Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jorge,
The contract lists 2 Wildebeest,1 Hartebeest,1 Impala,1 Zebra,and 1Warthog.
The air charter is included in the package.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's great! go for it, you won't regret it! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jorge,
To paraphrase a popular bumpersticker,even a bad day on Safari is likely to beat the bejabbers out of anything else.
So far this is shaping up to be a series of very good days.
Credit where credit is due,MoccasinJoe set most of this up.
So far he seems to have gotten everything right.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
steve
Do everything you can to make sure you do everyting you can while you are there. You never know. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hope you have a great time. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you one and all.

Now to get back to the original thread.Where we are going is essentially the same area Ruark hunted in Horn of The Hunter.Which of Capstick's books,and which of Ruark's would you take to read on the plane/layover in the airports.....or would you take something else?Which ones,and why ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Capstick:

Death in the Long Grass
Death in the Dark Continent
Safari
Last Horizons

Ruark:
Horn of the Hunter (Never gets old)
Old Man and the Boy + Grows Older
Something of Value

John Burger:
Horned Death

John Kingsley-Heath
Hunting the dangerous Game of Africa

I've got others once you finish those!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve - have you read "Someone of Value?" It's a good look at Ruark. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I liked Ruark's "The Honey Badger," but I may be the only one.

The early Wilber Smiths read well. I think that's the correct name. They were pretty popular with the PHs who read at the time.

Hunter by J.A. Hunter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Terry Wieland's "A View From a Tall Hill" is a fascinating bio of Ruark along with pretty good literary and political history of those parts of Africa touched by Bob. Very interesting.

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Teddy Rooseveldt's AFRICAN GAME TRAILS is good and interesting too. A little different style but based on this three month safari with his son circa 1918 after his presidency. It cost ~90k at the time. Can you imagine now?

He got a lot of mileage out of the 'ol '06 and the 405

George

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've read many of these suggested books,though most quite awhile ago.Somewhere,still packed after I moved to my present house ,are copies of all of both Capstick's and Ruark's books.
I'm rereading The Horn of The Hunter right now.Your suggestions are all good,and sooner or later I hope to visit or revisit all of them.
Right now ,I'm looking for that one special book to really get my juices flowing (like they're not already) and perhaps either give me some new info.,or remind me of useful things that have slipped to the inner recesses of my so called mind.There are few experiences in life more annoying than coming up with the wrong solution to a problem,then afterward having that little neon light going off in the darkness flashing "I knew that !!!!".
Mostly,I suppose,I'm looking for all of the above in a package that will keep me entertained during the long flight and plane change,possible (probable ?)delays etc. on the trip out.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
PHC was the absolute best hunting storyteller ever IMHO.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
All this talk about African hunting literature has forced me to order Ruark's "The Horn of the Hunter" and Hemingway's "The Green Hills of Africa". "Hemingway on Hunting" has numerous excerpts from the book but thought it was time to buy the complete work. I've read plenty of Capstick and enjoy it immensely.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I envy you your first read of Horn of the Hunter! Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Steve - have you read "Someone of Value?" It's a good look at Ruark. Best, John

On someones recommendation here I found a pristine copy online for about $35. HIGHLY recommended from me. A really good look behind the curtain. Pretty depressing too the way he self destructed early.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I cannot pass up the oppurtunity to pay tribute to Peter Capstick. As a boy, I read every article he contributed to Peterson's Hunting magazine. I Remember his articles in that magazine about the African Crocodiles, leopard and lions. His statistics on how many people were killed by them each year that the various African government's didn't want anyone to know about. His ability to explain the non-sense of the Anti-hunting
crowd, well it was eloquince. He put into words there what we all thought.
Even my mother (who hated hunting) became hooked on his articles when as a boy I got her to read one. If I brought her one of his articles from then on she would read it.

Today, as a grown man I now own a number of his books and have always dreamed of hunting in Africa, due to a large part from his writing. Of course, various writers such as J.A. Hunter, Evan Marshall,Hemingway and Rourke had a lot to do with that too. May they all rest in peace.

Finally, For those of you who can afford the costs of an African hunt, my hats off to you. Good Hunting Gentlemen!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Slide-

Well put. My wife who is a non-hunter and the only thing she knows about guns & rifles is I have 'em became enamored too.

George

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think Peter revived a dieing Africa with his books, The Safari business was on its last legs when he came on the scene, and the Safari business exploded.

As someone said his bonifide has often been questioned, but you will find that true of anyone who has had a modicom of success, and Peter is no exception to that rule. A jealous public filled with wannabes is the "unbonifider" of most famous people, most gunwritters and many fine PHs have suffered this delima..much the shame.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Were you there when we had to go find him in the middle of the night because he got lost.?
Were you there when we found his high-centered Land Rover that the elephants never touched?
Were you there when we loaned him our best tracker and the first thing he did was load the little guy down with a bandolier of 75 .375 cartridges that he had to carry every day?
Were you there when they moved him out of his area because his clients had wounded thirteen lions and he wouldn't follow any of them up?
Don't get me started.

He was a good storyteller, however.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

587 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.