Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C

I am looking for a 2 person tent with preferably 2 entrances and 2 vestibules for when I use it with 2 men which will be rare, but will use it by myself 99% of the time, one entrance is not a deal breaker though.

I like light weight, good ventilation, 4 season tent. I need a large vestibule for gear storage.

I understand that Hilleberg make the Mercedes Benz of Tents. I am looking at the Hillebarg Nallo 2 GT in Sand color, but there are other models that might work.

https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/2-person-tents/

The Nallo 2 GT seems to be price fixed at $910, without the foot print add $80 for that. Anyone know of a Hilleberg dealer where I may get a better price ? Anyone know if Hilleberg offers a Pro program ?

I am also open to looking at other brands. I am looking at the Marmot Tungsten 2P or 3P, but I can tell from Marmot's web site if that is a 4 season tent or not. The Tungsten does have 2 vestibules and 2 entrances so that is a plus.

I intend to use the tent for Wildland Fire fighting in Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming etc. from September to early November and or for hunting Sheep and the like in Alaska. I expect to be at altitude, with high winds at times and expect to see snow at that point in the year. I will be living in the tent for weeks at a time, so I need room and to be comfortable.

Thank You for your input. I know Alaska guys know tents.

N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty demanding situations and I think you get into a serious loop. Tents built light and tough like Hilleberg use high quality light fabric and have to compromise on long term durability. I have several of their smaller tents and I would not expect them to last for extreme long term use. The 4 season requirement is tough to do light.

The Arctic Oven is tough, roomy, extremely durable, and pricey, but no lightweight. Same for Barney's Bomb Shelter. I have spent many months in both... My Bomb Shelter is 31 years old... But you could could put my small Hillebergs in with the fly and hardly notice them.

Barney's gives guide discounts...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A practical forester I know, who is a serious hunter uses 2 tents. The 'inner' tent is a packable dome and when the weather demands it he has a modified larger dome that goes over the whole shebang with significant air gap between. He claims tee shirt comfort level with a Buddy heater down into the teens. Like all plastic tents and propane heat and cooking, he says moisture buildup is a constant battle between adequate ventilation and warmth.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the Hilleberg lineup, I've found the Tarra to be as tough and wind qualified as it gets.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The USMC combat tent made by eureka fits your needs. Was out on the Tigris building a bridge with the USMC bridge builders. Insurgents had destroyed one of the main supply route bridges. USMC were placing the modulars, we were doing the concrete work. The tank support providing security, slept in the tank. Us Army engineers slept under our fking ponchos. USMC set up their tents.

Three pole design, bathtub floor, vestibules front and rear.
All interior mesh can be zipped up. All three poles are the same size, so makes set up lightening fast.

You could buy six of these used, for the price of that hillberg.

I use Eurekas larger Assualt outfitter 4 based off this same tent. Modified to take a titanium woodstove I've slept in 40-50 below weather. In spring/summer/fall: thousands of miles of river.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm a big fan of the Bomb Shelter myself. Mine was an 8X8, don't believe they had the 10X10 early on. Like to get one of those. Left my 8X8 with my son. Got to have very close to 40 years on it by now.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Caribou and Sitka,

I believe Barney's had those bomb shelters sewed up by Eureka?

Anyhow, I have owned a newer version of that as well. It was a newer limited-run made for cabelas, also sewed up by Eureka.

The tent had at least 6 guy-out points per side. About a half decade ago, I set this tent up near the base of Mchue peak to be my base camp for training my Pyrenees/Malamute litter to be pack animals in the mountains. I would hike up Mchue peak with 4-5 loose dogs everyday. The m1 bomb shelter made a good base camp.

When some of those 60-80 mph gusts hit the thing, it held up well. BUT, tall flat sided walls against the sustained winds were eventually defeated. The guy-out points were ripped off the vestibule.

I dropped back down to my Assualt outfitter 4.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07/12/20.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Eureka is my understanding as well. Maybe someone was cutting corners at some point. Those tents have handled winds very well over the years.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in '92, I spent a year camping in AK. I had several tents and tarps, which ranged from an old canvas Sourdough tent to a North Face VE25. When the weather dictated it, I'd pull out the VE25, which was a great tent and never failed me. I used it extensively until it disappeared - literally.

I had set up the NF somewhere in the Portage Glacier/Valley area and staked it down in a remote location, leaving it empty - everything was locked in the truck. I then went off to hike. When I returned, the tent was gone. I was far from any other people. I don't think someone stole it because, my truck was unmolested and there was no evidence of anyone being there. It was not windy and the tent was staked down - it would have to be a mighty gust indeed to dislodge it. I underwent a perimeter search out to about 3-4 km - nothing. My theory is that a bear stole it... or maybe Bullwinkle happened by, took a shine to it, hooked it, and took it with him. Who the heck knows?

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/12/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I think Barney's has had a couple different companies make the bomb shelter. They are great tents. I spent a very stressful night in a 30+ year old 8X8 convinced that the next gust would rip the tent body off the stakes, but it held up great. Bungees on your guy-out points help a lot with that, btw.

The Arctic Oven is kind of amazing, and if you were going to be living in a tent for long periods of time, that would certainly be (is) my choice. Neither the bomb shelter nor the AO compare in any way to a Nallo 2. I have an AO 10, and Tent and Tarp lists it at 56lbs, which includes no footprint or floor saver (or woodstove) and probably not enough stakes to stake down all the guy-out points. You're looking at 70+lbs of tent by the time you are done. But there is room for 2 cots and a wood stove. AT&T has a new line of tents out that I have no experience with. Their website is a hot mess, but you might be able to glean something there. https://arcticoventent.com/tents/shockey-tent/ It has Jim Shockey's name on it, so try to keep your lunch down and just think about the tent. If you are ever in Anchorage, they have some tents set up in their new place by Merrill field. They are under the same ownership as Airframes Alaska, so you can buy super cub parts and AO tents until you hit your credit card limit!

Mainer, I have an Assault Outfitter 2, that I love. It isn't configured perfectly for 2 people, but its comfortable enough. It is an incredibly bomber tent, and a was a bargain when I bought it. I wish they wouldn't put the stupid plastic windows in it, but they have held up pretty well. I bought that tent after spending the night in a cheap tent while it rained 3" overnight. I should look at the 4 person one, because I surely don't have enough tents.

I've spent some time in a Nallo 2, Nallo 2 GT, and Nallo 3 GT. Hilleberg makes a great tent, and they are an impressive combination of tough and light. But like Art said, I'm not sure how it would hold up to constant use for months. The GT vestibule is just as awesome as having a garage attached to your house. The downside is that it traps a lot of moisture and that can be a problem in some cases. Worthwhile trade off IMO, but not everyone agrees.

One option that I haven't seen mentioned here is the Cabelas "alaska guide" dome tents. They are a solid design, very wind/weather resistant, without getting into the insane price range of some of the above. Setup is not as fast nor as straightforward as with the Bomb Shelter, Arctic Oven, or Assault Outfitter, but if you are staying in one spot for a week+, that isn't a big deal. Plan to throw away and replace the stakes they come with and replace with just about anything else.

THESE are my favorite stakes for a base camp tent. There are 9 and 12" variations - get the orange ones if you can, and a mix of lengths is ideal for varying sites. Sometimes you can scoop a bunch on ebay pretty cheap and split them amongst parties.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I guess it might be obvious, but I think you are looking for 2 tents, minimum... smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cwh2,
If you would like an assault outfitter 2 person without that darn window, you can go made in America version. Better than the made in China/ cheap labor tents that is more than 75% of tents sold today:

https://www.diamondbrandgear.com/combat-tent/

Yah cwh2, some tents have so many poles, they'll drive you bat-sht crazy to have to set up when you're dog tired. That's why I like the USMC design.

In winter, im so fatigued end of the day, I go eskimo pop-up ice shack, the octagonal one with no flat sides. Sometimes, I just lay on the trail with no tent because I don't want to deal with set-up if on the move.

Feb 28th this year on winter caribou hunt, bedded down on thermarest in front of dog team. About 30 below zero in a cheap 0 degree browning bag. Woke up first light, miserable, with an unshakable shiver. Popped out that ice shack to cook breakfast over wood stove. Quickest shelter I've ever owned. Don't discount those Eskimo quickfish deals, they are the bomb!

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07/13/20.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
They have just the fly for $50. Might have go pick one of those up - thanks for the link.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Cwh2,
If you would like an assault outfitter 2 person without that darn window, you can go made in America version. Better than the made in China/ cheap labor tents that is more than 75% of tents sold today:

https://www.diamondbrandgear.com/combat-tent/

Pretty good looking tent.. at a great price

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Originally, they absolutely were Eureka. They also made the 3.0 version of the moose freighter pack. The originals were sewn inhouse by Barney's original partner Ralph. Ralph died of cancer, very early '90s, and there were a couple changes . Last I checked Eureka was building them again.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
The USMC combat tent made by eureka fits your needs. Was out on the Tigris building a bridge with the USMC bridge builders. Insurgents had destroyed one of the main supply route bridges. USMC were placing the modulars, we were doing the concrete work. The tank support providing security, slept in the tank. Us Army engineers slept under our fking ponchos. USMC set up their tents.

Three pole design, bathtub floor, vestibules front and rear.
All interior mesh can be zipped up. All three poles are the same size, so makes set up lightening fast.

You could buy six of these used, for the price of that hillberg.

I use Eurekas larger Assualt outfitter 4 based off this same tent. Modified to take a titanium woodstove I've slept in 40-50 below weather. In spring/summer/fall: thousands of miles of river.

Must be the New Corps! USMC was still using the shelter half when I was active. grin

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Akpls,

Its a magical time period: military equipment is getting better, while the quality of recruits is going down the toilet.

79s, can I get ah oh hell yah?

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cold Zero:

"Lightweight" and "4-season" are not very compatible.

A couple of Hilleberg tents are real good but as mentioned, very pricey.

What I use is a Kuiu Storm Star 2 person tent, which costs $600 and weighs about 5 1/2#. It's a rare tent that is actually a 4-season tent but has only three poles. I've used mine in some pretty good blows. Kuiu Storm Star 2P

I have learned to be skeptical of off-brand manufacturers that claim their tents are "4-season" just because they have a full-coverage rain fly, but actuall only have 2 poles.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The USMC Combat tent weighs 13#. It better be strong.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kc, same here: 2 pole is a gamble in heavy winds.

That diamond brand version of the USMC tent is 8.7 lbs with guy-out lines and stakes, I weighed mine.

About a 5ft x7ft floor (not including vestibule)

Can set up just the fly as well, leaving the tent body if shaving weight.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
228 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 33 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.