Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just returned from three weeks on Colorado, started in Colorado Springs, finished in Grand Junction, hiked 121 miles according to my tracker, did not see an single elk. Hiked high and low, drove for hours, always looking. Spent a day in Pike National Forest, covered miles on a SxS, not even a single sign (note, the forest is mostly burnt). Saw lots of Mule deer in Utah new Zion NP but did not spy a single elk anywhere, near or far. Spent last summer in MT, elk were everywhere, by the hundreds. CO is supposed to be the most populated state, go figure! Although this was a family vacation, I was hoping to get some inside info for a possible DIY hunt, I have since scrapped that idea.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Where the elk are now (summer range) is much different than where they'll be in hunting season.

I doubt the elk just vanished statewide.

If by chance they did, then you can thank a wolf.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hunted the third rifle season in Colorado in 2018. We hunted near Walden. there were nine of us, and none saw an elk in a week of hunting. Moose were around, but not elk. However, the weather wasn't bad enough to drive the elk down from the higher elevations, and it was windy with light snow most of the week. Critters don't like to move around when they can't hear, smell, or see well.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the greatest numbers of elk that I see out here are in Southern Colorado, between the Purgatoire River and the New Mexico State line.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Interesting, thanks!

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Always a lot of elk hanging out in Estes Park , right outside Rocky. I imagine a lot are hanging out in the timber to get out of the heat. If you are not out and about right at day break you won't see many. Some will be hanging out in what snow fields are left, up high to get away form the bugs.

Too many people hiking around Pike NF and they push the elk out. Some of that herd is up on the COS water shed property that you can't access.

All across Colorado though there are a lot more people recreating in the NF that push elk further back in.Trips into wilderness areas, you will meet hikers, backpackers and trail riders all the time. Can't get away from them. If not wilderness, you will be overrun with mountain bikers. Couple that with the fact that CPW way over estimates how many elk Colorado actually has and it is no wonder you didn't see elk.CPW probably has a better handle on the number of elk, but if they would put that number out,their license sales would go down and they are not about to let that happen. I think they are still publishing that 280,000 ,but I doubt if the actual numbers top 200,000 or even come close to it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hard to believe 9 hunters didn't see and elk but I shouldn't be surprised. I'm sure you saw lots of hunters though, that's the trouble with public land.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Saddlesore, I believe it, people everywhere. Never seen so many campers and ATVs in my life, must be the weather. CO Springs was a nice break, Grand Junction was a desert with heat to match.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Antlers, do you think floating the river would be a feasible option for hunting?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Bob,

If you want to see Elk in CO now, you need to have very good knee's. It's 8 am and it's already 80 degrees.

Expect to find them very high up. As SS mentioned, during the day they will be in dark timber. They will graze at night when it's cool. I'd set on high altitude water sources near dark timber and good grass as sun up and sun down. That would be your best chance.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I saw around 40 elk last weekend east of Grand Mesa...but I know where to go to find them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Antlers, do you think floating the river would be a feasible option for hunting?
No sir.

But from Stonewall east along highway 12, all the way to about halfway between Weston and Trinidad...everything south of that boundary...all the way to New Mexico, is where I’ve seen lots of elk out here.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Antelope, we hiked as high as 10,800 and I do understand that we were more in tourist areas than remote hunting land but I thought for sure I'd see one here or there, even at distance. On a side note, I say as many as 20 mule deer bucks, some very nice, on one stretch of highway near Bryce, way outside the park, in UT.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by antlers
Some of the greatest numbers of elk that I see out here are in Southern Colorado, between the Purgatoire River and the New Mexico State line.

Have you seen them there this spring and summer?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We are ass deep in tourists. The parking lot to climb the 14ers are overflowing. Had a job by the Quandry mountain trailhead. The parking lot was overfull. Then they parked up to 3 miles away along every wide spot in the road. Many elderly locals refuse to leave their house anymore because of the crowded conditions. Local hunters are suffering to the extreme. So many out of staters that the chance of drawing a license are greatly reduced. Out of 9 license tried for I drew 1. Thirty four unsuccessful attempts for moose. And those damned bicyclists. Grrrrrr, Don't get me wrong some tourist are nice and know how to drive I have been told.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by antlers
Have you seen them there this spring and summer?
I usually see em’ there in the Fall and Winter. Especially Fall. That’s typically when I spend time down there. In the Spring and Summer I’m typically spending time at higher elevations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
We are ass deep in tourists. The parking lot to climb the 14ers are overflowing. Had a job by the Quandry mountain trailhead. The parking lot was overfull. Then they parked up to 3 miles away along every wide spot in the road.
Yep. There’s a lotta people out here right now. That particular trailhead is very easy to get to, it’s right off Hwy. 9, and it’s just a few minutes outside of Breckinridge...so it’s quite popular.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I doubt the elk just vanished statewide.

If by chance they did, then you can thank a wolf.

In Colorado? Do tell.

As others have said, it's been hot here for weeks now and you're not going to see them out and about during the day unless you're way up high.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I just returned from three weeks on Colorado, started in Colorado Springs, finished in Grand Junction, hiked 121 miles according to my tracker, did not see an single elk. Hiked high and low, drove for hours, always looking. Spent a day in Pike National Forest, covered miles on a SxS, not even a single sign (note, the forest is mostly burnt). Saw lots of Mule deer in Utah new Zion NP but did not spy a single elk anywhere, near or far. Spent last summer in MT, elk were everywhere, by the hundreds. CO is supposed to be the most populated state, go figure! Although this was a family vacation, I was hoping to get some inside info for a possible DIY hunt, I have since scrapped that idea.

I'd draw absolutely zero conclusions based on your observations on the state's elk herd...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

At this time of year, a lot of elk will be found above timberline. They will congregate in large herds at seasonal marshes created by melting snow. Lots of grass and small broad leaf forbes are abundant for a month or so, in those marshes. The elk will stay until they have grazed off the grass. Then they will drop down into the subalpine zone. A good pair of binoculars makes it easier to spot them.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 21 invisible), 1,840 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,269
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.