Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
:)Ditto WRT everything that's been said. I have every book he wrote and Peter was a very talented writer. Damn few, if any, IMO are better. He had a way with words that was different than T.R. whose style was different

Peter's videos were a surprise to me. After reading his books it was a bit different to see what I had imagined. Suggest trying his videos nonetheless. Not quite up to his books which were his true medium.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is something intimate about being the reader of a good writer. They may not know it but you come to know them through their stories, through their perceptions of men and life. It's as if you are looking into the window of their home and watching them live.
Nicest of all is when you've come to admire a man through his work and you find out he was good to others.

George

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I don't care if there isn't a shred of truth in his books. I think there is a lot, but I can tell you this, I was rivetted to the page after the first three sentences. It takes a good writer to do that to me. Capstick did it! Sorry to hear he is gone.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Think what you like. Glad you liked the book since I condidered him a friend. However.....

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My favorite story may be the one about the bwana blowing up the crapper when the mamba was using it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
toltecgriz,

I did not know the man, but something inside me wishes I did. I am not trying to take a stab at you in any way, or trying to defend Peter Capstick. But,, you have dropped two "however's...." in this post and I was wondering if you would fill us all in on what that means? If his stories were polished or even made up as many have reported, I can live with that, as all of us have done the same at some time or another. If he liked the "drink" a little too much I can live with that as well, as I have been known to tip a few more than needed. As Jorge stated earlier in this thread, PHC is the reason I have made the trip to the dark continent twice, and God willing many more times in my life. I guess all I'm asking is what does "however....." mean??

Mike

Last edited by BOWHUNR; 06/27/07.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've read all his books at one time or another and have seen all his videos too until I gave them away here on the 'fire. Writing is different from being filmed. It's hard to hide in front of a camera - of course prof actors do it all the time - but to me PHC came off as humble, knowledgeable, and a person well met.

George

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
My favorite story may be the one about the bwana blowing up the crapper when the mamba was using it.

I recall that was from his short story published in the American Hunter "Mamba Means Death". PHC was the sole reason I read The American Hunter for several years.

I often think PHC was a bit misunderstood by PH's and the public alike. I had the pleasure of his acquaintance and never found him to be braggadocios or to inflate claims of his skill. He did start his African training pretty much from scratch with the help of Geoff Broom, who I believe lent him the use of the man who became Capstick's mentor in the bush, Silent. Peter did learn about the bush, animals, and African bush culture. His time working for Game Control in Zambia gave him total immersion, if you will.

Peter, in my mind, only claimed to have the "bug" for Africa. Many of us have the same bug. PHC got to live out the life of a PH, and write about it. That was his goal when he started. I never got the impression that he was claiming to be the all knowing Oracle on the Hill. He was an American who dreamed of Africa, and passed on what he learned. Sure, he spiced it up, but that makes for good reading. I truly believe that the Renaissance in the Safari Industry that took place in the '80's and 90's was fueled by Peter's writings. How many of us read "Death in the Long Grass", and yearned for Africa? I certainly did. I found that even a few hardcore African PH's would dismiss PHC as a PH. but add "He's a bloody good storyteller!"

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by hatari

I truly believe that the Renaissance in the Safari Industry that took place in the '80's and 90's was fueled by Peter's writings. How many of us read "Death in the Long Grass", and yearned for Africa? I certainly did. I found that even a few hardcore African PH's would dismiss PHC as a PH. but add "He's a bloody good storyteller!"

You can count me among the believers that Peter's writings in the 70s definitely kicked the African revival into high gear. I flew up to Reno to meet him at SCI, unfortunately it was the day after he took sick.

He definitely could write.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Never intended to start a controversial thread with this one. Just to say, I am enjoying his books.

Nuff said. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I will have to be included in the number of PHC fans. I enjoyed his work as much as any author I have ever read. Last try to go to Africa got snuffed by health problems but sooner or later I will get there and PHC is one of the reasons. reflex264

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I didn't mean to be obtuse and didn't think I was. I didn't want to go into details again beyond what I've said previously. I was just saying there's more to the story than there appears That said, many of the stories he related in Death in the Long Grass did not happen as told by him. At the time I was with him, he was a nice guy and didn't drink that much. He was a decent camp companion, but I'm thankful he wasn't my PH.

He was a good story teller.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
He was a good story teller.

Even before internet forums made a lot of us good story tellers. grin

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RIP, PHC.....

For me, he lit the fires...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mikah416Rigby and Jorge1,
Not interested in taking this over the top,but for the record,I'm not much given to inventing stuff or going out of my way to put an undue spin on what I add to this sight or anything else.
I would guess that Bowhunr verifies the connection to the Hathaway Shirt Company.As far as the Evans is concerned,I knew of the family connections,and also some connection to Paterson Rod and Gun and it's opperators.You will note that I made no specific claim to it's previous ownership.Certainly the Salvatos never indicated a pedigree for that rifle.
However knowing of that connection,and the fact that when I was holding the rifle in my hands I was standing only 2-300 yds. from the Hathaway Outlet Store was quite an experience.If I could have figured out a way to swing the necessary lucre,I would have purchased that particular rifle with or without provenance leading back to PHC.It was the only Evans in any caliber I have ever seen,let alone shouldered and squeezed a trigger on.If I remember correctly,it was late 1996 or early 1997 and the asking price was $7800.00.It was on display there for several months after the new ownership took over the business and I visited it two or three times at least,until the business was moved again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea, we all form perceptions of what a person looks like and is from his writing or what ever public thing he does even scribbling on the internet. Yet, individual perceptions are not always accurate-we may be disappointed; still, that doesn't take away from whatever they did that endeared them to us in the first place.

George

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No problem, Steve, I just wanted you to know Capstick's Evans was indeed stolen. I don't know anything about the shirt company issue. On a separate note, I hope your first safari will be everything you hope it to be. What outfit will you be hunting with? jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jorge,
As I said,just wanted to set the record straight.
Will be chasing Buffalo in L5 (I think I got that right) of the Selous in Tanzania with Dingwalls Safaris.Mohammed (Charles)Horsely is the PH we'll be working with directly,Gary Hopkins is the ramrod of the outfit for this deal.They both come highly recommended.
There are two Buff on the license,which we will split.Several plains game on the license as well.I'm concentrating simply on the Buff.Not sure it's efficaceous for me to spend all that extra money on the other species at this time.Besides,I need to save something to fuel my daydreams about the next time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like fun. If I were you I'd beg, borrow for the trophy fees for the extra animals. It's just me, but if I'm spending that kind of cash to go 8 thousand miles, just one animals seems false economy. Are you on a 10 day hunt? if you are, then I bleive you can take a warthog, impala, Nyasa Widebeest (in my view the best of that species) and a zebra. Hopefully you will also be able to share the Air Charter fees as they are very high in Tanzania. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,139
Posts18,464,805
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.