Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I had pay pal backin the day. A couple of friends of mine were 'caught' buying gun parts with pay pal and Pay Pal locked their accounts, making it unable to access their money. It was also very difficult to get pay pal off their accounts. When I got married about 10 years ago and we started new accounts, I decided to never let pay pal on to my bank account. I dont need that kind of hassle in my day to day life.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I’ve never cashed a USPS MO at a post office. I just take them to my bank and have never had a problem.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I have never had a problem cashing a USPS money order at a bank either and if it is for a small amount like $1-200, they have usually been able to cash them at the Post Office. I like them because they have an online website to check on the validity of the check number, the check itself has many anti-fraud features and I am told that the Postal Inspectors can be aggressive at investigating and prosecuting inter-state postal fraud.

In the end, the determining factor is how much money is involved and how much do you trust the buyer. If you look at money orders and bank checks, they look very simple and easy to forge plus check with your bank and ask them when you know that the check has actually cleared. It is hard to get a straight answer and I have come to the conclusion that it could be over 6 months before there little chance of the check bouncing and if it does bounce, your bank will immediately debit your account for that amount. PayPal certainly has it's advantages but if it is for gun related purchases and a large amount, you still have risks. I understand why people opt for face to face.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I only take uspsmo if I’m selling. Bought and sold lots of stuff using them, and never had an issue. Got one in mail yesterday. Had to drive by the bank. They cashed it in 30 seconds.

NRA Patron
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I will take a personal check if the buyer is willing to wait for it to clear, which doesn't take near as long as it used to. All the banks I've dealt with will tell you if a check has cleared. just give them the acct. no., check no., and amount.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just went through this a few days ago with USPS MO... took it to the post office and , as usual, they said they didn't have enough cash on hand to cash it. But I was able to deposit it in my bank account with no hassles, so I guess it wasn't a total loss... I've used paypal many times for gun related purchases and I think I've used it for a couple gun buys, but I don't specify what I am buying and don't even remember ever having to specify on the paypal page what I am buying, so I don't understand the issue with being turned down my them? Also, paypal tried for years to get me to give them my bank account information and I told them no way... haven't had any repercussions because of it and still use paypal when it is convenient ....

I also offer to send a check and wait for it to clear just to make it easy for everyone involved.... but whatever works best is usually what I do....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Oakster
I had pay pal backin the day. A couple of friends of mine were 'caught' buying gun parts with pay pal and Pay Pal locked their accounts, making it unable to access their money. It was also very difficult to get pay pal off their accounts. When I got married about 10 years ago and we started new accounts, I decided to never let pay pal on to my bank account. I dont need that kind of hassle in my day to day life.

I have a separate bank account used exclusively for paypal.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Another option that works instantly I've used is a Walmart money transfer. Buyer goes to any walmart and gives them cash with your name/address (make sure it matches your ID).

They give him a PIN which he gives to you.

You go to any walmart, present matching ID and PIN and you get the money.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/online-money-transfers/1089406

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cash or a personal check and waiting to clear is the only positive way to get your money. There are counterfeit USPS MO out there....I have mine verified at my local rural PO before I deposit. I will take cash, personal check or USPS MO only on firearms.

RAVENS & WOLVES
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Check is the easiest.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Aside from the 'how to pay' question, there's another serious question entailed in all of this; how does one rationally deploy trust and assess risk in these transactions on the fire. No amount of scrutiny (of the question) will yield a scenario where both parties can operate in a zero trust environment. I suppose an escrow could qualify, but still, both the seller and the buyer end up extending some form of trust to the escrow holder. If you hold a personal check until it finally clears, sure, you as the seller might be extending zero trust, and therefore entail zero risk, but the buyer is extending maximum trust, and maximum risk. So you see, no one on the fire can transact in a zero trust environment.

As a person that sells here on the fire, I've found it beneficial to extend trust to my buyers. This exposes me to potential fraud, but I know my degree of risk, and, I know the benefits of a properly executed transaction that had trust built in as a material part of the transaction. I 'earn' a positive reputation, and so do my buyers.

Now, for the large dollar amount transactions, such as firearms and such, it would certainly be beneficial if the fire had an escrow service, but we don't, and so we end up extending trust anyway. So long as we've done due diligence (buyer and seller), we should have access to a better determination of risk. You can't separate the two.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Sniggly
Aside from the 'how to pay' question, there's another serious question entailed in all of this; how does one rationally deploy trust and assess risk in these transactions on the fire. No amount of scrutiny (of the question) will yield a scenario where both parties can operate in a zero trust environment. I suppose an escrow could qualify, but still, both the seller and the buyer end up extending some form of trust to the escrow holder. If you hold a personal check until it finally clears, sure, you as the seller might be extending zero trust, and therefore entail zero risk, but the buyer is extending maximum trust, and maximum risk. So you see, no one on the fire can transact in a zero trust environment.

As a person that sells here on the fire, I've found it beneficial to extend trust to my buyers. This exposes me to potential fraud, but I know my degree of risk, and, I know the benefits of a properly executed transaction that had trust built in as a material part of the transaction. I 'earn' a positive reputation, and so do my buyers.

Now, for the large dollar amount transactions, such as firearms and such, it would certainly be beneficial if the fire had an escrow service, but we don't, and so we end up extending trust anyway. So long as we've done due diligence (buyer and seller), we should have access to a better determination of risk. You can't separate the two.

I'm a guy, I use my head and gut. I've shipped more than a fare share of stuff before ever receiving payment and experienced that same from others.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by RemModel8

I'm a guy, I use my head and gut. I've shipped more than a fare share of stuff before ever receiving payment and experienced that same from others.

Yep, me too, on other forums. I'm kinda newish here, but, on the large I think people that participate here, are very good people.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mauserfan
Cash or a personal check and waiting to clear is the only positive way to get your money. There are counterfeit USPS MO out there....I have mine verified at my local rural PO before I deposit. I will take cash, personal check or USPS MO only on firearms.

This

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
it would certainly be beneficial if the fire had an escrow service, but we don't,

That is potentially a very slippery slope. When a site begins to actually facilitate transactions by providing financial services to its members, it attracts the wrong kind of attention, including from the states that like to collect sales tax on online purchases. Just ask eBay...and Armslist. The site does not want that kind of exposure.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I take Cash, Check or USPO MO.................. So far I have NEVER waited for a check to clear before shipping....... bank cashes MOs on the spot...

Most times, you tell me funds are on the way, I will get your item on the way too. Sometimes you will get what I sell before I get your money.......... Knock on wood, haven't been dicked yet!!!

Not quite sure why one should be 'on the hook' longer than the other, but that's the way most operate....

Do a little research in the classifieds and you can steer clear of most issues....

So far I haven't done any deals that were over $300, I might act different if we were trading a couple a grand of paper and goods though.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mrchongo
it would certainly be beneficial if the fire had an escrow service, but we don't,

That is potentially a very slippery slope. When a site begins to actually facilitate transactions by providing financial services to its members, it attracts the wrong kind of attention, including from the states that like to collect sales tax on online purchases. Just ask eBay...and Armslist. The site does not want that kind of exposure.

Didn't think of that. Very good point.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yeah, I've never waited on a check to clear. If you got a brain, this stuff isn't complicated.

I've deleted PM's sent about purchasing an item, simply because they didn't start or end it with their REAL name.

Communication is king. Phone numbers, email etc etc. Letting people know when you'll mail payment, when payment has mailed, when payment was received, when you plan to ship item, when item is shipped etc etc.

I sold one item, zero communication, but money etc was sent promptly. Also no communication that the item was received. Sure, no problems, but I'd never sell/buy to that individual again. Just how I operate and again, communication is king.

I've done $3k purchases here and no problem, but I trust me most of all. Besides, I'm the type that would bury myself alive just to show you that I can use a shovel.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If the ad specifies, Money Order as only form of payment,...I pass right on by. No Money Orders, period.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m with you one1shot. Spending 30 minutes driving to the post office, waiting in line, interacting with pleasant postal workers - all so I can do something that I could’ve done in 25 seconds from my phone - doesn’t happen for me in 2020.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 73 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.