Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I ran across this video that claims farmers are throwing away/burying TONS of potatoes. And not just taters, other crops and farms shutting down. Anyone verify this or is this propaganda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY90JRyFcDM

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of those spuds go into french fries for the restaurant market. With the market shut down, they're going bad in the cellars. Some have been sold to consumers locally but they aren't cleaned and packaged for the retail market. The dairy industry is huge here, too, and they've had to dump a lot of milk for the same reason. There's a convenience store about 12 miles from me that's been selling milk for $1/gal to help one of the local dairymen to keep from dumping it. Most of the dairies aren't set up to process it, though. They can only ship it in bulk and the market's dried up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i know a farmer I Shelley that dumped two cellars. Each holds enough spuds to feed Idaho for a year.

We bought 8 pigs off a truck from the Midwest for about $100 a piece, and they were running several semis a week just to get rid of them. Local butchers are booked until January, now, or we would have bought a couple more batches.

It’s real.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Local butchers are very busy. People are buying up meat locally as fast as they can. I just had a beef butchered a couple of days ago, and the butcher said he had done 50 hamburger cows this spring, and he is backed up about a month. I got on his list again for october. I think fall will be pretty interesting.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
wayneshaw: After your link sent me to a "pro" black lives matter site I quicklyshitcanned it!
I love potatoes though.
Hope they don't become hard to find.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Most of those spuds go into french fries for the restaurant market. With the market shut down, they're going bad in the cellars. Some have been sold to consumers locally but they aren't cleaned and packaged for the retail market. The dairy industry is huge here, too, and they've had to dump a lot of milk for the same reason. There's a convenience store about 12 miles from me that's been selling milk for $1/gal to help one of the local dairymen to keep from dumping it. Most of the dairies aren't set up to process it, though. They can only ship it in bulk and the market's dried up.

News piece from a while ago said the demand for home cook fries drove them to search for ways to repackage commercial fries. All because no one thought to temporarily waive the nutritional information labeling requirement. (Potato, salt, seasoning, preservative?)
Otherwise you could buy the brown paper sacks of frozen fries.

Or you could just cut up a potato.

Years ago, my favorite grease wagon. Guy had a fry maker on the wall. Minister potato, pull handle, throw freshly cut fries in fryolator...
Really good fries.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Man our food supply chain for large cities is a house of cards. Do those people even realize how on the edge they actually are.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awhile back farmers were piling potatoes in shopping mall and church parking lots in Billings and in my small town. The people were scarfing them up.

My guess is they were coming from the Bozeman to Townsend area. The only place I have ever seen potatoes in Montana.

Last edited by kennymauser; 07/14/20. Reason: Correcting screw-up
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
wayneshaw: After your link sent me to a "pro" black lives matter site I quicklyshitcanned it!
I love potatoes though.
Hope they don't become hard to find.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Not sure what you mean about a pro-blm. I scanned through the video, sounded kinda fishy to me, so I thought I would ask here from people this is supposed to be taking place.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
About a month and a half ago, in Helena, MT, there was a farm that brought in at least one, and I believe two huge open trailers full of potatoes, then put out a sign that they were free to take. The reason I think there were two was it went on for about a week, and one of the times I saw the trailer, it seems to have been refilled.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

With all these food shortages you'd think I'd lose some weight...

Quando omni flunkus moritati
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know the Cranney's in Oakley Idaho opened up their cellers and told everyone to come and get potatoes fir free. It definitely happened, I know them personally and used to haul potatoes fir their neighbors the Woodhouse family back when I was in high-school.

Fresh packs can only run so many spuds. The big processors that make fries etc. had a huge decrease in demand when the restaurants closed.

Bb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.