Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My stomping grounds are a stretch to the SW of there Dan. Broken Bow is a car piece down there, was there earlier this month, it’s still a wild and wooly place.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good stuff Dan, back in 94 when you took the picture of the hog, pumps were all that were used in our circle in NE Ohio. City All pump manufacturers were represented. City fella's with automatics were suspect. You posted a picture of your grandfather a while back and i believe you said he was a LC Smith guy. What is your opinion of double guns? I have shot 3 pigs with a rifle but never a shotgun, what might you be using in that 37? Slugs, Buck?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
doesn't really matter which gun..it boils down to the nut behind the bolt.
heres a nut behind his bolt. a model 12 bolt that is...

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Ithaca spews #3 buck and #8 shot with aplomb. Pigs and quail make good table fare.

I like SxS doubles have 1 each in 20/16/12 and an O/U 12 for clays. Had a fine little .410 for a spell but the fit wasn't good so it went down the road.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I already had a 1928 M12 30" full choke that I had converted from a field gun to a trap gun by adding a vent rib and a trap stock set. It was my Dad's and I used it to take my first bird on the wing. When I could no longer shoot lead at ducks and geese, I figured converting it to a trap gun and using it was better than having it sit in my gun cabinet. Just a couple weeks ago I was offered another M12 converted trap shotgun. This one is a 1954 and while I didn't need it, I bought it anyway and already shot a few rounds of trap with it. It was in good condition with a nicely figured stock on it. Though I have a Krieghoff KX5 for singles trap, I still love to shoot these M12s and I don't care about collector value, resale, or any of that. I will use them until I no longer can't and I don't care if my wife or son only gets $200 for them when I'm gone. They are worth so much more than that to me.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
i have a mod 12 in 12ga and a 37 in 20ga wouldn't sell either one! looking for browning auto 5 might want in 16ga

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several 16 ga, 2 M12, one deluxe with a poly choke that I can shoot like it is an extension of my arm, and the other is a solid rib full choke from the mid 30’s. I also have a M37, but have yet to hunt with it. I have 2 A5 standards, one of each of the safety configurations. A Rem M31 that doesn’t get near enough play and a M11. I love the gauge and hated when the Herter line of shells went away when Bass Pro took over Cabela’s. I would watch the sale and pick up several flats shipped to my door for sub $6 a box.

While I appreciate all of the designs, I reach for the A5 first and then the M12.

CK
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Though I am mostly a double man, there are two early Ithaca Model 37 in 16 gauge in my safe. Never owned a Winchester M12 but have examined a few at shows and in gun shops but never found the right one to come home with me.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have had a number of 12s and 37s... and they were okay, but the sleeper to me is the Remington 31. 12, 16, and 20 I think they are the best old pumps made.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Model 12 in 16 is my favorite shotgun. I have a couple, it still doesn't point as well for me as my early 870 Wingmaster corncobs. Still need one of those in a 16.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bobski
doesn't really matter which gun..it boils down to the nut behind the bolt.
heres a nut behind his bolt. a model 12 bolt that is...

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Good looking shotgun Bob, but you got it on the wrong shoulder. wink I've got Model 12's in 20, 16. and 12 gauge. I prefer the 26" modified 16 gauge of the three. Also have a 37 in 16 gauge, good gun also. That being said, I really enjoy doing a little dove hunting with the model 42 I bought from Nathanial a few years ago. Wish it wasn't choked so tight, like most old .410's , it's full.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
that's funny..........lol!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bobski
that's funny..........lol!

Bob, I've got a buddy who is left handed. He does everything left handed, so at a young age when we were both kids he naturally shot a long gun left handed. He really struggled with a shotgun as far back as I can remember, so I laid back and was watching him shoot one day. He had a just ungainly mount on the shotgun, and I realized he was trying to line up his right eye over the stock of the shotgun when it was mounted left handed. Neither one of us really noticed this before, it was how he shot since a kid. I showed him how to check for eye dominance,and it turned out he was right eye dominant. Took biggest part of the fall that year, but I convinced him to try and shot right handed. After several fall hunts and a little time with clay bird thrower, it became second nature to him and he became a much better shot than he ever thought he could be. This was the only case I ever was aware of a left handed person being right eye dominant. Don't know if it is rare or not. Just a little good humor ribbing about being left handed earlier.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
im a dominant left eye.
yet....I shoot pistol right handed. all I do is turn my head a little and patch my right eye. works great. heck it got me distinguished pistol.
but shotgun.....its left all the time.
either eye...when it time to see the dinner on the table, both work perfectly!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
184 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.