.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If not too much trouble, can someone mention a bit about this type of ship's role and capabilities are?

Is it really that difficult to do a Google search?

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Last boss I worked for when in the car biz had served on the BHR...

As to 'fires at sea', yeah they can be something else.. Only had that happen once on the sub - E-6 electrician was walking the catwalk alongside the 'cubicle' in the maneuvering room when he lost a 15" crescent wrench off his tool belt.. Dropped right across 4-6 battery buses and BAM - flash fire in maneuvering...

The boys had their chit together. I was in the aft torpedo room when it hit. I had that bulkhead door sealed NOW - same thing for the E-6 Engineman on duty in the aft engine room. He, and a crew of three more went in there with masks and extinguishers and had it out inside 2 minutes.. In the meantime, my superior in the aft room was loading 'red smoke-stars' to warn the ships above that we were comin' up - and comin' up RIGHT NOW..

Other than some smoke damage and cleaning off the bars from melted wrench we got off lucky...

I sure hope they get that fire on the BHR out asap... No good..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AB2506
I'm not sure why some like Mac and Geno are so upset with Jag asking how many Muzzie Democraps were on board. He was not wishing the boat to burn to kill MD, but if one of them may have started the fire. Given the state of the world and America, one could also wonder if it was a Chicom, a BLM, a Trump hater. Until one knows what started the fire, I think anything may be questioned.

While I don't appreciate everything Jag posts, I don't question his patriotism. Louis L'Amour would describe Jag as a man to ride the river with.

Agreed.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BFaucett

if everybody did a google search ....why have a forum?.....did it really hurt you for him to ask that......bob

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
That's interesting.

Hopefully it doesn't have a full load of aviation fuel and weapons.

Not sure if it's in mothballs or not. Toured it as a kid in Scouts many many years ago. Old diesel flatop I believe.

Wrong. It isn't even an aircraft carrier. It is what is called an LHD which is an amphibious assault ship.

Yeah, I had to take off for a 2.5 hr trip to the big town, shopping, then the return trip, and when I saw the news last night realized they had named a new ship Bonhomme Richard. Haven't lived in San Diego since the early 90's so I didn't know they built a new one with that name.

Something I'm not fond of. But the Navy does things their own way.

Some folks in the maritime industries will not name a new boat the same as an old retired one. Tugs and fishing vessels for one. The may name it the New Jolene, or as in one tug I was on, the Mary Gail II, but will not give a new hull the same name as an older vessel. Bad Ju-Ju to them.

Sorry to see it burning, whichever vessel it was. And more concerned about the injured.

Any of you Navy folks know if they scrapped the old carrier?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Being an amphibious assault ship, it probably would carry whatever rotary wing the Marine Corps uses, plus landing craft.

Just heard on Fox that it's an amphibious assult RIFLE ship! No kidding!

I've been out of the Marine Corps for 20 years, maybe they came up with a rifle ship....lol MSM cant be wrong.

I think it even has a high capacity magazine.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by AB2506

Agreed.

Well, having heard the little bit of news from my folks down there, that it was a welding incident, I didn't automatically assume it wasn't a die hard MAGA Trump 2020 supported who fell asleep while welding because he'd been watching Hannity. So why even question whether it was a "muzzie'.

Might have been a Pilipino cook in the galley making lumpia and the fryer exploded when he dropped his ever present coffee cup and splashed it into the grease.

In it is contentment

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Fire was supposed to have started in the deep-v lower cargo hold (though cause isn't yet known). No munitions on board but there was 1 million gallons of fuel. Ship is 23 years old, and is expected to be a total loss!

Phil

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by BFaucett

Difficult? No, not at all. Was fairly busy and seeking input from the guys here, not Google. If you have issues with it, I suggest a beer may help?

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Being an amphibious assault ship, it probably would carry whatever rotary wing the Marine Corps uses, plus landing craft.

Just heard on Fox that it's an amphibious assult RIFLE ship! No kidding!

I've been out of the Marine Corps for 20 years, maybe they came up with a rifle ship....lol MSM cant be wrong.

I think it even has a high capacity magazine.

Clips man.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Fire was supposed to have started in the deep-v lower cargo hold (though cause isn't yet known). No munitions on board but there was 1 million gallons of fuel. Ship is 23 years old, and is expected to be a total loss!

Phil

Hard to believe a total loss would result from a pier side fire. In that scenario, you’d typically flood the compartment or compartments affected and drown the fire. I spent career aboard ship and know the entire crew is trained in damage control. Every ship nearby will be available with a Rescue and Assistance Team. All the capabilities needed to extinguish the fire are close at hand. That the fire would progress to that level without some catastrophic explosion makes no sense.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
As to the ships name, its one that no matter the ship, classification, or number, the name will always be in active duty, as with the USS John Paul Jones in respect to our Navy's beginnings. Though not in the Navy, I once had the honor of installing machinery onboard the 2nd incarnation of the John Paul Jones back in the early 80's.

Phil

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
158 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 20 invisible), 1,989 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.