24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Many ATV trails are limited to 50" wide which eliminates the large majority of UTV's. A big ATV can haul 2 people but it's sure nice to have my wife belted in beside me instead of perched up on a high seat behind me. On side hills, you sit lower in an SXS for better stability but also you can't lean uphill so that part is a wash (The SXS has a roll cage in case you really screw up).
However, there are very few 50's out there. We have a 50" 2012 Polaris RZR 800 that we take in some pretty hairy places. We trail ride. We don't race, jump, or any of that stuff. We're 70'ish and don't want to be tearing up an expensive machine but we do some technical riding over, around, and seemingly under some pretty big rocks and logs. By staying under 50", we have a lot more places we can go. There are hundreds of miles of 50" trails around here that we can ride.

A 50 will fit in the back of a pickup so we can also pull our camp trailer. We have a long bed pickup. The back tires of the RZR put the full weight on the bed, not the tailgate, but the gate doesn't quite close so I have to tie it shut. With a short bed, the back wheels of the UTV are on the tailgate which usually isn't strong enough to safely carry the weight. They make kits to strengthen them if necessary. A 50 will fit between the wheel wells so you don't have to invent some way to go above them. I've seen some racks that put the front wheels above the cab which allows you to close the tailgate.

There are only a half dozen 50's made. The only REAL 50" UTV's are these:
Polaris 570 and 900. I know a couple people who have the 570 and it gets there. It's a good machine. I have an 800 which was replaced by the 900. I'd much prefer that one but they cost quite a bit more. The extra horses are very useful when it gets steep or when speeding down a road between trails.
CanAm Maverick Trail A lot of guys don't like CanAm but I have no experience with them. I've never heard anything really bad about them, though, so I don't know what the complaints are.
Honda 500 Pioneer It's said to be underpowered and slow but very well built. They don't have any extra features, it's a very basic model
Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail I'm told the AC has gone downhill since Textron bought them out

The others that I wouldn't even consider
Cub Cadet makes one but it has a tiny 400cc engine and can only do 25 mph. I suspect it would power out on some of the hills we climb.
CFMOTO – Zforce 800 Trail. It's made in China so that should tell you all you need to know. There are no dealers anywhere near here anyway.

With a machine weighing close to 1000lb (maybe 1500 with 2 men and fully loaded), you'd like 60 or 70 hp or more. That's a lot of weight to be hauling up a steep hill. Our RZR 800 has climbed every hill that I have the cojones to try. I haven't tried towing a trailer behind it up in the hills but some of these can tow 1500lb.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A few observations here-
I have owned both ATV's and SxS UTV's, and currently have a Polaris General 1000. My previous machine was a Polaris RZR 800 Trail model, with 50" width. Great machine, took myself, my wife, and dog everywhere. My only complaints with the machine was the feeling of instability in some situations, due to its width, and not as much clearance as I would have liked. I originally bought it, in 2013, with the thought that it would allow us to ride the 50" restricted trails, but found that here in CO, there are just not that many such trails. Most can be easily ridden with wider machines, like my 60" General. We have used it for riding in Moab, Taylor Park, 4 Mile Rec area, Texas Creek, Seep Spring, Penrose Commons, trails around Woodland Park, Poncha Springs, Silver Cliff, and a host of other trail sites, with no trail restrictions. If I actually lived in an area where most of the trails had the 50" width restriction, I would probably still have the RZR 800.

The SxS machines offer a lot of advantages over ATV's , such as the ability to take 2 or 4 passengers, room for dogs, cargo, etc., particularly with machines like the General.
A roof comes in very handy in inclement weather and to ward off direct sunlight, as do a windshield, doors, etc.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Friends don't let friends buy 'CFMoto'

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We have many miles of 50" trails here. When UTV's started coming out. some of the ATV crowd wanted to limit the trails to vehicles with handle bars, thus eliminating the UTV's. It was nonsense and went nowhere.
My Razor did sit a bit low but last time I needed tires, I swapped from 25 to 26" and added a 2" lift kit for very little money. That extra little bit made a huge difference. The instructions for the lift kit said that unless you're jumping, disconnect the torsion bar. That allows the wheels to independently move up and down much farther which really helps keep them on the ground when rock climbing. I did and it helped a lot. The bar is only needed when you're airborne to keep both wheels semi even for a safer landing.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

My wife and I are looking into buying our first sxs. Drove the Can Am, RZR 900 and Honda Pioneer 500 yesterday in Rexburg. Salesman super helpful. Leaning more towards RZR but really liked the Honda as well, especially the price, about 4000 cheaper, and I liked the paddle shifters. Honda is definitely more utilitarian and seemed to ride rougher. Can Am gave smoothest ride but is longer and visibility was lacking. We will be using it for cruising trails and logging roads, and plan to mount a plow for pushing snow. Been looking at the used market but their is very little and they are asking nearly as much as new. Thoughts or recommendations?

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Can Am would be my last choice

Take 'em for another test ride.......price diff ?

Honda builds good stuff

https://powersports.honda.com/sxs/recutility/pioneer-500

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
RZR 900 Fox Edition is around 15000. The Honda 500 is around 10000. Will the Honda do as well pushing snow? We are also looking into a used RZR 570 2015 model with 250 miles for 7900. Now kind of leaning toward the 570.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

just a thought.......look at the price diff too for the snow plow/winch attachments

My Teryx was expensive.......I just use my tractor

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/utv-wheels

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you live in the flat lands the Honda 500 would be fine, but a 500CC side by side with two people and gear climbing any steep terrain with NO low gear is going to be a gutless pig. The only Honda sxs that has low gear is the 1000, the 700 while it doesnt have low gear either at least has a little more power and can get the job done a little better but the 500 will get its ass kicked doing any real work in terrain.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
If you live in the flat lands the Honda 500 would be fine, but a 500CC side by side with two people and gear climbing any steep terrain with NO low gear is going to be a gutless pig. The only Honda sxs that has low gear is the 1000, the 700 while it doesnt have low gear either at least has a little more power and can get the job done a little better but the 500 will get its ass kicked doing any real work in terrain.

Note....the 500 is geared. I think it will have the umph needed for 2 people. Maybe not speed but Honda's first gear is tractor-like.

I should add I don't drive a Pioneer but use a Foreman everyday.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We ride with some friends who have a RZR 570. Ours is a RZR 800. We can easily outrun them on a road but on the trails we ride, we're going slow and they have no problem keeping up. So far, the 570 will climb anything they've tried (however, they're not daredevils). I don't know about pushing snow. I put a plow on the 800 3 years ago but we haven't had enough snow to test it the last 3 winters.

With any of these, don't plan on keeping up with ATVs on steep roads. They're considerably heavier and with 2 aboard, an ATV over about 700cc will run away from you.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJ65
RZR 900 Fox Edition is around 15000. The Honda 500 is around 10000. Will the Honda do as well pushing snow? We are also looking into a used RZR 570 2015 model with 250 miles for 7900. Now kind of leaning toward the 570.

10k sounds pretty stiff for a Pioneer 500. Southern Powersports in Chattanooga Tn is selling Pioneer 700's for $10 700.00

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
the Pioneer 700 is a 60" while the 500 is a 50. Different machines for different purposes.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
PJ65,

First, if a dealer is trying to sell you a Pioneer 500 for $10,000, go somewhere else. I bought my 2020 model in February brand new for $7,300.

I was looking for a sxs and checked most models out. Where I'm using it the Pioneer 500 has plenty of power. My brother also has one and the two of us are big men and can run 40-50 mph in it.

I was going to be plowing with mine and wanted a compact machine. I've got a Warn 2500 lb winch and mounted the Honda/Warn plow system on it. Very easy to do. Also very easy to put on/take off as season dictates. I mounted the 54 inch plow blade on the advise of the local dealer and it worked perfectly. I also pulled the steel cable off and put the poly rope on in it's place. It doesn't kink and works smoother. All in on the plow system I spent $750. The first three gears are low. My driveway is up hill and when I come out of the garage plowing that thing is up shifting as it goes up the hill. I plowed all winter with it and only put it in 4wd once.

Only other purchases for it have been rear view mirrors mounted on the roll bars and a soft top on the roof, very handy in rain and snow.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Thanks for the info. Pulled the trigger on the 570. It’s a sellers market, but I don’t feel too bad about paying 7700. Only has 260 miles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
139 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.