Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Kc, same here: 2 pole is a gamble in heavy winds.

That diamond brand version of the USMC tent is 8.7 lbs with guy-out lines and stakes, I weighed mine.

About a 5ft x7ft floor (not including vestibule)

Can set up just the fly as well, leaving the tent body if shaving weight.

I just relayed the weight that's listed on the website.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by KC

The USMC Combat tent weighs 13#. It better be strong.

I have backpacked mine (the eureka version) a couple of times for short hikes, but it isn't a backpacking tent. I just tried to weigh it, and the scale gave up at 15lbs. There are a couple of extra stakes in there, but nothing crazy. My 6 man Cabelas guide tent is like 23 or 25lbs with stakes.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have been blown out so many times I went to a full expedition mountaineering 4 season tent. It should have the X type and hoop frame both. Nothing else stands up to winds over 40 mph or heavy snow or even monsoon rains. Here is just an example of a four season tent, if it had double vestibules it would be even better. https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/m...JwyTEAQYAiABEgIBnPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive got a VE-25 that has been used maybe 6 days and nights and has been in its bag in storage for the last 20 years. Weighs 13 lbs so its not a solo tent. Split it in half for two people, one with tent and poles, the other with fly and stakes and its perfect. I used it as a 3 person tent with my two daughters when they were young. If you cant find one, pm me and I might let it go. These days I sleep on a cot in a 10x10 Springbar, or a 14 x 16 Montana Canvas with internal frame. Tough getting old.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Last time I slept in one was in Germany in the winter of 76/77. Fuggin tents inside temp equals outside temp about 20 minutes after the fire goes out. I’ve slept in some drafty cabins that you could sling a housecat under the door and that still beats a tent. Last hunt in CO, the designee failed to stoke the stove and it was 26 deg inside come morning. If we had been in a tent, it would have been about 9 inside...y’all are just tougher than I am. Or just dumber...

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/k-2-xt-2-3-person-tent

Not a bad tent, I got mine 10 years ago for less than half the price listed on the link. Watch geartrade for deals.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I am limited to one bag of specific dimensions weighing no more than 45 lbs, so 2 tents is not possible.

The tent I am looking at now is 4 lbs. 4 ozs. Marmot, Ultralight Tungsten 3P, I beleive it is 3 season and 2 poles.
I beleive there is no foot print for this one, but there is for the 1P, 2P and 4P. Anyone know if there is a footprint made for this, I dont see it on their web site.

https://www.marmot.com/tungsten-ultralight-3-person-tent-37820.html?dwvar_37820_color=4207&dwvar_37820_size=0000ONE&cgid=#globalsearch=tungsten%2Bultrlight%2B3%2Bperson%2Btent%2Bfootprint&lang=en_US&q=tungsten%2Bultrlight%2B3%2Bperson%2Btent%2Bfootprint&start=1

N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No experience with that one, sorry.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cold Zero
I am limited to one bag of specific dimensions weighing no more than 45 lbs, so 2 tents is not possible.

The tent I am looking at now is 4 lbs. 4 ozs. Marmot, Ultralight Tungsten 3P, I beleive it is 3 season and 2 poles.
I beleive there is no foot print for this one, but there is for the 1P, 2P and 4P. Anyone know if there is a footprint made for this, I dont see it on their web site.

https://www.marmot.com/tungsten-ultralight-3-person-tent-37820.html?dwvar_37820_color=4207&dwvar_37820_size=0000ONE&cgid=#globalsearch=tungsten%2Bultrlight%2B3%2Bperson%2Btent%2Bfootprint&lang=en_US&q=tungsten%2Bultrlight%2B3%2Bperson%2Btent%2Bfootprint&start=1

#1. Don't expect a 3-season tent to perform well in high winds. Not going to happen.
#2. You don't need to carry the extra weight of a footprint. They are just an up-sell that you can live without.

Marmot makes good gear that you can count on to perform well in extreme conditiions. Take a look at this Marmot Fortress tent.
Marmot Fortress
It weighs 5# 9oz., and has good reviews but I haven't personall y used it. Only two poles???? Is it really a 4-season tent???

Whatever tent you decide to buy, remember that you should try to set it up someplace where it's protected from the wind if you can find a place like that. Also remember to use all of the velcro that attaches the rain fly to the poles and use all of the tie-downs.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NMiller
https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/k-2-xt-2-3-person-tent

Not a bad tent, I got mine 10 years ago for less than half the price listed on the link. Watch geartrade for deals.

I own a Eureka K2-XT. It's a bombproof mountaineering expedition tent. But it weighs 11#.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
KC

Thanks for your input. The Tungsten 3P 3 season tent is out.

I do like the Fortress 3P which does seem heavier and more heavy duty than the Tungsten, but the Marmot web site does not tell you how many seasons that tent is. It sounds like from the description that it is 4 season but I need to know for sure. I would also like to know how many tent pegs and poles it has.

If no one here knows, then I will have to call them since they don't put enough details on their web site.

If the Fortress is a 4 season likely that will be the one I go with.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I just realized that the Fortress seems to only have one door and no vestibules for gear storage. If that is the case, then that won't work either.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Any idea for Mountain Hardware or The North Face ?

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Any comments or experience with the North Face VE 25 - 3 person tent ?

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Cold Zero
Any comments or experience with the North Face VE 25 - 3 person tent ?

I owned and used a VE-25 for a couple of decades and on three trips up Mount McKinley. I also used it on several Alaska fly-in hunts and on a great float hunt. It is a bombproof mountaineering expedition tent. In the 1980s and '90s it was the tent of choice for extreme mountaineering expeditions. Mine got scorched so I bought the Eureka K2-XT to replace it. But it's heavy; 10# I think. When climbing Mount McKinley you carry your tent in a sled so the weight is not as important as when you are carrying it on your back.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WAM
Last time I slept in one was in Germany in the winter of 76/77. Fuggin tents inside temp equals outside temp about 20 minutes after the fire goes out. I’ve slept in some drafty cabins that you could sling a housecat under the door and that still beats a tent. Last hunt in CO, the designee failed to stoke the stove and it was 26 deg inside come morning. If we had been in a tent, it would have been about 9 inside...y’all are just tougher than I am. Or just dumber...

spent many nights in those tents in the army. not a fan lol

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back in the day before Mountain Hardwear, TNF mountain 24 was the business, the VE 25 was a little bigger.
Then the designers from Sierra Designs and TNF quit and started Mountain Hardwear, they went on a tent kick for a bit.
The Trango II and Trango III were like the Mountain 24, but moved the side poles crossing point off the floor so along a side wall, you had 4 points of contact, made is stronger and, in my opinion better.
They were pretty darn great for a lighter weight 4 season.
I'd still put a Moss Superdome II or III up against most hurricanes. Those things were great to have someone else carry if you got to sleep in it.
Let us know what you end of deciding, I've moved to floorless tipis for rugged winds and 4 seasons as the stove makes it pretty darn nice.

Keep Smiling
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Just found out that Black Diamond wants the customer to seam seal their product. Their tents come with the seam seal. Well, that out, not going to happen.

I had no idea that finding something to meet my requirements and not spend $910 with Hillebarg would be so damn difficult.

End of rant....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JonS
Back in the day before Mountain Hardwear, TNF mountain 24 was the business, the VE 25 was a little bigger.
Then the designers from Sierra Designs and TNF quit and started Mountain Hardwear, they went on a tent kick for a bit.
The Trango II and Trango III were like the Mountain 24, but moved the side poles crossing point off the floor so along a side wall, you had 4 points of contact, made is stronger and, in my opinion better.
They were pretty darn great for a lighter weight 4 season.
I'd still put a Moss Superdome II or III up against most hurricanes. Those things were great to have someone else carry if you got to sleep in it.
Let us know what you end of deciding, I've moved to floorless tipis for rugged winds and 4 seasons as the stove makes it pretty darn nice.

I like the looks of the MH Trangos. Very similar to my SD Tiros 1. Four poles, crossing points well off the floor. The Tiros' vestibule isn't as generous as the Trango's and has a pure rectangular footprint. But with the MH history, there's got to be some Tiros DNA in the Trango line.

The Tiros has the weight advantage, but man, I'd hate to spend weeks living out of that thing with another dude.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tent within a tent.
I was watching a National Geographic show and a fellow was studying the Mongolian people and within their tent hey set a tent or room within the tent Andy he kept it comfortable with like a candle in a glass or metal container. Outdoor temp was well below zero.
Don’t know how he Main Ted safety and not burn it down.
I understand the military does something similar for survival training, those of you would know better than me.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.