Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Anybody drove a 2020 model Ram 4x4 with the 3rd gen EcoDiesel engine? If you don't mind let's save the Ford/Chev/Dodge BS that usually ensues, as I've owned them all, but am curious about this specific truck and engine. Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ll talk to my buddy about the 3rd gen, but he is a ram diesel mechanic, and he wouldn’t own one.
He’s lost count of how many he’s had to re build or re place.
If I remember correctly, he says the lower end on this motor is garbage.
Cummins all the way. Sorry I know you didn’t want to hear that.

Last edited by Dre; 07/15/20.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Not a 2020, wife had a 2017 eco diesel. Great grocery getter with outstanding MPG. But hook a two horse trailer or a 5800lb ski boat to it you were in trouble. MPG would drop from 26-27 to 12-13, temps would go through the roof. Oli temps would reach 265 and the coolant was always at or near 209-210. Truck was not made for towing. Best thing about the truck, the oil filter was upside down and was always empty when they came off. She now has a 3/4 ton Duramax and we both feel better when she is towing.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fiat is all you need to know

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Really...

Do tell us of your Fiat engine experience.

It is also common knowledge that Ram Trucks rejected the Cummins engine version when putting together a 1/2 diesel.

I do have some experience myself with Fiat diesel engines. Many farmers do, as they are in 100's of thousands of heavy duty tractors.

The one I have has been pretty bulletproof, powerful, constant, and reliable.

In January 2013 Fiat Powertrain Technologies was incorporated in Fiat Group Automobiles.
FPT Verrone plant.

The company had activities in nine different countries, it had 10 plants and around 20,000 employees.With output of around 2.9 million engines and 2.4 million transmissions and axles annually, Fiat Powertrain Technologies is one of the largest companies in the powertrain sector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Powertrain_Technologies

It ain't the car companies fugging things up. It's the government, with their emissions requirements and mandates.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I will never own a modern diesel over 25 HP.

I own three pre EPA Cummins, two MEP-002 gensets, pre EPA Ford backhoe.

Will buy the Kioti ZTR in diesel when it hits the market.

IMHO all diesels should be inline or possibly slant.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Fix It Again Tony

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Really...

Do tell us of your Fiat engine experience.

It is also common knowledge that Ram Trucks rejected the Cummins engine version when putting together a 1/2 diesel.

I do have some experience myself with Fiat diesel engines. Many farmers do, as they are in 100's of thousands of heavy duty tractors.

The one I have has been pretty bulletproof, powerful, constant, and reliable.

In January 2013 Fiat Powertrain Technologies was incorporated in Fiat Group Automobiles.
FPT Verrone plant.

The company had activities in nine different countries, it had 10 plants and around 20,000 employees.With output of around 2.9 million engines and 2.4 million transmissions and axles annually, Fiat Powertrain Technologies is one of the largest companies in the powertrain sector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Powertrain_Technologies

It ain't the car companies fugging things up. It's the government, with their emissions requirements and mandates.

rock, thanks for that info. I know the previous gen EcoDiesel's had some issues, but the newer '20 (3rd generation) version is supposed to be excellent, which is the engine I was referring to, (you already knew and recognized that). Ditto that on the smaller Cummins....not in the same league as the one's in the 3/4ton + Ram trucks. The Cummins that was found in the Nissan Titan wasn't either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not really a FIAT motor, it's VM Motori . Detroit then GM owned them, now FCA. own the company. The company has had a very good international rep. The engine was designed for the European Cadillac. Very advanced and smooth. for a diesel . Not a truck engine. Most half tons are used as cars anyway. Early ones had the injector pump press fit on the camshaft. Under heavy load it would slip. It needs a keyway to be bullet proof. Guys were having that done and loved the engine afterwards. I don't know about them now Google the reviews. .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Anybody drove a 2020 model Ram 4x4 with the 3rd gen EcoDiesel engine? If you don't mind let's save the Ford/Chev/Dodge BS that usually ensues, as I've owned them all, but am curious about this specific truck and engine. Thanks.
........................If ya go Ram, then get either the 6 cyl or the 5.7 Hemi.... Imo, stay away from the diesel.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B3

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They seem to have a lot of rebates... my buds wife has 2020 they like it.. they use it as the grocery getter, doubt a trailer ever get hooked up to it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My next vehicle.......Diesel not an option......lol........https://www.dodge.com/charger/gallery.html...

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I have a 2017 1500 4WD that has a lift kit and 20" tires with the 3rd gen in it. It has 117548 miles on it and averages 22 mpg on the highway and 20 in the city.
When I hook my trailer and load the Polaris Ranger it drops to 14-16. Have never had an issue with it but there have been several recalls.
I really like the dang thing..................YMMV

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
........................If ya go Ram, then get either the 6 cyl or the 5.7 Hemi.... Imo, stay away from the diesel.

Why, specifcally?

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 79S
They seem to have a lot of rebates... my buds wife has 2020 they like it.. they use it as the grocery getter, doubt a trailer ever get hooked up to it.

They sure do. My son just bought a Ram Crew 4x4 Lone Star with the Ecodiesel and he's getting 30.3mpg on the hwy, 27mpg avg. Listed for $55k, sales price was $44,250.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

Why, specifcally?
..................Down the road repair costs for one thing. And. Diesels are more money going in on a new purchase like several thousand dollars. On an average Ram 1500 where say someone might tow around 10,000 lbs or less, then a diesel imo is not a good choice....However when ya get up to towing 15-20-30,000 lbs or more, then a large amount of torque like 800 + ft lbs from a big diesel is certainly justified.

And besides. NO diesel engine sounds as good as my 5.7 Hemi Ram with two 18" magnaflow straight thru mufflers. I am very biased towards not only a V8 but also the way it sounds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just pay very close attention to payload. Last time I looked at an eco diesel, by the time you had 4 normal sized guys in it, you had something like 300-400 pounds of payload left (if that matters to you).

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
JGRaider: I bought my 1996 Dodge 4x4, extended cab, 5 speed manual, Cummins diesel new and have "babied" it (hard usage off road and a little towing but careful and timely maintenance!) and it has 140,000 miles on it - never a wrench taken to any part of it to date. Thank you Lord.
The prices of "new" 4x4 trucks these days makes me shudder!
I get 22 m.p.g. as I cruise down the highway at 66 m.p.h. (with a few folks honking at me and the Canadians giving me the finger on I-15 now and then).
I hope this wonderful truck (the first Dodge I have ever owned!) lasts me the rest of my natural born days.
You would be surprised at how many country folks ask me if I want to sell it when I am out and about.
Other that 2 (two!) bullet impacts in the hood (short Varmint Hunting friends) and a radio that went tits up it is all original and kinda like new.
My friend has a 1994 Dodge Cummins diesel 4x4 pickup that has 380,000 miles on it and has been "totaled" twice in one car accidents - his engine, has also, NEVER had a wrench to it. And he has a standing offer from an Alaska fisherman to buy the engine from him when the frame falls off around that engine (due any day now!).
Somehow or for some reason the newest Dodge diesel engines/trucks have fallen in disfavor in my corner of the world (SW Montana) and folks are going very often with the Dura-Max pickup trucks - if I get a chance I will ask around a bit on the newer Ram diesels reputations.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you work a motor it burns fuel. If you make power, it burns fuel to do that. In this case we have to say fuel and not gas. It has little to do with the size of the engine.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"It is also common knowledge that Ram Trucks rejected the Cummins engine version when putting together a 1/2 diesel."

I know they rejected the Cummins V8. Was there a smaller diesel engine that they rejected? I doubt I'll ever buy another pickup but if I did I would consider a 1/2 ton Dodge with a Cummins V8 if it was available.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,996 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,481
Posts18,451,879
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.