Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
My newest reloading manual has got to be getting close to 10 years old. I have several. Nosler, Speer, Sierra, Hodgdon.... Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are on the new manuals that are out right now; specifically which one you like best if you had to pick one. I know my Sierra manual came with a nice ballistic program for my computer. That was cool.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For a manual that is not bullet specific you might consider Lyman's 50th or Ken Waters Pet Loads. New manuals may feature newer powders and cartridges, if you're not looking to keep up with the latest and greatest I'd save my money for the two that I've suggested. Also there's quite a bit of loading info available on-line at N/C, try Accurate Reloading website for lots of good info.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're considering buying a new manual, spend some time figuring out which companies already publish their data online. No need to spend the coin on what is available for free.
I know that (at a minimum) Nosler, Alliant, Hodgdon/IMR, Barnes, Vihtavuori, Sierra (limited data) and Speer.
I recently bought a new manual - the Hornady #10. I liked it because it has a lot of data for PP 2000-MR.

Cheers,
Rex

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks, gents.
All good advice and info. I am interested in having a paper manual on hand that carries the new powders/cartridges. I know a lot of this stuff is available online. Having a ballistic program like what came with my Sierra is probably going to be my pick.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the new Nosler manual

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger

Yep, I bought that one along with the Hornady #10. All my others are pretty old. I think I would like to own the Sierra, even though I don't use their bullets much at all.
Rex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger

Me too. Nosler seem to be finally offering modern data for some of the old low pressure cartridges like 6.5x55 and 7x57. It also has data for the .257 AI.

Hornady is another good manual as it has data for a couple of cartridges that the others don't like 7x64 and 6.5x57.

They are the two I refer to the most as I tend to use Nosler and Hornady bullets the most.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I've referred to all of those at times except Speer's. Didn't know they had it, so just checked if they've added any heavier bullets to their 300 WSM loads. I have Speer #14 Manual and they don't list any loads above 180 gr bullets for the WSM. They don't have ANY 300 WSM load data online. They also don't have .308 Win or 30-06 data. Perhaps the online data is an ongoing project for them, but for now I'd say it leaves a lot to be desired.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't grab Hodgdon's "Annual Manual" every year, but usually every two or three years.

Useful, updated info. I like that they publish pressure figures as well as velocity.

Guy

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
I've referred to all of those at times except Speer's. Didn't know they had it, so just checked if they've added any heavier bullets to their 300 WSM loads. I have Speer #14 Manual and they don't list any loads above 180 gr bullets for the WSM. They don't have ANY 300 WSM load data online. They also don't have .308 Win or 30-06 data. Perhaps the online data is an ongoing project for them, but for now I'd say it leaves a lot to be desired.

I think you had better check that again. Samples.

https://reloading-data.speer-ammo.c..._308_dia/308_Winchester_Gold_Dot_168.pdf

https://reloading-data.speer-ammo.c...aliber_308_dia/30-06_Springfield_165.pdf

https://reloading-data.speer-ammo.c..._dia/300_Winchester_Short_Magnum_165.pdf

Swifty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

I think you had better check that again. Samples.

https://reloading-data.speer-ammo.c..._308_dia/308_Winchester_Gold_Dot_168.pdf

https://reloading-data.speer-ammo.c...aliber_308_dia/30-06_Springfield_165.pdf

https://reloading-data.speer-ammo.c..._dia/300_Winchester_Short_Magnum_165.pdf

Well I'll be darned. But not feeling bad about missing those. The first thing you see is a "cartridge select" drop down menu at the top of the page. So I opened the drop down menu and look what it shows:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Books are better than internet for me, but I use both. I've been using Nosler #8 & Sierra VI more than the rest lately.

I got a Speer #15, but dont really care for the new format & am unsure about the data due to some confusion in the write-ups. For example, who's brass & primer are used? I also didn't realize the 6.5 Rem. Mag. had over 13 gr. H2O more case capacity than 264 Win.Mag. There are other discrepancies as well. I usually double check, but if I doubt the source needing to triple check with other sources, might as well just use the other sources.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I ordered the Sierra. Probably end up getting a Nosler next time I get the itch for a new manual. Who knows when that will be.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Internet is ok for looking things up but I prefer the manuals just because it’s easy to browse and read about different cartridges. I’m still stuck in the 70s.

Nosler, Hornady, Lyman should be in the shelf. Speer is a good one also. Sierra is a major pain in the ass with the loose leaf pages.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Cascade
I don't grab Hodgdon's "Annual Manual" every year, but usually every two or three years.

Useful, updated info. I like that they publish pressure figures as well as velocity.

Guy

I buy their annual manual yearly. It lists Hogdon, IMR and Winchester powders.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The manual I use the most is the Lee Manual.I has more powders listed for caliber and bullet weights than any of my other manuals.It is compiled from other manuals,so it is like an all in one.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
On top of what's already been stated, I highly recommend the Hornady app. For $20/year you get access to the 10th edition, any info they've complied for the 11th edition, and when the 11th edition is printed you'll receive a free copy--that's a great deal of up-to-date info for only $20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.