Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Just got this one setup.

Ain't gonna work, talk about weak rear springs.

I figured an F350 was an F350 and could actually haul chit but this is a tinker toy compared to the springs under our dually.
(might need to start a suspension question thread rather than hijack)

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

This what I was thinking on reading the title....
Figured the flat bed might be lighter. But not with aluminum factory beds.

RBBR, nice rig. That is like a utility body crossed with a flatbed. But more versatile..

Redneck, (two Lee's here)
In some states, if you up rate the springs the DOT will allow you to up-rate your load rating. The downside is you have to up rate your insurance too.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 07/14/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave, I don't know what it has for springs other than they are weak sauce.

It has a total of 4 springs. 3 mains and a helper.

Our dually has a total of 10.

My '03 has a total of 6.

I didn't even think to question it but it's going back to Ford for heavier springs no doubt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got this one setup.

I figured an F350 was an F350 and could actually haul chit but this is a tinker toy compared to the springs under our dually.

You can change out the rear springs to the exact same as your dually.

Did exactly that to my 99 7.3.

Worked out great and rides fantastic.

I'd order this spring from ATS Springs.

https://www.autoandtrucksprings.com...w-heavy-duty-rear-leaf-spring-43-1263hd/

Last edited by Higginez; 07/14/20.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got this one setup.

You gotta buy older sam..lol we have 1992 superduty with a 5 ton dump bed. I've hauled 6 ton with it and its squatty but still drove good. It's a dump truck, not hauling a dump bed trailer.

I like your set up though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Higginez, thanks for the link man. I'm checking out their options as we speak. I'm not much of a gearhead, just load 'em up and go. We'll get something figured out!

Joel, I think they gayed up the suspension on these things for the weekend warrior Home Depot mulch crowd!

Those bales weren't even that heavy. I was curious so I drove into the elevator and checked the weight. 3300lbs for the pair, 1650 apiece. Nothing crazy at all.

Duals are great for hauling and pulling but I wanted a feed pickup with singles for mud and snow work. A Ranch Hand bumper grill guard is on back order and when these tires are shot I'm getting a set of Toyo MT's.

Already deleted and piped it. It hauls ass.......grin

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those bales weren't even that heavy. I was curious so I drove into the elevator and checked the weight. 3300lbs for the pair, 1650 apiece. Nothing crazy at all.
One thing though - look at where the weight is. The front bale is only slightly in front the axle. The other is way behind it plus there's the weight of the loader back there. It's leverage and it'll take considerably heavier springs to handle it. The same setup on a longer wheel base might work just fine.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Laffin

Round here unless you're pulling the space shuttle you ain't got schidt. My truck'll haul a fair bit, but isn't rated for texans. A guy needs to step up to the F550's or Chebby Kodiaks to haul that much hot air.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Higginez, thanks for the link man. I'm checking out their options as we speak. I'm not much of a gearhead, just load 'em up and go. We'll get something figured out!

Joel, I think they gayed up the suspension on these things for the weekend warrior Home Depot mulch crowd!

Duals are great for hauling and pulling but I wanted a feed pickup with singles for mud and snow work. A Ranch Hand bumper grill guard is on back order and when these tires are shot I'm getting a set of Toyo MT's.

Already deleted and piped it. It hauls ass.......grin

Even for singles, 3300 shouldn't be a problem. I agree trucks nowadays aren't trucks. City cars with beds. I will admit though my friends 2019 superduty is nice, just dont want the payment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
One thing though - look at where the weight is. The front bale is only slightly in front the axle. The other is way behind it plus there's the weight of the loader back there. It's leverage and it'll take considerably heavier springs to handle it. The same setup on a longer wheel base might work just fine.

The same setup works really good on a regular cab with duals and heavy weight springs. That is the gold standard for hay hauling.

The extended cab uses a slightly shorter bed and the weight hangs further back.

Snow White just needs some beefier springs and she'll be fine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

Even for singles, 3300 shouldn't be a problem. I agree trucks nowadays aren't trucks. City cars with beds. I will admit though my friends 2019 superduty is nice, just dont want the payment

The bed must be heavy as well. It was about 1/2" away from bottoming out on the 'rubber stoppers'.

I like to rag on newer pickups but they are pretty nice. Roll down the highway pulling a trailer at 75mph and no worries. You wouldn't do that with 1977 F250. I guess you could but it would be a handful!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Laffin

Round here unless you're pulling the space shuttle you ain't got schidt. My truck'll haul a fair bit, but isn't rated for texans. A guy needs to step up to the F550's or Chebby Kodiaks to haul that much hot air.

I heard those badass Toyata's can pull anything...............ANYTHING!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Just got this one setup.

Sam, ain't nothin' a new set of airbags won't fix. I love airbags, until you get a leaky fill line one one side or t'other.

Les Schwabb will put a set on there for you, or additional leaves in the springs. Just a few crisp new $100 bills.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

The bed must be heavy as well. It was about 1/2" away from bottoming out on the 'rubber stoppers'.

I like to rag on newer pickups but they are pretty nice. Roll down the highway pulling a trailer at 75mph and no worries. You wouldn't do that with 1977 F250. I guess you could but it would be a handful!

I had a 98 f150 in AK and with my Yamaha bigbear in the back I was on overloaders. I bought 3/4 ton springs for it and it was a rough ride but could handle weight. Borrowed my buddies 1979 f150, threw a Polaris 6 wheeler in the back and the bed barely moved. He laughed at me and I coulda shot him...

I can deal with older trucks just to have a real truck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
'Shooter, we thought about airbags but I'm afraid they might not fare well in frozen mud/ice?

Heavier springs should be worry free.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Air bags Sammy, air bags. Da be da chitzels.
Turns an F250 into a F350 with a squirt of air.

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Laffin

I heard those badass Toyata's can pull anything...............ANYTHING!

Profits go to the emperor sipping sake in his silk kimono, but the labor was American so by jiminy they are awesome. smile

Of course the high milage they used to tout went down the shidter when they started making them big enough to compete with American trucks, but hey let's not get into the weeds.

MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sam, how many over the road tractors use air bags in Montana weather? Most of them.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are already in weeds billygoat...lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a 96 z71 1/2 ton with airbags. Also had it in AK. Airbags worked. Haven't put air in them in 10 years but up there they worked. I just didnt want to carry around a air compressor so I went with springs on my ford.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had bags on my '76 3/4 ton when I bought it. They leaked. I tossed them. But they were a shadetree install. I thought about putting bags in my power wagon, but figured if I need that I needed a bigger truck. And one more point of failure I'm introducing into the equation.

MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.