Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
I don't know whether he really did all the things he wrote. Frankly, I don't care. He transported me as a young farm kid to places I'd never be and allowed me to accompany him on adventures I'd never do in real life. I may have been cutting weeds out of beans or attending school during the day; but at night... At night, I'd be listening to hyenas, elephants, and lions.

He and Patrick F. McManus made this kid's world bigger, more exciting, and infinitely more enjoyable.

I thank them both for that.

Great post. Thanks for capturing my thoughts better than I could have.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cluggins
I don't know whether he really did all the things he wrote. Frankly, I don't care. He transported me as a young farm kid to places I'd never be and allowed me to accompany him on adventures I'd never do in real life. I may have been cutting weeds out of beans or attending school during the day; but at night... At night, I'd be listening to hyenas, elephants, and lions.

He and Patrick F. McManus made this kid's world bigger, more exciting, and infinitely more enjoyable.

I second that.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I second that.

He was a great writer and story teller, who just happened to be a PH.

Writing, evidently, was his big talent, shining brighter than his PH career.

But, he entertained millions with his books and stories.

What's not to like.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
This comes up every year or so. Here is a copy of the eulogy written by Tink Nathan (of Tinks 69 fame). I'm sure many of you have seen it but for those who have not, enjoy.

Mike

As I Remember Capstick
By Tink Nathan

Peter was a giant of a man, with a heart as big as Africa, yet strong and straight as a new arrow. A man who turned his back on fortune, the family Hathaway shirt business, and went of into the jungles of Viet Nam to fight in freedoms name as a green beret officer, an American special forces soldier, and to Africa to fulfill a child�

Tink Nathan, Professional Hunter, Outfitter
9930 Hughes Ave.
Laurel, MD 20723-1744
Telephone 301-369-3096
E-mail tinkbowhuntingsafaris.com

Tink, I have read most of Capsticks books and articles going back to the time he says he guided in South America and don't ever rememberi him mentioning his being a Green Beret officer in Vietnam ? As a Vietnam vet I am interested in hearing his stories on that part of his life.
You knew him during that time, what can you share with us? Where and when did he serve ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't remember Peter ever claiming such experience in print.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bluefish
What a shocking, horrible mess he left his wife to find after being awoken to the roar of a shotgun in the house. Poor woman.

I was given to understand that he died shortly after surgery because of some sort of complications. Your post seems to imply he committed suicide. I'm open to the possibility of my having been misinformed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bluefish
What a shocking, horrible mess he left his wife to find after being awoken to the roar of a shotgun in the house. Poor woman.

WHAT THE F UCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????
Peter died of a blood clot as a result of open heart surgery . Ernest Hemingway comes to mind regarding your comment...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hemingway of course. Check the thread. Clearly I am speaking of EH. PHC died on the table if memory serves.

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Don't know if this is the right place to mention this, but here goes. . . .

My girls bought me two of his books for fathers' day. Have nearly finished reading "Death in the Long Grass." It is giving me a huge appreciation for the Professional Hunter and the awesomeness of African hunting.

All I can say is, "WOW!"

I read Death in the Long Grass in my early teens. After reading it, I quickly cut a swath through the rest of his prose like a lawnmower cutting through, well, short grass.

I loved hunting and his writing was lively. It still is.

When I was in Agricultural & Mechanical school, my dad called and asked if I wanted to meet in Dallas and go to the DSC convention. I quickly said yes.

The DSC convention was a much smaller affair then. We walked around it and wandered into a small room with high end rifles. I mean really expensive rifles. I knew nothing about double rifles but saw one that looked tasteful and appealed to me. I picked it up, then turned over the price tag that was hanging from the trigger guard. It read "$150,000" (and that was before inflation, back when $150K would buy you something more than, say, a fuqking cheesburger). I set the rifle down carefully, and I looked around the room.

Peter Capstick was one isle over with an entourage. He looked like his the press photos inside the dust cover of his books. He was tan and dressed in a "safari" shirt with built in cartridge loops, his hair was slicked back and he had on a elephant hair bracelet.

I walked over, stuck out my my hand and told him I was a fan of his writing. He seemed surprised and he was quite drunk. It was well before noon.

Maybe was "on vacation" that day.

And perhaps he had a bunch of clients in a row who really couldn't shoot. (Hey, I've worked as a guide and have seen some terrible shots.) Or maybe he wasn't a great guide and just wanted to party as toltecgriz implies; I don't know.

None of that shades his gifts as a writer. He was a fantastic story teller, but I personally doubt he was a great hunter.

Maybe he was when he was younger, before the booze took over. It's possible.

Last edited by TexasPhotog; 12/16/21.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
What the hell, who hasn’t gotten lit before noon?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

You say that like it’s a good thing.

Not passing any judgment but it would seem to be less than productive. At any rate he lived an exciting life and could write. Come to think of it the same formula worked for Hemingway too. Take the good with the bad I reckon.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What's the source of information that PHC wasn't a good PH? I've watched several of his videos and nothing in them would suggest he would be less than a very good PH.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CZ550
What's the source of information that PHC wasn't a good PH? I've watched several of his videos and nothing in them would suggest he would be less than a very good PH.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Well, this will add another few pages to be sure....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Well, this will add another few pages to be sure....

For sure.... wink

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Toltecgriz on this site shared a camp with PHC and has reported that some of the events that PHC wrote about didn't happen the way that PHC claimed.

Toltecgriz is the only person who I recall posting on this site about actually hunting out of the same camp that PHC was present in. If anyone else did, I don't recall seeing their posts.

PHC was a good story teller, but I did find it a bit disappointing to read on this site the differences between what PHC wrote and what Toltecgriz observed.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Toltecgriz on this site shared a camp with PHC and has reported that some of the events that PHC wrote about didn't happen the way that PHC claimed.

Toltecgriz is the only person who I recall posting on this site about actually hunting out of the same camp that PHC was present in. If anyone else did, I don't recall seeing their posts.

PHC was a good story teller, but I did find it a bit disappointing to read on this site the differences between what PHC wrote and what Toltecgriz observed.

How many hunts did he share with PHC. One hunt doesn't make a career

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

How many hunts did he share with PHC. One hunt doesn't make a career

No idea, but Toltecgriz is the only eye-witness account that I've read anywhere. I don't think that anyone has said that PHC didn't take artistic license to make a story more interesting.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 12/17/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If someone wants to write a novel that's entertaining then that's fine...you know its fiction. What annoys me is not knowing what is fiction and what is truth when someone writes about hunting adventures. A book loses its entertainment value for me when the author is prone to exaggerate or sensationalize just about every event. I know that is not the case with everyone, some don't mind fiction if it is well written, so long as they get entertained.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Remember, you can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Remember, you can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning.

P

Now that’s logical.

Ha!

DF

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

589 members (10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,796
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.