Print Thread
Hop To
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Been thinking about buying a 9422 xtr in 22mag and another in 22LR. Any good years? All good? How do you like the 9422 compared to the 39A and Henry ?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have and do have several. Great guns built at a time when Winchester was going downhill fast. Copied the internal works of their model 61 which is a legend. One of the few controlled round feed 22 rimfire rifles. I personally liked the early non checkered models (don't have much use for checkering myself). Winchester had been lambasted about the poor quality of their guns for years so the powers that be got together and designed the 9422. It is made of machined steel and walnut and few if any MIM, cast, or stamped parts. Winchester was hesitant to produce it as it was cost prohibitive, but they wanted to restore their reputation and the 9422 was their starting point. After several years they could no longer afford to build this beauty so production stopped. When compared to the pre safety Marlin 39's they are both excellent but the Winchester is control feed while the Marlin is not. As for comparing it to a cast and stamped Henry there is no comparison. Don't get me wrong the Henry is an above average 22 rifle compared to many of their modern counterpart.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Have a Coon and Hound 9422 and love it. Had a 9422M and foolishly sold it. I don't know how you can get through life without a good quality lever action .22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the plain Jane uncheckered 9422M and it outshoots my Marlin 882 by a good margin. Mine prefers the lighter, faster bullets over the 40 gr or heavier ones. It likes the Winchester Supreme. Each rimfire, in my experience, is picky as to what it likes. Same make and model of gun but will prefer different ammo.

That said, mine has made many headshots on jackrabbits.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a minty 9422 XTR 22 Mag that I recently sold. It was a very, very, nice little rifle. Smooth action and very accurate.

I just don't have a lot of opportunity to use a 22 Mag anymore so it went down the road as it was just collecting dust in the safe.

I made a very nice profit on that one. I can see them becoming more and more desirable to collectors as the years go by in the future. Kind of the last of it's kind..

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have an early Magnum if might let go for the right price. PM your phone if you want some pics.

Ray

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Been thinking about buying a 9422 xtr in 22mag and another in 22LR. Any good years? All good? How do you like the 9422 compared to the 39A and Henry ?

I had a .22 magnum. Very slick action, quite decent accuracy (inch and a quarter at 100 yards with the CCI Maxi Mag +V which was a jackrabbit and ground squirrel killin' sumbitch). There were 2 negatives. First, it had a grooved receiver, and though I tried all manner of various mounts for grooves I never could find one that centered the scope over the bore, all were off to once side or the other be they metric or "english." Second, for such a nice rifle, the trigger pull was [bleep]. Mushy and heavy.

Overall, I regret selling it. The positives outweigh the negatives.

I would say the same for the stainless boat paddle Ruger 77/22 magnum I had. I don't recall now whether I traded the Ruger to get the Winchester or vice versa, both are long gone. frown

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Have an early Magnum if might let go for the right price. PM your phone if you want some pics.

Ray

Check your PM

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I have had 39's for about 50 years.. Still have 3, but also a 94 in 22LR and 22 Mag,, I love them.. Head and shoulders above the Marlins and I love them.. Mine are both checkered.. I passed on a 22LR with a 24 in barrel and half mag. years ago.. Still kicking myself..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My folks gave me a 22 LR M-9422 for HS Graduation in June 1973. It has a plain finished walnut stock (nice piece of walnut) and has worked flawlessly for the last 47 years. I don't see it wearing out anytime soon.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have one of the last production 22M’s. Ain’t for sale.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
When I was 12 my local hoc shop had one in for $475. I put it on payment plan and was down to my last couple installments when Dad snuck in, paid it off and surprised me with it for Christmas with a brick of shells. I’m 33 now and I still look back on that as perhaps my favorite Christmas memory. The rifle is still in my safe and that won’t change.

Unfortunately build quality on mine is not good as good as some of the others although it is nice. We used a Williams dovetail receiver sight and custom front Patridge to finally get it on paper. The aperture looks a good 1/8” off center.

They are fun!

To answer your question, when a new Henry cost the same money, it was an easy decision! While I wouldn’t hesitate to own a Henry, the Winchester is a nicer rifle.

Last edited by aggiecubpilot; 07/16/20.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet, I have a first year production 22 LR with silver mag tube and smooth walnut stocks, the deep rich bluing is beautiful, the rifle is pristine, you can lean off a back porch post and pick off rocks on a pond bank 96 yards away, and cowpiles from 25 on past 100. cool great little rifles.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I collected these for years. At one time I had over 60 of them. I currently still have over 30 of them mostly new in the box. My favorites are the early non-checkered guns. I collect the 1972 guns and have several in magnum and 22 Long rifle new in the box. Fantastic machined guns. I sell some once in a while on guns international.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.