Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's funny Magnum Bob, I also heard the poor 50-90 was an ugly cartridge too, and damn right, no one has to tell you when they go off, that above pictured bullet in the middle was handed to me from the skinners from the left shoulder of a 60 yard 1800 lb bedded Eland bull, bullet went in at right ham, that's 8 or 9 feet of penetration, so much for a 50 'not' penetration. crazy

Yes you do Slim Jim, hope you have a very good crop, you may PM cas6969 and see how much he likes his 50.

Trump Won!
BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Welp, alright pacecars, I got my hunting weight 50-90 out of the safe yesterday evening, with a cartridge in the chamber it weighs 11lbs 4 ounces, the 750gr grease groove bullet crossed the chrono at 1372 fps from the 22 twist 30 inch #1 heavy barrel over 120gr OE 2FG, it's a hellbender of a load and the same one pictured above.

I hadn't hunted/shot it in a while and needed to confirm sight holds, 1, 2, and 300 yard setting were on, it literally knocked the crap out of the steel gongs, I had never set a 400 yard sight correlation mark for that rifle on my ladder barrel sight, that found and done, I went up and re-painted the 400 yard gong, three shots went into 12 inches at 400 yards with full buckhorn barrel and sharpsguy copper penny front sight.

Try as I might, I simply cant shoot that rifle any more accurately, 'recoil' does indeed come to mind when you're breaking that last ounce on the set trigger, that said, 12 inches at 400 yards is a pile of dead buffalo, elk, moose, any bear, and all of the large plains game animals in Africa, a cape buffalo at 25 yards wont buck that load, all in all, i'll have to take it, this falls tests will be to see if the Big 50 can put small [deer/pigs] game down as quickly as my 40 and 45 cal Sharps rifles, and they do it more than fast.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I am thinking my Business Rifle might be a tad lighter! Most of its life will be spent sending deer and pigs to the happy hunting ground and shouldn't take balls to the walls loads but then again what is the fun in a "Big 50" that doesn't get to go big? Should be a grand ol' time either way!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This is just a question about what rifle format would be the most feasible afield carrying it thru bush and tough country. Would a 50-90 in a Sharps hunting sharps hunter/carbine format or Hi wall format be a better hunting rifle than a big heavy barrel Sharps?

I understand the recoil part of the equation, but at what point does mobility and actual handling when afield trump the heavier easier to fire heavy rifles? I ask this because mostly one shot will be plenty, and you might need to shoot perhaps twice maybe three times but when hunting but that would be rare. This at least has been my experience with elk size game using a ruger no1 416 Rigby. I suspect a sharps rifle or hi wall would be similiar.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I prefer to deal with a little more recoil for the benefit of a lighter gun when hunting where I will be carrying it a lot and shooting a few times. You pay for it when sighting it in and practice but it ain’t a prairie dog gun. If I were a professional Buffalo hunter I would definitely want a 16 lb barrel for those long string of shots. I tried toting a 14 lb .44-77 and it gets a little heavy for my kind of hunting

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by pacecars
I am thinking my Business Rifle might be a tad lighter! Most of its life will be spent sending deer and pigs to the happy hunting ground and shouldn't take balls to the walls loads but then again what is the fun in a "Big 50" that doesn't get to go big? Should be a grand ol' time either way!

Hoping your rifle will be near 12lbs pacecars, I like that for a hunting weight rifle.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gunner500

Hoping your rifle will be near 12lbs pacecars, I like that for a hunting weight rifle.

That would be a good weight

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, all that said, my Shiloh #3 Sporter in 45-70 with 30 inch standard weight barrel weighs a scant 9.5 lbs, talk about a pleasure to carry and hunt with, it's a little sweetheart.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hello Big Jim, above is one reason, the other reasons are many, I was told:

You don't need a 50-90...........it's always nice when others tell you what you do and do not need.
The same set of others don't want you to like what they don't like.
Others don't like a rifle they cant shoot well.
Went on to hear, the 50-90.......
Has crap brass
Uses to much lead and powder.
You cant shoot it accurately due to recoil and torque.
The 50-90 wont penetrate.
Others with deeper pockets than you have tried to get a 50-90 to work well and have failed miserably, then sold their rifles.

Well, you see, I took all that as a challenge, I couldn't help but jump on a 50-90 with both boots.
Doing a bit of math as it relates to velocity, diameter, bullet weight and twist, I drew out and designed the above 750gr grease groove bullet and sent it in to have a custom mould made.

That bullet at 16 to 1 alloy went near 9 feet into a bedded 1800 lb Eland bull, my PH said NO other expanding bullet from any sporting arm would have penetrated that far, and penetrated straight I might add.

So I have moved a mountain of negative BS along the way with some help from a few others to have two really good 50-90's, one for hunting, and one for target [gong] shooting, I'm hooked on the Big 50-90 for life, it's a hell of a cartridge. smile

You need one too ; ]

Gunner I don't stop here to often so I been catching up reading.

I will never say what you put down above about the 2.5 big .50. Most negatives come from parrot lips that don't have and shoot a .50 I'm 80 years old and I still shoot Calamity with out blinking an eye with 118 gr 2F OE topped with a 715 gr creedmoor bullet and it will still hold the 200 SR X ring smile

Kurt

Last edited by Kurt71; 07/16/20.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
[Linked Image]

I don't hunt with my .50 there is nothing big enough around here for it I took three Bisons one with the .44-90 bn sharps and the other two with a .44-77 and they were 1, and two shot kills and never recovered a bullet. Top rifle is my hunting rifle.

Never have figured out how to post a large enough picture here.

Last edited by Kurt71; 07/16/20.
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Lets try this way.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Version 2 by .com/photos/leadpot/]Kurt, on [bleep]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beautiful rifle Kurt!

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Damn enablers......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Damn enablers......

Man, that is a fact!

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Y’all quit bellyaching and place an order. You only live once.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn good stuff Kurt, been wondering where you've been, and yes, yourself and one other are the only one's that ever had anything positive to say about the Big 50, your rec of me setting my mould to throw a 1.5 inch 715gr paper patch bullet turned out to be true, my no match shooting self was able to fire 6 rounds into 10 inches at 700 yards, the rifle and load is capable of much better.

The challenge has been made and excepted, I will try and see if my 50 puts deer and pigs down as quick as my 40 and 45 cal Sharps rifles do, it will be a fun fall of hunting, a 750gr flat nosed bullet leaving at 1365 fps will NOT be recovered and will hit those game animals like a freight train loaded with pig iron, they wont go far, if anywhere.

Beautiful rifle Sir, Thanks for posting. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

BWAHAHAHA, Dan speaks the truth men, all it takes is a cell phone and flexing a little plastic! grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

BWAHAHAHA, Dan speaks the truth men, all it takes is a cell phone and flexing a little plastic! grin

Man, you ain't helping nothing at all Gunner!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

Man, you ain't helping nothing at all Gunner!

Yo Welcome Big Buddy, it remains my pleasure! grin

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
You know gunner the only thing better than picking up the phone and flexing the plastic is getting the call that it is done and awaiting you. If you ask to be notified by phone they will. Then you pack some clothes,cleaning gear and your initial test ammo. Drive to Big Timber is absolutely one of the most glorious trips to take. You pickup your rifle and accessories head up the mtn to BLM land where all the locals shoot and try her out. Clean the gun when done,head into town for a Big steak at the hotel and a room and back home the following day. Well it is a 1 day each way drive for me but I think it takes Kurt 2 days each way. It is definetely a highlite in a Shiloh owners life. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.