Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I won this spotting scope in the last drawing from Doug. I had been needing a spotting scope for some time now but had just been using my buddies or cousins when we were shooting together. I have also been a novice/amateur astronomer since I was about 20 years old and I am 57 now. I don't have great ( Alpha ) glass in anything although I do have some fairly expensive eye pieces for my telescopes. That is where the money is spent though. So, this Athlon spotting scope seems to be well built and I really like the dual focus adjustment. That works great. I have only at this time used it for about 100 yard viewing and on 20X-40X the image quality is fantastic. Even at the 40X setting I have crystal clear views of birds, hickory nuts, and various other things that one would expect to see in an open field/woodland environment. The edge clarity seem excellent and I had my wife, daughter, and another individual verify this. The MSRP for scope is about $1800 but most are selling it for $1499 and Doug had it on sale for I think $999.00 ( mine was free! ). I guess it is made in China but so is my computer, sun glasses, and many other things. I am impressed with this device. It is supposed to be clear tonight so we will be doing some astronomy viewing with the spotting scope as well as some other devices. I'll be interested to see how it performs. I am also looking forward to getting to our NC mountains in a week or two so I can look at some long distance objects and wildlife. I can't say how it compares to other spotting scopes in this price range but I can say I can't see ever needing anything better.

Last edited by CWT; 07/11/20.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the write up.

Every season i say I’d like a spotter.

I’m a fan of meopta. Have binos and scopes.

Just can’t justify the $2k for meopta spotter.

Athlon May be the answer.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We didn't get out Saturday night to see how the spotting scope would work on the night sky, but we did look at various birds late in the evening. This is a very clear spotting scope.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a comet in the sky this month. Looking East

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My Go-To Maksutov-Cassegrain is better for that.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

318 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 2,189 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,144
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.