Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Big f'ing interstate exit lights are screwing me! Damned DOT!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks John for the reminder. Couldn't find it in the am the other day. Started looking too far N tonight using a 50 + year old set of Monkey Ward 7x35 binocs I keep around for quick checks on stuff near the house. Had a hard time, then saw a streak. Sure as shinola, there it was.

Tried to get a pic with my 300mm lens, but I don't know how to set the camera for shooting at night. Won't release the shutter on "auto" function. Have a bro that knows cameras, hoping to get some help from him for tomorrow.

Then got the better set of 18 year old Pentax 10x50's out and a much better look at it.

Tail was way more visible than I thought it would be. Too bad it's so low on the horizon and so early. An hour ago and it was still pretty light in that direction as the sun is still pretty far north for this location.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Put exposure on b and hold it open for 45 seconds. Or something.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Supposedly this comet drops below our horizon as the night progresses, then reappears in the early morning hours in the northeast. I'm guessing that it will still be in the vicinity of the big dipper, but am not sure.

Reportedly was only visible in the morning hours until a few days ago.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couldn't see it from the Delta. Too low in sky and marine layer was probably blocking it.

Web site I'm using to find it is showing it gaining elevation each night.

Was nice to be several miles out of the city on such a beautiful night.

i'll head back out in a few days.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

UH......................Okie Dokie.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, it ain't no Hale-Bopp,

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad

What kind of camera? B is for bulb. Old school for opening the shutter as long as you hold it.. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got a quick course in binocular light gathering tonight. We had my leupold 8X42 imports and my Steiner 8X22 compacts.

Both of these did pretty well for looking at the comet. But my son wears glasses and prefers the larger binocular as it's easier for him to use. I was using the 8X22s and thought I was seeing about all there was to see.

When my son got behind the spotter, I picked up the 8X42 Leupolds. WOW! What a difference...

I have never owned a truly high end binocular, but am sorely tempted...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What kind of camera? B is for bulb. Old school for opening the shutter as long as you hold it.. LOL

Nikon 3400, Nikor 70-300 Lens.

Black if that helps. grin

Oh, if I'm going to hold the shutter open that long, I better invest in a tripod or see if the one for my spotter would work.

Maybe I can rest it on a fencepost and pray.

Last edited by Valsdad; 07/13/20.

In it is contentment

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yah. You need to be steady. Probably has a manual mode. B for exposure, wide open on aperture, manual focus infinity. LOL

I think I can see the tail with the front over the horizon?

Anyway, got me looking up. Right here right now is the best star scene I've had in years. Even better than it was last winter on the North Slope, well, warmer for sure.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 07/13/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Early morning:

[Linked Image from earthsky.org]

Evening:

[Linked Image from earthsky.org]

Last edited by ironbender; 07/14/20.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sure as heck.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks guys. Looking just like IB's morning pic,

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I woke up at 4:30 AM and couldn't get back to sleep. Should have gone out to take a peek, but I forgot about the comet.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
0400 was pretty good. Faint by 0445 here on mountain time.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I am not seeing it with binoculars. Lafayette is about 25 miles away giving off a ton of artificial light in the comet’s path.

Did get a good look at Jupiter, could see three moons with my spotting scope and could faintly see the rings on Saturn.
Um, turn around. It's in the other direction. grin
I was out the other morning and could see Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, and Mars. There were clouds where the comet would be, though. I finally saw it last night but the sky's still too bright to see it without binocs. Hopefully that'll change in the next week as it get higher in the evening sky.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

While out “flushing” irrigation filters last night at about 23:00hrs, I finally thought to look for it! It was pretty low on the horizon and pretty distinctive....but, being that low on the horizon, I’m sure the image was pretty badly diffused by atmosphere! The wife and I looked at it with binoculars for a little while! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Nikon 3400, Nikor 70-300 Lens.

Black if that helps. grin

Oh, if I'm going to hold the shutter open that long, I better invest in a tripod or see if the one for my spotter would work.

Maybe I can rest it on a fencepost and pray.

Here is the source of all info, of course, a youtube video for your Nikon. How to do time exposure.
I have virtually the same camera, I have the 3500. You can set it up to 30 seconds time exposure, very easy.
Yes you need a tripod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV79PQGLiek

It is a 4 1/2 minute video but you learn time exposure in about a minute.

To boil it down, you set the main dial on top on "S" for shutter.
The little black plain wheel dial on top, you start to turn it. On the lower left of your screen will be shutter speed. Might be 1/60. That means one sixtieth of a second.
Keep turning it to lower numbers, 1/30, then 1/15. You will get to where it says on the lower left screen 2" That means 2 second time exposure.
You can run that right up to 30" a 30 second time exposure.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I went out east of town last night to find dark skies. Not ideal, humid, a slight have, but there below the ladle of the Big Dipper, just above the horizon in the NNW, a slanted fuzzy spot that appeared to have two tails, or a forked tail..Almost lost in the haze. Glad I brought the good binocs.

Of course the further you are north the higher in the sky it will be, and I could tell it would look nice in a clear sky. Still supposed to hang in there another week, but no telling how bright it will be. Comets are like that.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 20 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.