24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Maybe the wrong thread but wanting options for a gunsmith to build off a browning xbolt action. My cousin wants a 26 nosler semi custom built and has an xbolt.
Nobody that I know of locally will build off the xbolt.
Do y’all know anybody that is reputable and will build on xbolt action?

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You may have a problem finding any smith that will build off a Browning bolt - they glue the action and bolt together and even pulling a barrel and re-installing it can be a nightmare for a smith. they often have to heat them in order to get them off.

I was a Browning guy, and ended up going to Sako because of this, but I’m happy because they shoot as good if not better than brownings.

If you are a 60 degree bolt guy consider sako or Weatherby for action builds and you won’t have any problems finding a smith to do the work.

At the end of the day Browning builds like they don’t want you to ever take the barrel off.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 07/15/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've never had an Xbolt but I have had three Abolts rebarreled for the same price as any other rifle and no Smith ever said a word about it being harder than anything else. I have heard the stainless actions will twist but I have never tried one, mine were always CM.

“Lighten up Francis”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve done it but there’s always a good chance the threads will strip off the barrel or out of the action when the barrel is pulled, seen it happen. As mentioned they have been known to use a pretty heavy duty thread locker between the barrel and action. That coupled with super fine threads can spell disaster, even more so with stainless.

Another thing to consider is the magazine. I know the Xbolt detachable mags are caliber specific and I don’t know if they chamber for the 26 Nosler or a similar dimensioned cartridge but if they don’t there may be feeding issues due to magazine dimensions.

Good luck

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had a smith a couple hours away do an abolt but since had the action threads strip out on another build. He said he would not do anymore browning

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
And you guys thought I was making this up. smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I did just ONE Browning - and one is quite enough..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nosler 48 Libertys are under 2K, list.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve done it but there’s always a good chance the threads will strip off the barrel or out of the action when the barrel is pulled, seen it happen. As mentioned they have been known to use a pretty heavy duty thread locker between the barrel and action. That coupled with super fine threads can spell disaster, even more so with stainless.

Another thing to consider is the magazine. I know the Xbolt detachable mags are caliber specific and I don’t know if they chamber for the 26 Nosler or a similar dimensioned cartridge but if they don’t there may be feeding issues due to magazine dimensions.

Good luck

I believe they are chambered in the 26 and 28 Nosler. I think there are better actions out there to customize. I would just sell the rifle.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I was coming back to say the obvious... but sell the rifle as is and build on another action just as Oldek said.

Redneck & I are both Gunsmiths BTW...

Last edited by Spotshooter; 07/16/20.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There has to be someone out there

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Call Bartlein

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am not in anyway suggesting this as a solution

I can tell you how I saw one removed by a buddy. He chop sawed thru the barrel at the recoil lug, drove a big ez out in the remaining barrel and put it in a vise and screwed it off with a little heat. Buddy said the guy who rebarreled it said that was a first for him. He has a 300 PRC on that action now.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
With all the Browning Deer Heads on pick up trucks around here I would think a Browning would be an easy sell

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You can check with Rick Steinhour (Extreme Rifle Works) , he rebarreled a SS LH Abolt for me in 2018 and did a great job. He is very aware of how difficult changing barrels on Browning’s are.

John
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Stainless on Stainless can be a problem on dis assembly as the slightest burr can and will cause gauling.

Concerning the 26 Nosler, you will need all the magazine length you can get, and this should be a major priority for anyone.

I had Pac Nor put a new SS barrel on my Browning A bolt stalker years ago. The gunsmith called me and warned me of the possibility of gauling when he started to unscrew the barrel. He said that if he felt the threads start to strip, he was going to put a 6' cheater bar on the action wrench and screw the whole thing back to gether best he could, and that he would not offer any guarantee or warranty on the disassembly. Fortunately for me, it all worked out.

Learned my lesson well on planning ahead on buying.

I had a Ruger gaul up on barrel dis assembly, wrecked the entire rifle.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We have done 3 in 11 years but never again. A-bolt and X-bolts are 32 threads per inch plus thread locker had us sweating bullets every time. First one took a month to get the barrel off just to fit a brake. It took that long to build a super high precision fit action wrench that wouldn't damage the engraving on it. Some have all plastic trigger assemblies and the rear bridge doesn't lend itself well to bedding support. I will mount a scope but beyond that they go down the road. If the barrel is 24" or longer we can still put a brake or thread for a can.

I personally consider them like a light bulb. Enjoy it for what it is as most are very nice looking rifles but like a light bulb they are not repairable or worth trying to modify. When it wears out it goes on the wall on in the garbage.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've done ONE....and that's the LAST one I'll ever do...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My brother sent an A-bolt directly to Pacnor several years ago and they installed a new barrel with no apparent problems. It shoots stupid little groups with almost anything he throws in the chamber.
Of course X-bolt and A-bolt are a little different.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
788 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 88 invisible), 3,150 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.