S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by smokepole

I doubt the elk just vanished statewide.

If by chance they did, then you can thank a wolf.

In Colorado? Do tell.

As others have said, it's been hot here for weeks now and you're not going to see them out and about during the day unless you're way up high.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevor...the-first-time-in-90-years/#7dd838c86f62

A Pack Of Wolves Was Spotted In Colorado For The First Time In 90 Years

Trevor Nace

Jan 25, 2020,07:30am EST

It’s been 80 years since the last wolf was hunted and killed in Colorado, leaving the state, which was once abundant with wolves, without any.

Recently, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) confirmed that they saw a pack of 6 or more wolves in the northwest of Colorado. These wolves, which are roaming around Moffat County are the first pack that has called Colorado their home since the 1930s.

On January 19, CPW officials saw large wolf tracks circling an animal carcass in Moffat County and while they didn’t initially see the wolves they heard wolves howling in the area. Then, officials located the pack about two miles away from the animal carcass, identifying about six wolves in total.

I have personally killed wolves where they were not supposed to be before. Like a few hundred miles from where they should be. USFWS are a bunch of liars when it comes to their little pet projects.

"A pack of wolves was spotted in Colorado." Yes, I am aware of this, everyone is. Key word is "a." "A" pack of wolves is not the reason the OP didn't see any elk in three weeks.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
the farther north in colorado ya go, the less texans to be seen.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I bet you couldn't go three weeks without spottin' one......

We got some stayin' at our house, always grilling fajitas and mixing margaritas from scratch, I don't reckon I can take much more of this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
There’s a BUNCH in Lake City.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We got some stayin' at our house, always grilling fajitas and mixing margaritas from scratch, I don't reckon I can take much more of this.
Sounds rough.

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
[quote=rockinbbar]

In Colorado? Do tell.

"A pack of wolves was spotted in Colorado." Yes, I am aware of this, everyone is. Key word is "a." "A" pack of wolves is not the reason the OP didn't see any elk in three weeks.

Typical commie closet liberal smokepole response, after you get your azz handed to you.

You asked "Do tell", and rockinbbar Did tell, and like the closet slimy liberal you are, you come back and spin the narrative after you were TOLD what YOU had "asked" to be told, because you're not man enough to take an azz woopin on the internet, which makes your signature so damn hilarious.....freaking mentally sick, you are.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Plenty of elk in Co.

This time of year, they are usually on north facing slopes in dark timber, bedded down or playing in mud holes, and feeding above timberline early and late.

There is a big local group of maybe ~200 head that live and play all around Loveland, Co. I live in a full-fledged urban sprawl neighborhood at the end of a Cul-De-Sac, and my cameras have caught elk eating bird feed out of feeders at my neighbors house.

Anyhow.... I spend most of my elk time around Walden. This time of year, if I wanted to see home elk, I'd focus on NW Jackson County (Mt. Zirkel wilderness, above timberline - Davis peak, for example), or south Jackson County, near the continental divide.

For early archery and muzzleloader I might even run those areas, but later rifle season......... I ain't tellin'

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger

Colorado folk seem to feel the same about Texas folk as Georgia folk felt about Yankees.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Colorado folk seem to feel the same about Texas folk as Georgia folk felt about Yankees.
I got nooo problem with em’.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

In Colorado? Do tell.

As others have said, it's been hot here for weeks now and you're not going to see them out and about during the day unless you're way up high.

Trevor Nace

Jan 25, 2020,07:30am EST

It’s been 80 years since the last wolf was hunted and killed in Colorado, leaving the state, which was once abundant with wolves, without any.

Recently, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) confirmed that they saw a pack of 6 or more wolves in the northwest of Colorado. These wolves, which are roaming around Moffat County are the first pack that has called Colorado their home since the 1930s.

On January 19, CPW officials saw large wolf tracks circling an animal carcass in Moffat County and while they didn’t initially see the wolves they heard wolves howling in the area. Then, officials located the pack about two miles away from the animal carcass, identifying about six wolves in total.

I have personally killed wolves where they were not supposed to be before. Like a few hundred miles from where they should be. USFWS are a bunch of liars when it comes to their little pet projects.

They are kinda like snakes and dimocraps, but i repeat myself. grin

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/13/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tough to be part of the convo when your experience dates back to the early 70’s. Back then the wildlife authorities would drop dynamite on the elk herds to break them up rather than allow poachers to slaughter them. I’m talking the New Mexico side of the Co/NM border on the east side of the Rio Grande.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by DMc
Tough to be part of the convo when your experience dates back to the early 70’s. Back then the wildlife authorities would drop dynamite on the elk herds to break them up rather than allow poachers to slaughter them. I’m talking the New Mexico side of the Co/NM border on the east side of the Rio Grande.

Ha Ha them was the good old days! Used to see small planes with tape over the tail numbers (day before season opener) circle low into the timber basins followed by loud explosions. Opening morning crack of dawn sounded like WWIII. Rest of the trip would be hauling quarters. These days you could go back to the same general area and never find a track in three days.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
[quote=rockinbbar]

In Colorado? Do tell.

Typical commie closet liberal smokepole response, after you get your azz handed to you.

You asked "Do tell", and rockinbbar Did tell, and like the closet slimy liberal you are, you come back and spin the narrative after you were TOLD what YOU had "asked" to be told, because you're not man enough to take an azz woopin on the internet, which makes your signature so damn hilarious.....freaking mentally sick, you are.

LOL, you can't make this stuff up. "elkslayer" to the rescue!!! Dumbass, there's one pack in Colorado, and it's nowhere near the places the OP visited.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
GregW, I agree, just a little surprised I didn't see any at all...

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 257Bob
GregW, I agree, just a little surprised I didn't see any at all...

Well, you gotta look up high. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Unless its real dry. Then you gotta look low. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beware the wolves. Once they arrive they breed like rabbits. Oregon had NONE for forever, until #07 came through. He magically found two mates in a state with no wolves and started having litters. Now their tracks show up all over, in 5 years or so. A buddy saw a pup the other day. ironically, he said there was zero blacktail deer sign anywhere in the area.

LOL
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 92 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.