Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
AI that sumbich and we'll talk....

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

HS, I did just that, spent a bunch, but in the end not sure it was worth it.... Shot well, was a little faster, but the 7x57 is 'just right' as it is.. IMHO.

If I end up with another '7' it will probably be a x57 NOT AI'd

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mike, have you tried working with Re17 yet? I get excellent accuracy and some really great velocity with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. I'm talkin' .50 to .75" groups and 2800 FPS+ for velocity. The same load does MOA and about 2760 FPS from a Ruger #1A. The only rifle I'm still having trouble with is the custom Mauser that has an extremely tight chamber.

I'll be doing some work with the Mauser once my doctor clears me for shooting. I have fired a single shot this year thanks to an accident in my truck where my chest got banged up a bit. I see him again next month and I'm gonna push it. I'll go shoot after that whether he OKs it or not.

The plan is to run some factory ammo from the M70 and the Mauser over the chronograph to see the actual difference. I did do a short run with what few 175 gr. Hornady RNs I had left, loaded to duplicate the original 1892/3 load. The Mauser ran roughly 150 FPS faster at 2450 FPS vs he 2320 FPS average between the M70 and Ruger #1. Still trying to figure that one out.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some people just can't leave well enough alone. laugh

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by roundoak
Have you tried Seafire's load of 40 grains IMR 3031? It has been shown to turn lousy shooters into accurate ones. PM him and get the scoop. Don't believe Cactus Jack would have kept a 7x57 around if it was not accurate. Surely, Eleanor would not have put up with a lousy shooter that killed the amount of game she did.

I haven't tried it but I'm going to when I can get my hands on a pound of it. Right now I have some 160-gr Match Kings loaded up in front of IMR4350 just to see how they do. The rifle in question is a M70 Featherweight - not the Ingwe Special - that shoots 175s into less than an inch, but that's not the bullet I want to use in this particular rifle (I have others for those). I'd rather use a lighter bullet in this rifle, but it scatters 140 and 150 grain Partitions, as well as 154-grain InterLocks. But if it'll shoot the 160s I'll be fine with that since I have a bunch of 160-gr Partitions, Hot-Cors, and Grand Slams.

I have a Featherweight 7x57 like yours and I used the 160 grain Sierra BT/Nosler Partition and the 140 grain Trophy Bonded Tipped in it with good results. Didn't seem all that hard to find an accurate load in it.

Thinking of trying IMR 4451 with the 160 grain Sierra for a deer/rabbit/antelope load.

Try Ramshot Hunter

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Mike, have you tried working with Re17 yet? Paul B.

I have not, but I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the suggestion. Hope you're on the mend.

Originally Posted by MagMarc
Try Ramshot Hunter

I've used it and Big Game. Neither would do squat with the 140-gr Partitions, although the rifle shoots heavies really well with Hunter.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A 7mm round at said speeds is truly a ballistic sweet spot ... coupled with a recoil sweet spot. With short action options. What's not to like?

Sheesh, EVERYTHING can't be a 6.5 Creed ...

[sound of umbrella opening]

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I this day and age,I'd go 284 Kreedmire,over BR.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

"I haven't made any very long shots with the 7×57, but I try to avoid long shots with any rifle. Most game is killed at 200 yards or less, but many of these kills get stretched out when they are processed through a typewriter."

Love this guy.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is not so, that the .270 Win. and the .30-06 are not just so.
As are the 7mm-08 and the .308 Win. so so.
Now, while the 8x57 is being more so, it is just so,
that the 7x57 Mauser is just so much more, just so.

Thank you for the article.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rev Mike my buddies's 1A didn't like anything either till I handed him a box of Super x 175 gr RN's. My 1st year production m77r has the same long throat the 154 hornady rn works well also. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Muffin

HS, I did just that, spent a bunch, but in the end not sure it was worth it.... Shot well, was a little faster, but the 7x57 is 'just right' as it is.. IMHO.

If I end up with another '7' it will probably be a x57 NOT AI'd

I've seen you mention that AI'd 7x57. I'll admit I'm jealous. I don't know if I understand what you mean by "just right". I believe in certain velocities for certain bullets at certain ranges, I believe in reamer specs that give the bullet a good head start, and I believe in case efficiency relative to bore size. In my estimation, the 7x57 AI with the right reamer specs covers those bases pretty well. I should add that I'm not a fan of case taper. It means I'll have to lose time and brass through trimming, and I just don't have time for that anymore. An AI'd Mauser case in a standard-length action with a minimum but long throat so that long bullets are in the neck rather than in the case, and that comes pretty close to Western hunting perfection, given today's affordable bullet, optic, and LRF tech.

To each his own though. If I lived in Florida, I'd likely agree that screwing around with an AI just isn't required. I did live in Florida for a short time in my 20's and what I saw for possible hunting didn't require anything special in regard to cases, bullets, optics, or range finders.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Mike, have you tried working with Re17 yet? Paul B.

I have not, but I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the suggestion. Hope you're on the mend.

Originally Posted by MagMarc
Try Ramshot Hunter

I've used it and Big Game. Neither would do squat with the 140-gr Partitions, although the rifle shoots heavies really well with Hunter.

I figure I've been healed up for at least two, maybe three months. Sternum cracked in four places and breathing hasn't hurt for months.

I have two pressure series loaded up for the 7x57 and I'm anxious to run them over the Chrony. Then there is the test to compare factory in the Mauser vs the M70 to get an idea about figuring out the problem with the Mauser. It's too late now to even try to book an elk hunt but I'll cal the outfitter after I get to shooting again and see if he has any last minute cancellations. Who know? I just might get lucky.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Rev Mike my buddies's 1A didn't like anything either till I handed him a box of Super x 175 gr RN's. My 1st year production m77r has the same long throat the 154 hornady rn works well also. MB

The 175-gr RN is one of the bullets this particular rifle actually likes.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
Have you tried Seafire's load of 40 grains IMR 3031? It has been shown to turn lousy shooters into accurate ones. PM him and get the scoop. Don't believe Cactus Jack would have kept a 7x57 around if it was not accurate. Surely, Eleanor would not have put up with a lousy shooter that killed the amount of game she did.

I haven't tried it but I'm going to when I can get my hands on a pound of it. Right now I have some 160-gr Match Kings loaded up in front of IMR4350 just to see how they do. The rifle in question is a M70 Featherweight - not the Ingwe Special - that shoots 175s into less than an inch, but that's not the bullet I want to use in this particular rifle (I have others for those). I'd rather use a lighter bullet in this rifle, but it scatters 140 and 150 grain Partitions, as well as 154-grain InterLocks. But if it'll shoot the 160s I'll be fine with that since I have a bunch of 160-gr Partitions, Hot-Cors, and Grand Slams.

I haven’t had much luck getting 140 partitions, 139 or 154 interlocks to do well in 7 anything. This is difficult for me because interlocks shoot great for me in everything else and usually what I reach for. When I want lighter in 7mm, the Speer 145 hotcor has been a consistent standout in 7x57, 7-08 and a couple of 280’s. The 150 and 160 partition do good as well for me. I’ve pretty much settled on 145 hotcor for deer, 160 partition for bigger stuff when needed. Do have an itch to try 145 LRX’s though. Going to wait until I see how the 129 LRX does on game in my 270 first.

Last edited by TomM1; 07/16/20.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mike check the throat length and adj your seating to work, works for me. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Always a great read!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
40 years and still the little guy !

When will it grow up ? whistle

laugh laugh

Just joking, couldn't help it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
It is all grown up,it's just a welter weight that hits like a heavy weight. wink grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Mike check the throat length and adj your seating to work, works for me. MB

That's pretty much the procedure I'm going to follow. I have some four-round lots loaded with I4350 and the Tipped Match Kings in .5 grain increments. They're loaded .10 off the lands. Once I find out which is the most promising I'll start reducing the CBTO length. We will see what happens. The thought has gone through my head that as a last resort I'd send it to Hill for a complete make-over, but I can't bring myself to justify spending $1700 to do it.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,103
Posts18,464,194
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.