Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler, and so far the results have been great. I did notice a couple of pieces of 7mm-08 brass where a pin was stuck in the case neck. Obviously, a length of the pin vs diameter of the case concern and something to keep an eye out for when you inspect your brass. No such issues with 308 brass with the pins falling out and I have yet to try the 270s.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Paper towel, rubbing alcohol. Life's too short to shine your ammo. It's just gonna get dirty again.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by sisko
I use the Frankford Arsenal tumbler with the 5 lbs of stainless pins that come with it. I use 1 tablespoon of Armor All Ultra Shine Wash & Wax and 1/4 teaspoon of powder Lemi-Shine. The picture below is some .223 brass I tumbled for 1-1/2 hours on Monday. The second picture is from a couple years ago when I was learning and it was tumbled with 1 tablespoon of Dawn and 1 tablespoon of Lemi-Shine. I recommend treading lightly with the Lemi-Shine. I made some "pink'ish" 280 brass a few years back with too much Lemi-Shine.

As a side note I did re-tumble the brass in the second picture last week and they cleaned up awesome.

I am going to tumble without pins next time per gunwizards experience. The pins are a PITA!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That brass looks great. I like my brass clean as well. I get it that way tumbling in media mixed with Lyma tuff nut that has rouge in it.. Brass comes out very polished, like yours in your picture. I have no complaints.. I don't think I could do pins though, as I've received brass from guys that has been tumbled with pins and the brass still has stainless pins in it.. I can't imaging the damage that would do, if you sent one through your barrel.. Probably fu ck up a good shooting rifle that way..

When I use the media with the rouge in it, it seems it really likes to collect in the primer pockets and I have to clean each one out with a nail or something. Makes things a real pain in the butt, but the brass is shiny.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JMUPT
I like to use warm water a squirt of dawn and like javman said half a teaspoon of lemishing and I let it run for about 4hrs. Brass always comes out clean and looks like new.

This exactly. Love me some purty brass!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oakster
I use the Frankford Arsenal tumbler with the 5 lbs of stainless pins that come with it. I use 1 tablespoon of Armor All Ultra Shine Wash & Wax and 1/4 teaspoon of powder Lemi-Shine. The picture below is some .223 brass I tumbled for 1-1/2 hours on Monday. The second picture is from a couple years ago when I was learning and it was tumbled with 1 tablespoon of Dawn and 1 tablespoon of Lemi-Shine. I recommend treading lightly with the Lemi-Shine. I made some "pink'ish" 280 brass a few years back with too much Lemi-Shine.

As a side note I did re-tumble the brass in the second picture last week and they cleaned up awesome.

I am going to tumble without pins next time per gunwizards experience. The pins are a PITA!

That brass looks great. I like my brass clean as well. I get it that way tumbling in media mixed with Lyma tuff nut that has rouge in it.. Brass comes out very polished, like yours in your picture. I have no complaints.. I don't think I could do pins though, as I've received brass from guys that has been tumbled with pins and the brass still has stainless pins in it.. I can't imaging the damage that would do, if you sent one through your barrel.. Probably fu ck up a good shooting rifle that way..

When I use the media with the rouge in it, it seems it really likes to collect in the primer pockets and I have to clean each one out with a nail or something. Makes things a real pain in the butt, but the brass is shiny.

Oakster, I use a long torch tip cleaner to poke the tiny pieces of media out of the flash hole. The nice thing about the tip cleaner is it will also clean up (smooth out) the flash hole as well. I've noticed some flash holes are rough and need to be cleaned out anyway. The more uniform everything is (even the flash holes), the more consistently accurate your ammo is going to be. I don't mind poking out the media, as it gives me a chance to inspect all areas of the brass. I figure I inspect each piece of brass at least 3 times before it makes it to final stages of loading (bullet seated on top)...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I believe it's counterproductive to use too much Lemishine. A short 1/4 teaspoon seems to work well.

The pins stuck in flash holes are a PITA, but they are just a few. I usually pull them with needle nosed pliers, or toss the case if I feel lazy.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
After I size the brass, I put it in a shell holder and insert the chuck in an electric drill. I think I got it from Lee. Get it spinning in one hand and steel wool in the other hand. Up and down the length of the brass a couple of times and you're good to go. I wear a rubber glove on the steel wool hand to keep the small debris off. Doesn't take long once you get into rhythm.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oakster

Oakster, I use a long torch tip cleaner to poke the tiny pieces of media out of the flash hole. The nice thing about the tip cleaner is it will also clean up (smooth out) the flash hole as well. I've noticed some flash holes are rough and need to be cleaned out anyway. The more uniform everything is (even the flash holes), the more consistently accurate your ammo is going to be. I don't mind poking out the media, as it gives me a chance to inspect all areas of the brass. I figure I inspect each piece of brass at least 3 times before it makes it to final stages of loading (bullet seated on top)...

I use one of these pretty handy when deburring flashholes
https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Flash-Hole-Uniformer/dp/B089377MTV

Last edited by 79S; 07/18/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One gallon juice jug
Fill half full of de-primed brass
Fill full of very hot tap water
One good squirt of Dawn
One 45 ACP case full of Lemishine
Tumble on 1 MPH for a couple hours
Pour out the water and dump the brass into a media seperator
Spin back and forth to get most of the water off and out
Dump into a vibro bowl with corncob media and run an hour to dry and finish

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Using hot water, a touch of lemishine, and some dawn dish soap I tumble in SS pins for 1-2 hours; dry; tumble in corn cob media with a small squirt of liquid turtle wax for 2-3 hours. How long I let it run depends on how full the drum is, along with spot checking occasionally--or how ever long a few episodes of something is . . .

I use the Harbor Freight dual drum rotary tumbler if that matters to you.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,804 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.