Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've deer hunted for around 30 years now. It's all been private land hunting in Missouri and a few years of lease hunting here in Texas. This year I'm looking to take my bow out to public land and get deep back in the woods to see what I can see.

I've used portable ground blinds and tree stands on private land where they stayed set up the entire deer season, but not sure about packing in a blind/stand every weekend along with bow and other gear. What are the suggestions for a light setup hide to carry into the woods? Roll up turkey blind?

Thanks in advance

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve bow hunted on public land for over 20 years and have settled on using a climbing tree stand and in some cases a gobbler lounger since I went to using a crossbow. The climber is a pain but it gives you some options of moving locations easily. I tried the ground blind one time. I went in early evening and set it up and brushed it in and sat in it for 10 minutes and some dove hunters moved in on me and had to leave.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I nearly exclusively hunt public land.

I almost never leave a stand in the woods unless I KNOW I'm going back the next morning which is rare.

I use a lone wolf alpha hang on with sticks.

Once in a while a summit viper climber.

Adding a saddle to the mix this season I think.

Lots of ways to improve a good hang on. Mine is modified a good bit and although heavy , it carries pretty well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've hunted a bunch of public lands in Texas. All of the WMAs I've been on have blinds available for you to use but you can bring your own pop-up too.

Getting a permit is the toughest problem.

Last edited by Whiptail; 07/08/20.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hide from what--- animals, or other hunters??

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I buy treestands on sale and leave them up when permitted by law. None stolen since 2012, but if it happens, it's just part of the cost of doing business. I do use locking cables. My stands are about 3/4 mile in. Doubt many are willing to tote boltcutters in and then haul the stands back out.

Over the last ten years or so, about half my deer have been taken from the ground, generally sitting on a stool or strap-on tree seat. Terrain can provide the elevation needed to see better in many cases; seats help me sit longer. Never felt I needed a blind for deer with camo clothing, or blaze orange for that matter.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
We aren’t allowed to leave treestands in the woods for over 24 hours, without permission of the area manager. So l won’t leave one except if it’s an evening hunt and I’m 100% positive I’m coming right back the next morning, and I’ve just about quit doing that. When I gun hunt, I usually hunt from the ground. Archery, a climbing tree stand.

My advice would be to figure out when the area is hunted the least, and hunt then. Look for places that others avoid or are too lazy to hike to, and give them a try. And those places aren’t necessarily the longest walk from the truck either.

Do whatever it takes to keep those places secret. Be careful posting pictures from the area, and be careful of taking “friends” into any honeyholes you find unless you have a good agreement beforehand to keep it to yourselves. It took a few hard lessons for me to figure that out.

If you are blessed to have a long season, I’d avoid hunting busy opening weekends. Also, most people give up on late season hunting. Usually, the surviving deer move about more freely with the lighter pressure of late season.

Did I mention to keep it quiet when you find a good place????

Good luck to you.

Last edited by paint; 07/09/20.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
And another thing, public hunting gets a bad rap sometimes, but in our area, it’s usually pretty good. Most hunters that I run across don’t want to mess up my hunt any more than I want to mess up theirs. I try to stay well away from where others park to keep that from happening. If I walk up on somebody who’s already there, I turn around and immediately leave.

In a lot of ways, I’ve had far fewer head aches hunting public than private.

Last edited by paint; 07/09/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few of my favorite spots are tiny bits of public that nobody wants to mess with. A really good I stumbled up on is 28 acres that’s between some prime private. Two small creeks run across it.
Another one is a much bigger piece of low lying ground that is avoided. Have to wear hip boots and it’s a grind to get to the good stuff. Put the climber and hip boots in a jet sled and go.

Archery hunting I take my climber if at all possible. One morning I tagged a dandy 8pt at 10a from my climber. Got him taken care of and at 2:30p went to check another area where I’d seen scrapes before. I slowly crested a hill and saw another good 8pt working his way to me. He also saw me but he wasn’t sure what I was. I found a little shooting lane and hunkered down. I put an arrow thru him 10 minutes later, needling beside a cedar tree.

Gun hunts I usually hunt from the ground or use a lock-on and a couple climbing sticks.
When the leaves are wet I’ll still hunt and take it slow.

It’s always fun to hike way back in.
It’s always fun to bag some meat in that sweet spot right off the highway also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tree sadle

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Appreciate all the feedback. Looks like the general consensus is I need to get up in the air. So I’m going to shop around and try to find a couple of used options for a tree stand and a climber. Don’t want to drop a bunch of money into stands that may be taken. Will invest in cable locks and the plan is to go back where few venture. Thanks again.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I hardly ever take one down. I can't remember when I've had one damaged. The only time I take one down is when the area I'm hunting requires it. In MN we used to be able to actually BUILD stands on public land. But...they were fair game to the public if you didn't get there first.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use treestands to see better, and have no illusions about deer not being able to see or smell me at the chicken-hearted heights I put them. They also, I think, put me a bit above the line of fire from other hunters, many of whom seem to fail to notice you even with 400 square inches of orange hanging all over. The added height also directs your fire into the dirt, on closer shots anyway. Hang-ons are more flexible than ladders. Don't skimp on either the stand or the climber steps. Good ones last and used or cheap ones may not be comfortable or safe.

If you don't already have them, invest in a good vest-type harness, lineman's belt, and safety rope with a sliding tether. I've never fallen, but a good setup will save you from serious harm. The lineman's belt makes hanging a stand much easier and safer.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/11/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Doesn't really answer your question, but I hunt public land exclusively. I do not use a blind or stand, I still-hunt big timber with maybe a bit of spot and stalk thrown in. Make good use of available cover and concealment, manage motion so you're not so visible (deer seem to see motion much more than shape), and hunt into the wind.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pop up blind, tree stand, a folding chair. These in no particular order.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the ground, don't move tucking yourself under a ceder tree or against cover in a comfortable chair. I've had deer walk real close using a roll up turkey blind, but they busted me when I moved. Spruce or pine trees sitting on a cushion on a limb works well here in the Midwest and you can get by with more movement. I've never hunted in Texas and I'd bet that is a whole other ballgame. Wear as much camo that is legal to help break up your silhouette. I've been know to carry 50' of camo rope and weave it around a couple of smaller parallel tree limbs to form a seat.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you're hunting public land in Texas, I'm guessing you're talking the National Forests in East Texas. Go in at least a mile and you'll be fine. Don't hang a stand in a highly traveled place. I accidentally left a climber out for a year (end of the season and I had a family emergency and had to leave the woods in a hurry) and it was still there a year later. That was two miles in, though.

The fact is, you don't need to be in a tree. Hanging one in the right position on public land (even just on the right side of the right tree) requires a huge amount of scouting and missed opportunities along the way. If you're hunting from on the ground and in the wrong spot, you move. You are not doing that with a tree stand without blowing out your hunt area for the day. Also it's a noisy heavy piece of gear to tote around.

When I first started archery hunting whitetails and pigs on public land, I found I lost about half my hunting time repositioning and moving my stand, especially when I was learning a new area of land. So I stopped using a stand.

Those $20 Tent peg type turkey blinds work great. I usually have one with me but at this point I kill most stuff still hunting because I've switched over to a crossbow for archery season (I still shoot mostly trad when I'm just shooting). In fact, if you want to spend money on gear that will really help you kill deer during archery season, forget the tree stand and buy a crossbow. Otherwise you'll do fine with the $20 turkey blind.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you mean hiding from game animals, I sit at the base of trees, when I sit and glass, below any skyline. Might be different in Texas. I have found some tree stands on public land, above elk wallows and such. I actually don't know if it is legal to leave it there where I hunt.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Public land?

Gun season?

Treestand and plenty of orange.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Doesn't really answer your question, but I hunt public land exclusively. I do not use a blind or stand, I still-hunt big timber with maybe a bit of spot and stalk thrown in. Make good use of available cover and concealment, manage motion so you're not so visible (deer seem to see motion much more than shape), and hunt into the wind.

+1

Why carry all that stuff and waste time finding the perfect tree?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 67 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.