Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Don't know if this is the right place to mention this, but here goes. . . .

My girls bought me two of his books for fathers' day. Have nearly finished reading "Death in the Long Grass." It is giving me a huge appreciation for the Professional Hunter and the awesomeness of African hunting.

All I can say is, "WOW!"

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I enjoyed him very much.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have read several of his books and enjoyed them all. He could really tell a story in an entertaining way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stole the same book from a good friend and have really enjoyed reading it. ALL of it!

Some say he had a real wild imagination but he sure is fun to read.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you are enjoying PHC's work. As was mentioned, his bona fides are questioned by many, but if a person just accepts his work as literature, it is very entertaining. I do feel that his early work is his best, but would encourage you to read all that you can get ahold of and judge for yourself. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I own copies of all his books,used to read all his magazine articles.Some say he was very imaginitive in his writing,all I know for sure is that everything I read of his left me wishing there was more.My desire to hunt in general,and especially to hunt in Africa was definately kindled by Robert Ruarke.Peter Hathaway Capstick,who grew up and learned to hunt and fish in the area I live in now,kept that desire burning.I'm leaving for Africa in 34 days.....but who's counting.
Capstick's mother's family owned (may still for all I know) the Hathaway Shirt Company,and their family was very close with the Salvato family who owned and ran Paterson Rod and Gun for many years.Joan Salvato was the world distance fly casting champion for many years and was the wife of Lee Wulff of American Sportsman fame.
The Salvato's ran one of the finest hunting and fishing stores I've ever seen.They always had an extensive inventory of fine "pre-owned" firearms for sale.Shortly after Peter Hathaway Capstick passed away,and shortly before the Salvatos retired and sold the business,they had a worn but obviously well cared for Evans double rifle in .470NE for sale.I couldn't afford it anyway,but didn't make the connection until several months after the shop was moved by the new owners.I handled that rifle several times,but had to be very careful not to drool all over it.If I had made the connection,I might have moved heavan and earth to acquire it.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
pretty much agree, death in the long grass is an amazing book!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for bringing this up I just dug out my copy of Death in the Silent Places. I always enjoyed Capstick but haven't read any of his stuff for some time. Couldn't find Death in the Long Grass, hope someone didn't borrow it. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I was there when most of the stuff mentioned in Death in the Long Grass occurred.

Capstick's version is very interesting and entertaining. However........

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting connections Steve. Thanks for the info.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've read the whole series and whatever some may say about "dramatic license", I enjoyed his books very much. In fact one of my favorites and one my non-hunting wife couldn't put down was the LAST ELEPHANT HUNTER IIRC. Very interesting.

Gdv

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Glad you are enjoying PHC's work. As was mentioned, his bona fides are questioned by many, but if a person just accepts his work as literature, it is very entertaining.

That is the impression that I got. I have really enjoyed his work.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had a chance to meet him and talk to him extensively in the 80's and even if he did not do all he wrote about, it is still very entertaining as was he when I spoke to him....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by steve1
Shortly after Peter Hathaway Capstick passed away,and shortly before the Salvatos retired and sold the business,they had a worn but obviously well cared for Evans double rifle in .470NE for sale.I couldn't afford it anyway,but didn't make the connection until several months after the shop was moved by the new owners.I handled that rifle several times,but had to be very careful not to drool all over it.If I had made the connection,I might have moved heavan and earth to acquire it.

Must have been a different rifle. Capstick's 470 was stolen from his home in Naples in the early 80s before he moved to RSA along with one of his prized shotguns he used in africa. He even makes mention of that fact in one of his books as well as one of the videos he did with Ken Wilson. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The Hathaway Shirt Company has been shut down for several years now. I personally don't recall P.H.C. ever making any reference to his family owning the company or having any connection to it.

May the best days of your past be the worst days of your future.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This comes up every year or so. Here is a copy of the eulogy written by Tink Nathan (of Tinks 69 fame). I'm sure many of you have seen it but for those who have not, enjoy.

Mike

As I Remember Capstick
By Tink Nathan

Peter Hathaway Capstick died in Pretoria, South Africa just before midnight on March 13th 1996 from a thrombosis following cardiac triple by-pass surgery. At his request, only his wife Fiona and her sister attended a private cremation ceremony. Fiona scattered Peter�s ashes over the Chobe River in Botswana with elephants and a herd of Cape buffalo in attendance. Peter will now remain a part of the land he loved so much.

Peter was 56.

I first hunted with Peter in the mid 1960�s when he was a student at the University of Virginia. We hunted groundhogs in the springtime between Remington and Scottsville Virginia. I was privileged to meet Peter again, in about 1976 or 1977 when he came up to me at a sporting goods show in Houston, Texas, and introduced himself to me. I had heard of Peter Capstick, and learned his last name for the first time. I had always called him Chapstick, and he never corrected me. He told me he was one of my readers, as I was a contributing editor of Bowhunter Magazine at the time, and he told me he enjoyed bowhunting. We managed to spend some time together and managed to down a few Pearl beers over some enchiladas.

Peter told me of his amazing life, and we kept in touch. It turns out Peter and I had hunted groundhogs in Virginia ten years before. I saw Peter at some outdoor shows and SCI conventions over the years and started communicating with him when I made plans to move to South Africa.

Peter always had time for my calls, and his sage advice was welcome and dead right on target. I guess the best advice he gave me was not to come over to Africa, which I ignored, and came over anyway. Not too many people knew that Peter did some bowhunting in New Jersey, and I think he told me he once nailed a whitetail, sometime in the 1960�s.

Peter attended the University of Virginia, at Charlottesville, and it seems our paths crossed once or twice at Clarks Gun Shop in Remington, Virginia where we rifle hunted groundhogs, and where we first met on a Saturday on a spring day in the mid 1960�s. Peter was buying ammo and looking for a place to hunt groundhogs. I invited Peter and his University buddy to join me for a woodchuck hunt, and went to a farm that we hunted. We sort of lost touch when he graduated, I was getting ready for my first African safari and he was quite envious of my trek to Mozambique. He remembered me clearly, but I could not place him. Peter first came over to Africa in 1968 but spent quite a bit more time here in Africa than I did. Peter also hunted South America and always preferred the jungle and bush to the city and pavement.

After arriving in South Africa, I called Peter. I was a bit nervous about attending the first AGM / annual convention of the Professional Hunters Association of South Africa (PHASA), and asked Peter if I could sit with him. He told me I was always welcome at his table. Being the only two Americans in PHASA who lived here, he showed me the ropes, and apparently enjoyed being my silent mentor. He introduced me to his many friends, and showed me the correct path during the following years.

Early in our homesteading days in Africa, my miniature smooth haired dachshund Meg became ill and was at deaths door from dehydration, tick bite fever and a pinched nerve in her spine. She had become infested with ticks while guarding my wife and her lady client at a waterhole in the lowveldt, during a safari. We had to bring her in for surgery and treatment to a government research facility outside Pretoria, and I called Peter to see if we could stay with him and Fiona. He said he was a bit bored and could stand some company. We had just driven all night with the sick dog, and we had just completed a long safari with clients from France, and were exhausted when we arrived at his villa in Pretoria. Peter and Fiona made us welcome, and the next four days at Peter and Fiona�s were like a vacation in a grand Parisian hotel. They fed us like Kings, and we sometimes snuck out and grabbed a pizza. We shot pool or snooker in his pool room/office, where he wrote his many best sellers, his books and articles. We shot air rifles in the garden, shooting at empty 9mm brass cases. We talked of Africa, the Africa of old, and the new South Africa, and the Africa of tomorrow. He told me his favorite unpublished hunting stories, and I told my stories, and we discussed people he knew, and those we liked and those we did not like. It was strange we had come to the same conclusions independently.

While Peter was a man of Africa, he was still an American, and we talked endlessly about Africa and her wildlife, until he was ready for the sack. Peter liked to retire early, and after he bid us goodnight, I read those books of his that I did not own, and watched his extensive wildlife video collection, and videos of his hunts. He seemed to enjoy my company and was only to willing to sign, and in fact resigned and autographed several of his books he first signed in 1988 in the USA. He was very chuffed that I had purchased the first impression, first edition of his classic Death in the Long Grass. I gave Peter a small gift for putting us up, and putting up with us for almost a week while the dog healed. It was a videotape of my 1987 Elephant and Buffalo bowhunt in the Selous in Tanzania. Peter was fascinated with the video, and asked a hundred questions. After he hit the rewind button, he told me that he was amazed at the quality of the video, and after that it appeared my ratings with the former stockbroker rose 100 points. He then told my wife Donna Rae and I it was the best hunting video he had ever seen. Coming from Peter, it was an important and deeply appreciated compliment.

Peter was by and large a happy man, doing what he liked to do. There were times he gave the appearance of being grouchy, but it may have been due to health concerns. Peter loved people, and truly enjoyed them at times, but he treasured his tranquility and his very private home life. Peter was ever vigilant in his home, and carried his 9mm parabellum pistol from room to room as he moved about his home. He never forgot he was in Africa, and he never let his guard down. He told me the most dangerous animal in all of Africa walked on two legs. I think it was out of concern for his beautiful wife Fifi, as he called her and not so much for his own protection.
Speaking of firearms, he was very pleased that Art Alphin, honcho of A-Square Firearms, named his .470 Capstick after him. Peter was presented the first rifle made, which was a Winchester Model 70, and while I was visiting Peter, he told me he was forced to return his .470 Capstick to the Winchester factory for some minor repairs. There was a minor problem that might have slipped by a dozen professional hunters, but Peter found the glitch and had it corrected.

Peter told me he admired my guts, but not my intelligence, for bringing my lady to Africa at such a bad time, but he understood me. I think. Peter was quite surprised that I survived my first two years living in the remote bushveld of the Soutpansberg Mountains of the far Northern Transvaal of South Africa. Peter felt it was impossible for an American, like me, to become an outfitter and professional hunter in South Africa. Peter pointed out that old Rhodesia was, in many ways more civilized as far as culture, languages and security wise than modern South Africa was. In one of his books, Peter wrote that he had weekly letters from young Americans who aspired to become a professional hunter in Africa. Peter said in print �an American would have a better chance of winning the Victoria Cross than to become a professional hunter in Africa.� He told me with a wide smile �Tink, I think you have won the Victoria Cross and don�t yet know it.� I doubt if he knew that I knew what he was referring to, but I told him I knew the passage and treasured his comments. Peter was always kind and polite.

Peter was a kind man, and a truly caring person. At a hunter�s convention, I introduced him to a young black professional hunter, named Ross, who had been a classmate of mine at professional hunter�s school. As we took our seats, Peter became instantly aware that this young professional hunter had no one to sit with, as most of the tables were reserved or filled. Peter went to Ross, and insisted that Ross dine at his table next to Fiona. All real hunters were welcome at Peter�s table, and Peter was the classic U.V.A. gentleman. The University of Virginia, nicknamed U.V.A., produces gentlemen of the first water. Peter was a perfect gentleman to one and all. Peter was a kind man.

Peter once saved my life and when I thanked him, he made me promise never to mention it, since he didn�t want me to be embarrassed in having to tell the tale. Needless to say, I will always be in Peter�s debt. Peter did things other people would never do. He killed two Cape buffalo with a spear. Once to do it, and once again to prove it wasn�t a fluke. Peter had a dream from the time he was a small boy, and that was to go over to Africa to live. Peter lived out his dream, or was it his dream? Peter lived a life of adventure, then took the time to commit to his stories, and the stories of Africa, past and present, to the printed page. He was the world�s best storyteller.

Peter heard the stories we all do in Africa, but he captured them, edited, and polished them, and preserved them forever. Peter wrote twelve books, and sold more than any other hunting author in history. He made and appeared in many videos, so those who had never met him could someday see him on the small screen. Peter wrote stories for the French magazine FIRE, and for the leading South African hunting journal MAGNUM, as well as OUT THERE. It is said that Peter brought more hunters and people to Africa, though his works, than any other person. Peter not only wrote about Africa, but he lived Africa. Only someone who comes from far away can appreciate Africa. He spoke often about the people that were lucky enough to be born here and to live here a lifetime, seldom, if ever, appreciated in Africa. Peter did.

Writers and readers far more skilled than I, will discuss Capstick�s works well into the next century. However it was my wife that noticed his writing style, and pointed out to me that each paragraph told a story and his colorful writings jumped of the pages and bit deep into your soul when reading his work for the first time. A close friend told me that Peter was aware of some coronary circulatory problems as far back as two years, but avoided the confrontation with the cardiologist. I tracked his 1996 medical progress through a source outside of Fiona, and was relieved to hear the heart operation went well on March 5th, 1996. I sent him a get-well card that I am sure he never saw. Fiona told me that she had taken it to the hospital and that he really enjoyed hearing from me.

On Friday March 15th, I got the call about Peter�s death. I could not believe that Peter had left us. I could not accept that someone who was so vibrant and dynamic and full of life was gone. As I write this in April 1996, I am not yet over the shock. On March 16th, I wrote a letter and faxed it to some of the hunters and friends across the world that knew and loved Peter. It wasn�t much, but it was all I could think of at the time. I have the original folded and tucked away in one of his books that he had signed for me. It said something like this. Peter Hathaway Capstick passed away etc. Today Peter is on a hot spoor of a mighty black bull, in a land of dagga boy buffaloes, in a valley with massive elephants with thick tusks, and clever cats. Tonight Peter shares a small gleaming campfire with hunters from another time, such as Selous, Taylor, Bell, Harris and others. Peter was truly a son of Africa. Our prayers and thoughts go out to his devoted and beloved wife and soul mate, Fiona.

Peter was a giant of a man, with a heart as big as Africa, yet strong and straight as a new arrow. With out a doubt, Peter was one of the finest, if not the finest writer of our age. A man who turned his back on fortune, the family Hathaway shirt business, and went of into the jungles of Viet Nam to fight in freedoms name as a green beret officer, an American special forces soldier, and to Africa to fulfill a child�s dream. Peter, you did it all so bloody well too. You never got a client killed, you never got tossed in jail and you never stepped on a mamba. You lived your life, every second�s worth to THE MAX, and you were a gentleman the whole time. You were a man�s man, a man that women lionized, and you did America proud. You showed Africa just what could do when the chips were down. You took care of your clients, and hunted like a sportsman, with ethics and true responsibility.

There isn�t a good way to go out of this world, and while we both know you would have liked to go out in a tangle with a bull elephant, at least you were spared a long lingering struggle with a slow painful disease, and months of incarceration in a sterile, somber place of men in white suits, plastic pipes, needles and tanks of air. Hell Peter, you went out fighting. I choose to remember Peter as the well tanned, highly irrelevant, very witty and very funny guy who did his own thing, and didn�t �give a rats ass� about what other people thought. Peter had forgotten more about hunting than most people will ever learn. He loved African wildlife, and yet took endless delight in raising Koi, the oriental goldfish like creatures. He loved rifles, and all that go with them, yet he hunted with a bow and a spear, and loved all of nature, the good, the not so good, and the ugly.

Peter was one of the few truly happy people I have ever known. Peter was a hunter, and then a writer. Peter was a living legend in his own time, yet he was humble, simple and down to earth, a regular guy. Peter was a really nice guy, a super person, and I was fortunate to have had Peter as my friend. We will miss Peter.

Keep your powder dry, keep your nose in the wind, and watch your back trail, old friend.

Tink Nathan, Professional Hunter, Outfitter
9930 Hughes Ave.
Laurel, MD 20723-1744
Telephone 301-369-3096
E-mail tinkbowhuntingsafaris.com

Last edited by BOWHUNR; 06/27/07.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That was a good read. I have never understood why some people enjoy taking shots at Capstick. I've never seen anything written on this board that was too harsh but I have seen it on others and I always wonder why. The man contributed a ton to hunting and the safari life and he should be remembered that way. His books are a pleasure to read and, like many others, I'm sure, I wish that he were still with us.

Landrum

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice indeed BOWHUNR and I thank you for that post. Like many of us, I hunt africa because of PHC and those of us who continue to do so, owe a great deal to him. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by steve1
Shortly after Peter Hathaway Capstick passed away,and shortly before the Salvatos retired and sold the business,they had a worn but obviously well cared for Evans double rifle in .470NE for sale.I couldn't afford it anyway,but didn't make the connection until several months after the shop was moved by the new owners.I handled that rifle several times,but had to be very careful not to drool all over it.If I had made the connection,I might have moved heavan and earth to acquire it.

Must have been a different rifle. Capstick's 470 was stolen from his home in Naples in the early 80s before he moved to RSA along with one of his prized shotguns he used in africa. He even makes mention of that fact in one of his books as well as one of the videos he did with Ken Wilson. jorge

I also remember reading about his beloved 470 being stolen during the burglary. You're also right about him mentioning it in the video. It's on one of the Sportsmen On Film videos done by Ken Wilson.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for bringing that tribute to PHC back into the light. I met PHC at the Reno SCI convention the day he became ill, and even though it was evident that he was in extreme discomfort, he still took the time to speak with me for almost a half hour. His book, Death In The Long Grass was what convinced me to go hunt in Africa. His writings have kept me captivated for hours and hours. I would have loved to have hunted with him.

I wasn't aware that he had connections to the famous shirt company, but, that just goes to show that I still don't know everything.

Last edited by mikeh416Rigby; 06/26/07.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
:)Ditto WRT everything that's been said. I have every book he wrote and Peter was a very talented writer. Damn few, if any, IMO are better. He had a way with words that was different than T.R. whose style was different

Peter's videos were a surprise to me. After reading his books it was a bit different to see what I had imagined. Suggest trying his videos nonetheless. Not quite up to his books which were his true medium.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is something intimate about being the reader of a good writer. They may not know it but you come to know them through their stories, through their perceptions of men and life. It's as if you are looking into the window of their home and watching them live.
Nicest of all is when you've come to admire a man through his work and you find out he was good to others.

George

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I don't care if there isn't a shred of truth in his books. I think there is a lot, but I can tell you this, I was rivetted to the page after the first three sentences. It takes a good writer to do that to me. Capstick did it! Sorry to hear he is gone.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Think what you like. Glad you liked the book since I condidered him a friend. However.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My favorite story may be the one about the bwana blowing up the crapper when the mamba was using it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
toltecgriz,

I did not know the man, but something inside me wishes I did. I am not trying to take a stab at you in any way, or trying to defend Peter Capstick. But,, you have dropped two "however's...." in this post and I was wondering if you would fill us all in on what that means? If his stories were polished or even made up as many have reported, I can live with that, as all of us have done the same at some time or another. If he liked the "drink" a little too much I can live with that as well, as I have been known to tip a few more than needed. As Jorge stated earlier in this thread, PHC is the reason I have made the trip to the dark continent twice, and God willing many more times in my life. I guess all I'm asking is what does "however....." mean??

Mike

Last edited by BOWHUNR; 06/27/07.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've read all his books at one time or another and have seen all his videos too until I gave them away here on the 'fire. Writing is different from being filmed. It's hard to hide in front of a camera - of course prof actors do it all the time - but to me PHC came off as humble, knowledgeable, and a person well met.

George

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite story may be the one about the bwana blowing up the crapper when the mamba was using it.

I recall that was from his short story published in the American Hunter "Mamba Means Death". PHC was the sole reason I read The American Hunter for several years.

I often think PHC was a bit misunderstood by PH's and the public alike. I had the pleasure of his acquaintance and never found him to be braggadocios or to inflate claims of his skill. He did start his African training pretty much from scratch with the help of Geoff Broom, who I believe lent him the use of the man who became Capstick's mentor in the bush, Silent. Peter did learn about the bush, animals, and African bush culture. His time working for Game Control in Zambia gave him total immersion, if you will.

Peter, in my mind, only claimed to have the "bug" for Africa. Many of us have the same bug. PHC got to live out the life of a PH, and write about it. That was his goal when he started. I never got the impression that he was claiming to be the all knowing Oracle on the Hill. He was an American who dreamed of Africa, and passed on what he learned. Sure, he spiced it up, but that makes for good reading. I truly believe that the Renaissance in the Safari Industry that took place in the '80's and 90's was fueled by Peter's writings. How many of us read "Death in the Long Grass", and yearned for Africa? I certainly did. I found that even a few hardcore African PH's would dismiss PHC as a PH. but add "He's a bloody good storyteller!"

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by hatari

I truly believe that the Renaissance in the Safari Industry that took place in the '80's and 90's was fueled by Peter's writings. How many of us read "Death in the Long Grass", and yearned for Africa? I certainly did. I found that even a few hardcore African PH's would dismiss PHC as a PH. but add "He's a bloody good storyteller!"

You can count me among the believers that Peter's writings in the 70s definitely kicked the African revival into high gear. I flew up to Reno to meet him at SCI, unfortunately it was the day after he took sick.

He definitely could write.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Never intended to start a controversial thread with this one. Just to say, I am enjoying his books.

Nuff said. wink

Brother Keith

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I will have to be included in the number of PHC fans. I enjoyed his work as much as any author I have ever read. Last try to go to Africa got snuffed by health problems but sooner or later I will get there and PHC is one of the reasons. reflex264

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I didn't mean to be obtuse and didn't think I was. I didn't want to go into details again beyond what I've said previously. I was just saying there's more to the story than there appears That said, many of the stories he related in Death in the Long Grass did not happen as told by him. At the time I was with him, he was a nice guy and didn't drink that much. He was a decent camp companion, but I'm thankful he wasn't my PH.

He was a good story teller.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
He was a good story teller.

Even before internet forums made a lot of us good story tellers. grin

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RIP, PHC.....

For me, he lit the fires...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mikah416Rigby and Jorge1,
Not interested in taking this over the top,but for the record,I'm not much given to inventing stuff or going out of my way to put an undue spin on what I add to this sight or anything else.
I would guess that Bowhunr verifies the connection to the Hathaway Shirt Company.As far as the Evans is concerned,I knew of the family connections,and also some connection to Paterson Rod and Gun and it's opperators.You will note that I made no specific claim to it's previous ownership.Certainly the Salvatos never indicated a pedigree for that rifle.
However knowing of that connection,and the fact that when I was holding the rifle in my hands I was standing only 2-300 yds. from the Hathaway Outlet Store was quite an experience.If I could have figured out a way to swing the necessary lucre,I would have purchased that particular rifle with or without provenance leading back to PHC.It was the only Evans in any caliber I have ever seen,let alone shouldered and squeezed a trigger on.If I remember correctly,it was late 1996 or early 1997 and the asking price was $7800.00.It was on display there for several months after the new ownership took over the business and I visited it two or three times at least,until the business was moved again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea, we all form perceptions of what a person looks like and is from his writing or what ever public thing he does even scribbling on the internet. Yet, individual perceptions are not always accurate-we may be disappointed; still, that doesn't take away from whatever they did that endeared them to us in the first place.

George

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No problem, Steve, I just wanted you to know Capstick's Evans was indeed stolen. I don't know anything about the shirt company issue. On a separate note, I hope your first safari will be everything you hope it to be. What outfit will you be hunting with? jorge

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jorge,
As I said,just wanted to set the record straight.
Will be chasing Buffalo in L5 (I think I got that right) of the Selous in Tanzania with Dingwalls Safaris.Mohammed (Charles)Horsely is the PH we'll be working with directly,Gary Hopkins is the ramrod of the outfit for this deal.They both come highly recommended.
There are two Buff on the license,which we will split.Several plains game on the license as well.I'm concentrating simply on the Buff.Not sure it's efficaceous for me to spend all that extra money on the other species at this time.Besides,I need to save something to fuel my daydreams about the next time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like fun. If I were you I'd beg, borrow for the trophy fees for the extra animals. It's just me, but if I'm spending that kind of cash to go 8 thousand miles, just one animals seems false economy. Are you on a 10 day hunt? if you are, then I bleive you can take a warthog, impala, Nyasa Widebeest (in my view the best of that species) and a zebra. Hopefully you will also be able to share the Air Charter fees as they are very high in Tanzania. jorge

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jorge,
The contract lists 2 Wildebeest,1 Hartebeest,1 Impala,1 Zebra,and 1Warthog.
The air charter is included in the package.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's great! go for it, you won't regret it! jorge

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jorge,
To paraphrase a popular bumpersticker,even a bad day on Safari is likely to beat the bejabbers out of anything else.
So far this is shaping up to be a series of very good days.
Credit where credit is due,MoccasinJoe set most of this up.
So far he seems to have gotten everything right.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
steve
Do everything you can to make sure you do everyting you can while you are there. You never know. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hope you have a great time. jorge

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you one and all.

Now to get back to the original thread.Where we are going is essentially the same area Ruark hunted in Horn of The Hunter.Which of Capstick's books,and which of Ruark's would you take to read on the plane/layover in the airports.....or would you take something else?Which ones,and why ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Capstick:

Death in the Long Grass
Death in the Dark Continent
Safari
Last Horizons

Ruark:
Horn of the Hunter (Never gets old)
Old Man and the Boy + Grows Older
Something of Value

John Burger:
Horned Death

John Kingsley-Heath
Hunting the dangerous Game of Africa

I've got others once you finish those!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve - have you read "Someone of Value?" It's a good look at Ruark. Best, John

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I liked Ruark's "The Honey Badger," but I may be the only one.

The early Wilber Smiths read well. I think that's the correct name. They were pretty popular with the PHs who read at the time.

Hunter by J.A. Hunter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Terry Wieland's "A View From a Tall Hill" is a fascinating bio of Ruark along with pretty good literary and political history of those parts of Africa touched by Bob. Very interesting.

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Teddy Rooseveldt's AFRICAN GAME TRAILS is good and interesting too. A little different style but based on this three month safari with his son circa 1918 after his presidency. It cost ~90k at the time. Can you imagine now?

He got a lot of mileage out of the 'ol '06 and the 405

George

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've read many of these suggested books,though most quite awhile ago.Somewhere,still packed after I moved to my present house ,are copies of all of both Capstick's and Ruark's books.
I'm rereading The Horn of The Hunter right now.Your suggestions are all good,and sooner or later I hope to visit or revisit all of them.
Right now ,I'm looking for that one special book to really get my juices flowing (like they're not already) and perhaps either give me some new info.,or remind me of useful things that have slipped to the inner recesses of my so called mind.There are few experiences in life more annoying than coming up with the wrong solution to a problem,then afterward having that little neon light going off in the darkness flashing "I knew that !!!!".
Mostly,I suppose,I'm looking for all of the above in a package that will keep me entertained during the long flight and plane change,possible (probable ?)delays etc. on the trip out.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
PHC was the absolute best hunting storyteller ever IMHO.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
All this talk about African hunting literature has forced me to order Ruark's "The Horn of the Hunter" and Hemingway's "The Green Hills of Africa". "Hemingway on Hunting" has numerous excerpts from the book but thought it was time to buy the complete work. I've read plenty of Capstick and enjoy it immensely.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I envy you your first read of Horn of the Hunter! Best, John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve - have you read "Someone of Value?" It's a good look at Ruark. Best, John

On someones recommendation here I found a pristine copy online for about $35. HIGHLY recommended from me. A really good look behind the curtain. Pretty depressing too the way he self destructed early.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I cannot pass up the oppurtunity to pay tribute to Peter Capstick. As a boy, I read every article he contributed to Peterson's Hunting magazine. I Remember his articles in that magazine about the African Crocodiles, leopard and lions. His statistics on how many people were killed by them each year that the various African government's didn't want anyone to know about. His ability to explain the non-sense of the Anti-hunting
crowd, well it was eloquince. He put into words there what we all thought.
Even my mother (who hated hunting) became hooked on his articles when as a boy I got her to read one. If I brought her one of his articles from then on she would read it.

Today, as a grown man I now own a number of his books and have always dreamed of hunting in Africa, due to a large part from his writing. Of course, various writers such as J.A. Hunter, Evan Marshall,Hemingway and Rourke had a lot to do with that too. May they all rest in peace.

Finally, For those of you who can afford the costs of an African hunt, my hats off to you. Good Hunting Gentlemen!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Slide-

Well put. My wife who is a non-hunter and the only thing she knows about guns & rifles is I have 'em became enamored too.

George

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think Peter revived a dieing Africa with his books, The Safari business was on its last legs when he came on the scene, and the Safari business exploded.

As someone said his bonifide has often been questioned, but you will find that true of anyone who has had a modicom of success, and Peter is no exception to that rule. A jealous public filled with wannabes is the "unbonifider" of most famous people, most gunwritters and many fine PHs have suffered this delima..much the shame.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Were you there when we had to go find him in the middle of the night because he got lost.?
Were you there when we found his high-centered Land Rover that the elephants never touched?
Were you there when we loaned him our best tracker and the first thing he did was load the little guy down with a bandolier of 75 .375 cartridges that he had to carry every day?
Were you there when they moved him out of his area because his clients had wounded thirteen lions and he wouldn't follow any of them up?
Don't get me started.

He was a good storyteller, however.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ok toltegriz, you've uncorked that litany of fairly damming anectdotes. Not doubting your word, but can you elaborate? specifically, I guess I don't know your background or the source of the stories you mention. Thanks, jorge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recall Griz hunted with Geoff and Russ Broom when PHC was a neophyte with them. We are all beginners at some point. I'm sure Griz will chime in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Toltegriz,

I'd like to hear the details and more african stories. I have heard the PHC was a story teller as much or more than a hunter but that doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the story. One just has to be aware of what they are reading. Please tell us more of PHC.

Rolly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I agree. With that littany of, "were you there's", I would respectfully ask you fill them in a bit. And, I'm not doubting you either but since you brought them up, give us some context and put some flesh on the bones.
Frankly, I don't expect and never have that PHC was a Jim Corbett, superman, or anybody else and it won't change my opinion of his story telling. It is almost as interesting that we have someone here with first hand knowledge of him in Africa.

Gdv

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I would like to hear the details as well. The cat is out of the bag now so you might as well tell all before someone else reads between the lines and you get credited with a whole bunch of stuff that you never said.

Landrum

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I rest my case, and no I was not there, therfore I will not listen to gossip or frivoulous BS about incidents that really don't matter..but if you have never screwed up then I allow you your chatise, otherwise put your rocks up, they serve no purpose.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I am out of town and have very slow dial-up. I will address this matter when I get back unless I have a lot of time on my hands.

Ray
It's clear you could be hit in the face with the truth and still believe what you want. It's not frivolous if what he presented as fact was in fact substantially fiction, insofar as Death in the Long Grass was concerned. Paul Harvey might call it the rest of the story, rather than just calling it gossip because you don't care. Since you weren't there, you should consider keeping your uninformed opinions to yourself.

Hatari
I hunted with Luangwa Safaris which was Capstick's first job in Africa. Other PHs around were Tony Sanchez, Joe Joubert and Paul Nielsen.

I have no interest in recounting the whole thing, but may eventually. I'm going to have to look at the book again to refresh my memory of what Capstick said. What got my dander up is someone implying I don't know what I'm talking about when in fact I was in the middle of the events which occurred. Someone else can decide about Capstick's later reputation. I'm just talking about what I know and if someone is interested in the basis for his first book, well, that's what is called background.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Griz: I certainly hope you didn't think it was me questioning your veracity. This is not the first time I've heard these issues discussed and from fairly unimpeachable sources, but since you were {sic} in the middle of it,I wold love to hear more details. It would make for fantastic reading at least for me. No doubt Capstick used "extensive literary license" in his story-telling, but nevertheless, I loved all of his books. Cheers, jorge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Griz,

Now I recall you were with Tony Sanchez! We talked about that sometime ago. I'd actually like to here more about that safari and hunting with Tony. Since that predates my African Adventures by more than a decade, I'm sure conditions were different and probably more rugged. I imagine the game density was better.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I suppose that everyone is different. But for me, the MOST relevant fact about PHC is that his tales, piled on top of those by Hemingway, Ruark, Hunter, Bell and many others, sparked me to hunt Africa. The earlier guys laid the groundwork. Capstick kicked me over the edge.

I would indeed find the �rest of the story� on his personal life and experiences fascinating, as I�ve found it on Hemingway, Ruark, Hunter, Bell and many of the others. A surprising number were scoundrels in one way or another. But those revelations would in no why diminish the effect that PHC�s storytelling had on my vision of Africa and my obsession to hunt there.

I will always be indebted to Capstick for the colorful word-pictures he painted of Africa, its many characters and African hunting. Those pictures, entirely factual or not, got me to cross the pond.

My point is that it is not the man that I am enamored with, but the tall grass and the grunt of lions that he brought to my doorstep.

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
In 1995, when I first hunted in Tanzania, we had a Emmy Award winning video cameraman with us. He was hired him for the full season to film hunts, and as it turns out, this man was also one of the video photographers who filmed Peter Capstick's African hunting series of videos.

In a nutshell, he told me, under no uncertain terms, that Capstick was a physical wreck and a chronic alcoholic who had the DTs so bad that they had to prop him up with beer or two at the start of every morning, and that Capstick fumbled around in the bush, and did not demonstrate anything that would even remotely demonstrate familiarity, expertise or competence.

AD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That story is true. He was a wreck in the last year of his life and I was told the same information by another gent associated with the series and in particular, the last video of a leopard hunt. His first videos were not bad in my view. In fact, they are my favorites. jorge

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Timberline - well stated. As I have said before, knowledge of a writer (including the warts rather than pretending that none exist) adds to my understanding of what he writes by providing me with a more complete framework for understanding his words. Best, John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Allen-
I've watched all those videos Allen and he did not look well or at ease to me - furtive, nervous, and uncomfortable, esp. one of the last videos, the name of which escapes me now; maybe it was just me but I took it that he was suffering from his cardiac problems perhaps some degree of heart failure. Of course, it may have been fire-water too.

Gdv

Last edited by goodnews; 07/03/07.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jorge........which were his first videos which you find the better ones?.....i havent seen any of them and wouldnt mind tracking down a couple. if some are better than the rest, i would like a point in the right direction.

as others have said, i love PHC's story telling abilities, even among pure fiction writers its hard to find someone who writes the way he did. i love his books and would like to hear the rest of the story since you were infact there Griz.....i to like finding out about the back stories......PHC was a hell of a story teller and it doesnt surprise me that the truth was embelished.....hell most good story tellers do the same.....on this note, how much of "Death in Silent Places" was true acounts of the individuals that were "biogiphied" in it by PHC?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I never met the man but from his videos, he seemed to be a nice guy. He used a lot of self-deprecating humor; not exactly a trait of someone who takes himself too seriously. He might have been a BS artist and he may have had all sorts of personal problems (show me 5 people on this, or any, board who do not and I will give you a prize) but there is no doubt that he helped the cause of hunting in Africa.

I have a friend who has hunted a little but the outdoors is not a passion in his life. However, he has read everything that Capstick wrote and now he wants to go on Safari. That seems to be a common motif with regard to Capstick's audience.

L

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
rattler: I think his best ones were the first three, Hunting the African Lion, Buffalo and the one for plains game. They were produced by Sportsmen on Film and Ken Wilson and are still available. The latter ones for rhino, elephant were not as good and his last one for leopard, it was striking how bad he looked when compared to the first videos. Sad really. jorge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
many thanks!

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
PHC may have been a good professional hunter, but he was a poor -- and I mean really really poor -- writer. He completely and utterly screwed up the biography of a true character of the British Empire in Africa of the early 20th Century, Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen. Capstick's book, "Warrior" is virtually unreadable and is full to the very brim of BS.

�Give me four lines of any man�s writing and I can justify a hanging.� Cardinal Richelieu
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I am a comparativly slow reader. I read Long Grass in one sitting, when it came out as a new book. I was worthless from lack of sleep the next week at work. Odd little articles like "Minisniping" and such brings to the forefront the fact that what we all want most is to be "Professional Little Boys" and that is all I have to say about that. Bill

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 3Eighths
PHC may have been a good professional hunter, but he was a poor -- and I mean really really poor -- writer. He completely and utterly screwed up the biography of a true character of the British Empire in Africa of the early 20th Century, Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen. Capstick's book, "Warrior" is virtually unreadable and is full to the very brim of BS.

I'm afraid I agree with the Meinertzhagen book. A tough read. PHC was at his best in article length snippets. DITLG is basically short stories hooked together. I rather like his SAFARI_ THE LAST ADVENTURE as well as DITLG and DITDC.

Peter did look like warmed over death in the leopard video. Looked like advanced COPD. Capstick never claimed to be James Joyce, just an ordinary guy trying to write about Africa. I admit I enjoy his embellishment of the hunting exploits much more than his foray into biography.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As tough as it is for me to "not believe" in stories about famous authors in the past, you have to wonder whether this guy, "any author", has done anything worthwhile to negate all the bad publicity about his past. It was harder than hell for me to take in the fact that Taylor was a brokeback mtn. type. The only thing that keeps me from being disgusted beyond barfing is that he did publish some good works. PHC did come up with some great stories but that is overshadowed by the fact that he was a stone drunk and wrote about somebody else's experience rather than his own.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, to all of you who supposedly knew PHC while he was alive and writing, were you critical (then) to his face and publicly about what you are so critical of now that he is dead?

Did you call him a drunkard, accuse him of stealing others stories, etc. right to his face? Ever confront him personally? If you didn't do that while he was alive and in person, why would you do that now when he is dead? He cannot defend himself, cannot offer rebuttal.

I did not know the guy. Public debate about an author's facts or his life with the author is fine. Actually, its great, if there is just cause. I don't mind that. But when people say they knew the author, but to wait until after he is dead before publicly stating negative things about him, especially this type of stuff, in my opinion, is cowardly.

The same with John Taylor. Or WDM Bell, Wally Johnson, Elgin Gates, Herb Klein, et al.

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 3Eighths
He completely and utterly screwed up the biography of a true character of the British Empire in Africa of the early 20th Century, Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen. Capstick's book, "Warrior" is virtually unreadable and is full to the very brim of BS.

I have to agree. The Meinertzhagen manuscript should never have been published.

I wouldn't blame Capstick for it, however. The blame has to sit squarely on his estate and his publisher.

It looks like a first draft. Probably half of a first draft. Containing far too much irrelevant, personal material that should have been tossed and wasn't because there was barely enough text to call it book-length.

It might have been a better book had he lived. But I don't know good it could have been. We have Meinertzhagen's own writings, and one really good out-of-print biography, but beyond that, I believe everyone who knew him is long dead.

And if you know anything at all about Meinertzhagen, you know that he was one of Britain's top spooks for a couple of decades, so the chances of some previously unknown material surfacing seems pretty slim to me. He would have seen to that.

- TJM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DPhillips, GET OVER IT. This is not about manly men or testosterone or who's dad is tougher than the others. I could care less who confronted whom and called who what and cowardace. I enjoy finding out more about PHC and his actual life and writing. I only hold one person, now deceased, as having been perfect. All the rest of us have warts. I enjoy reading real stories about real men and women of which PHC was one.

Rolly
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
In fairness, "Warrior" was not completed when Capstick died. His wife put it into print, probably to raise some money. Can't fault her for that.

As for alcoholism, it is a progressive disease. Even if Capstick was a falling down drunk late in life, he could have been a normal and rational person, even if a heavy drinker, while completing most of his exploits.

I wonder about a lot of things. He says he researched 200 books about maneating lions before writing "Long Grass." Did he? He says he killed two buffalo with a spear. Did he? And if he was too chicken to follow up 13 wounded lions, why didn't the safari company fire him after the first half dozen or so. If he was a fake, why draw attention to this possibility by exposing John Taylor's Great Tana River Raid as a fake? It would be interesting to hear from any of his former safari clients.

I wish I could write like that man.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rolly,
What I wrote wasn't about anything that you referenced. Sure, I have a few Capstick books. Can't say I'm a fan, though. Certainly not like I am of Ruark's, Bell's, Nyschen, Arino, or many others. The last book that Fiona worked on with Andelino Pires (her new husband) "Winds of Havoc" is outstanding, however.

I guess what sticks in my craw is that the man is dead. He's not alive to defend himself. When he was, there were whispers about some of this stuff, but I can't remember anyone ever publicly admonishing him or approaching him where he could respond in kind. It seems now that he is gone, the gloves come off. Same with John Taylor and Princess Diana.

Just doesn't seem right, that's all.

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried to read "Death In the Tall Grass" and had a hard time with his Bogart type style.

Maybe I'll have to try another, which is his best work?

Is Death in Silent Places basically the same stuff as Long Grass?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you didn't like DITLG, it's likely that Capstick's style is just not for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
I'm very much a fan of the late Mr. Capstick. He intruduced "African" literature to an entirely new group of readers who would not peruse more scholarly tomes...imho

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Not to stir things up, but for the sake of accuracy, I looked at some of my notes from that long ago hunt and the number of lions was "6 or 7" according to the company. Apparently over the years I added the two together. Of course, it really changes nothing of any consequence, but does correct the record.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I wish you all could view the man in his videos on his safaris. I was wishing I could view his videos again as it's been a long time since I saw the one and only one about hunting elephants.

To say I expected something else is a great understatement. We sure get an expectation of someone from their books. His knack was writing and I find it hard to take that away from him. So he took literary license, bull crap, or whatever you want to call it. I've thoroughly enjoyed his books.

If you look at the life style of many great writers, their writings were done under the use of cocaine, booze or other mind altering drugs. I'll not degrade the man for needing drugs to cope with his life. Yea, it was a poor choice and I'll just wish he didn't have to be a drunk and let it go at that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PHC was an outdoor writer of the first order. I don't know if all his stories were true or not. I choose to believe them at face value. He also brought a lot of the old writers back with his reprints and for this he should be applauded. I purchased his videos from Ken Wilson in 2005. I inquired if he would write a biography on Capstick. He mentioned that his wife Fiona was going to write it. I am looking forward to that and hopefully it will dispel some of the myth currently circulating.

Kevin Haile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ttt

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
My only complaint about Death in the Long Grass is that the danged book fell apart after I read it too many times.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've read a whole bunch African safari books even though I am not a reader.My favourite is "Months Of The Sun" by Nychens.It's been a while since I read a very good one-I check Safari Press from time to time in case someone has a new one out that I think I will enjoy.One day I am sure another great book will come out.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I have to agree. The Meinertzhagen manuscript should never have been published.

I wouldn't blame Capstick for it, however. The blame has to sit squarely on his estate and his publisher.

It looks like a first draft. Probably half of a first draft. Containing far too much irrelevant, personal material that should have been tossed and wasn't because there was barely enough text to call it book-length.

I'd have to agree with you here. Capstick isn't the only author whose family/heirs/estate tried to capitalize on his writing after his death by releasing unfinished material.

Ernest Hemingway and J.R.R. Tolkien are two literary greats whose families peddled utter trash after their deaths. It's a shame to have that crap out there tarnishing the legacy of such fine writers.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by swiftshot
My favourite is "Months Of The Sun" by Nychens.

This is one of my favorites as well. Not particularly well-written, to my mind, but what a fantastic storybook life he lived!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
In fairness, "Warrior" was not completed when Capstick died. His wife put it into print, probably to raise some money. Can't fault her for that.

As for alcoholism, it is a progressive disease. Even if Capstick was a falling down drunk late in life, he could have been a normal and rational person, even if a heavy drinker, while completing most of his exploits.

I wonder about a lot of things. He says he researched 200 books about maneating lions before writing "Long Grass." Did he? He says he killed two buffalo with a spear. Did he? And if he was too chicken to follow up 13 wounded lions, why didn't the safari company fire him after the first half dozen or so. If he was a fake, why draw attention to this possibility by exposing John Taylor's Great Tana River Raid as a fake? It would be interesting to hear from any of his former safari clients.

Excellent post.

Robert Ruark drank himself to death. So did F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Hemingway's death may have been by suicide on the death certificate, but booze should have been on the list of contributory causes (after all his years of boxing, I have to wonder if he might have had Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy?).

The only thing that's kept us from the sad spectacle of those great writers being on video in their dotage was the fact that videography was not ubiquitous in their day.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Coming from a guy that will never be able to visit or hunt in Africa his books have taken me to places I can only dream about . Wished I could have meet him .
Ps I do own a 375 h&h Winchester model 70

Barry
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Excellent post.

Robert Ruark drank himself to death. So did F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Hemingway's death may have been by suicide on the death certificate, but booze should have been on the list of contributory causes (after all his years of boxing, I have to wonder if he might have had Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy?).

The only thing that's kept us from the sad spectacle of those great writers being on video in their dotage was the fact that videography was not ubiquitous in their day.

Hemingway may have been a functioning alcoholic, but he had hemochromatosis, which has depression as a symptom, as did his father, who also committed suicide. (As did his brother and sister too.) Hemingway also had over ten electric shock treatments just prior to his death, and was a mental wreck. He shot himself four days after being released. I don't think drink had much to do with his death. Or boxing.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I still have two or three of PHC’s books. “Death in the tall grass” and “death in silent places” are two that I remember. Seems there was “The lions of Tsaro (SP?)” - or maybe that was just a chapter.

I thought his books to be excellent! Made me want to go to Africa in the worst way.

Cape Buffalo, Leopard, Lion and maybe a crocodile.

I went to Africa on a mission trip in ‘98. Saw hippos, crocodiles, apes, baboons, different antelope. The natives told me that I couldn’t go into my hut as there was a black mamba in there one evening and in another part of the country they kept us from going to the hospital’s dump because of snakes. Would have liked to have seen elephants and giraffes.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I always enjoyed reading the Capstick book, he was a good storyteller and made for an enjoyable read.

I view outdoor writers as those who write about hunts and adventures and gun writers in two separate categories as far as expectations. From an outdoor writer I enjoy the tale of the hunt and really enjoy reading the few who can make a person feel like they are on the trip. O'connor had that ability and to a degree so did Capstick.

Gunwriters however fall into another care category - the ones who write from a technical aspect which I enjoy, then there are those who write for the gunrags who are just parroting the line that the manufacturer puts out. I view the majority of gunwriters the same as I do used car salesmen - they are just telling you what they think you want to hear rather than telling the whole truth.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A fine writer, that often borrowed from others. I find the middle to late 1800's authors the most realistic. Some of those were 2 and 3 year safaris.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway

Excellent post.

Hemingway may have been a functioning alcoholic, but he had hemochromatosis, which has depression as a symptom, as did his father, who also committed suicide. (As did his brother and sister too.) Hemingway also had over ten electric shock treatments just prior to his death, and was a mental wreck. He shot himself four days after being released. I don't think drink had much to do with his death. Or boxing.

His grand-daughter, Margaux, commited suicide in 1996.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Toltecgriz is the only person who regularly posts on this site that claims to have shared a safari camp with PHC, so I choose to believe what he has posted about his on-site experience with PHC.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Toltecgriz is the only person who regularly posts on this site that claims to have shared a safari camp with PHC, so I choose to believe what he has posted about his on-site experience with PHC.

Yes, we know what you think about PHC. You've only repeated it about 50 times. Give it a rest.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Yes, we know what you think about PHC. You've only repeated it about 50 times. Give it a rest.

So, are you saying that Toltecgriz is wrong about PHC? If anybody else hunted with PHC I'd like to read what they have to say about their experience with him.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

I Love his books!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
CarlsenHighway "Hemingway may have been a functioning alcoholic, but he had hemochromatosis, which has depression as a symptom, as did his father, who also committed suicide. (As did his brother and sister too.) Hemingway also had over ten electric shock treatments just prior to his death, and was a mental wreck. He shot himself four days after being released. I don't think drink had much to do with his death. Or boxing.

Hemchrmatosis is an interesting ailment. Here's a short definition and symptoms of it from Mayo Clinic.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hemochromatosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20351443

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
PHC was a very entertaining author. I can't comment on anything else, but he was very entertaining, and I appreciate that.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Doc,

You might enjoy this read. EH had a number of serious head injuries that were documented, much less some minor ones. A few corrections from authoritative sources (in red)-

Hemingway’s Accidental Journey
Loren Kantor

Sep 5, 2020

Ernest Hemingway was no stranger to accident and injury.

In 1954, Ernest Hemingway took his fourth wife Mary Welsh to Africa. He chartered a sightseeing plane to show her the Belgian Congo and glorious Murchison Falls. While flying low over the trees, the plane struck a utility pole and crash-landed in heavy brush. Hemingway suffered a concussion. His wife broke two ribs.
That night they camped in the bush waiting for a response to their distress call. A passing plane saw the crash and reported no survivors. Word spread around the world that Hemingway was dead. The next day, Hemingway and his wife were picked up by a bush pilot. Amazingly, the second plane caught fire and exploded during takeoff. Hemingway slammed his upper body and head against the exit door to escape. He suffered burns and a concussion severe enough to cause leaking cerebral fluid.

The injured travelers were driven to an Entebbe hospital. Hemingway joked with journalists and spent weeks recuperating and reading his erroneous obituaries. Restless and bored, he left the hospital and took Mary and his son Patrick on a fishing trip to Kenya. A bushfire broke out and Hemingway helped extinguish the flames. He suffered burns on his legs, torso, lips and arms. He was also diagnosed with two crushed vertebra, a ruptured liver and spleen and a broken skull.

Hemingway was no stranger to accidents and illness. In 1918 he enlisted as a World War I ambulance driver on the Italian front. While bringing chocolate and cigarettes to the front line he was struck by mortar fire. Despite serious shrapnel wounds to both legs, he carried an Italian soldier to safety earning him the Italian Silver Medal of Bravery. He underwent an operation and spent six months recuperating.

In 1927 while honeymooning in France with his second wife Pauline Pfeiffer, Hemingway contracted Anthrax. A few months later in Paris, he pulled a skylight down on his head thinking it was a toilet chain. This left him with a permanent scar on his forehead. In the early 1930s, Hemingway took writer John Dos Passos elk hunting in Montana. After driving Dos Passos to the train station, Hemingway crashed the car and broke his arm. The surgeon bound the bone with kangaroo tendon. He was hospitalized for two months and it took more than a year for the nerves in his writing hand to heal.

In 1933, Hemingway and Pauline went on safari to East Africa. The trip inspired Hemingway’s short story “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” and his collection Green Hills of Africa. The trip also gave Hemingway a bout of amoebic dysentery and a prolapsed intestine. He was evacuated by plane to a Nairobi hospital.

In 1944 while in London writing about World War II, Hemingway was involved in another car accident. He suffered a concussion and a head wound requiring 50 stitches. (His driver hit a truck at night during the blackout) He traveled to Normandy with a head bandage to witness the D-Day landing. He found himself under fire at the Battle of the Bulge. The stress caused him to be hospitalized with pneumonia. (Actually, he was caught by intense artillery fire in the battle the Hertigen Forest and had another head injury.)

In 1945 he returned to Key West, Florida. Guilty about his failed marriage to third wife Martha Gellhorn, he drank heavily. One night after too many daiquiris, he had another car accident, smashing his knee and suffering the third (serious underestimate) of many concussions.

Hemingway fell into a deep depression as his literary friends passed away. He lost W.B. Yeats in 1939, Scott Fitzgerald in 1940 and Sherwood Anderson and James Joyce in 1941. Gertrude Stein died in 1946 and his long-time Scribner’s editor Max Perkins died in 1947. Hemingway suffered headaches, weight problems and tinnitus. He was diagnosed with diabetes.

From late 1955 to early 1956, Hemingway was bedridden. His doctors urged him to stop drinking to heal his damaged liver. He disregarded the advice and was treated for high-blood pressure and arteriosclerosis. By 1959, he was having trouble organizing his thoughts. Always the master of brevity and concise prose, he lost control of his writing. He was commissioned by Life magazine to write a 10,000-word article on bullfighting. He submitted a 40,000-word opus and asked writer A.E. Hotchner to help him trim the piece. Hotchner found Hemingway to be “unusually hesitant, disorganized and confused.” His eyesight was failing him. He’d become anxious about money and was paranoid the FBI was monitoring his movements. (J. Edgar Hoover opened a file on him during WWII.) (Largely because he cavorted with Spanish Loyalists -i.e. communists vs. the Fascist Nationalists during the Spanish Civil War) He drank heavily to combat the pain from his lifelong injuries. (Book written by Arnold Samuelson who spent a year with Hemingway in Key West in the mid 1930s indicated that at that point of his life he was not an everyday boozer)

In 1960, hearing that Fidel Castro wanted to nationalize property owned by Americans, Hemingway and his wife Mary left their beloved Finca Vigia ranch in Cuba and moved to Ketchum, Idaho. He became seriously ill and checked into the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Doctors diagnosed him with a psychiatric illness and treated him with 15 rounds of electroshock therapy. In early 1961 he was “released in ruins.”

Hemingway had always been plagued by suicidal thoughts. His father Clarence committed suicide with a gunshot to the head in 1928. Hemingway commented at the time, “I’ll probably go the same way.” Like his father, Hemingway had been diagnosed with the genetic disease hemochromatosis. This caused the inability of the body to metabolize iron resulting in mental and physical deterioration. Hemingway’s sister Ursula and brother Leicester also committed suicide. Years later, Hemingway’s granddaughter Margaux took her own life.

On June 2, 1961, Hemingway awoke early, careful not to wake Mary. He donned a favorite dressing gown that he called his “emperor’s robe” and entered the basement where he kept his guns. He grabbed a double-barrel 12-gauge Boss & Co. shotgun, inserted two shells, walked into the upstairs foyer, put the barrel into his mouth and pulled the trigger. The story reported to the press was that Hemingway “accidentally shot himself while cleaning his gun.” Months later, Mary admitted the death was suicide.

Hemingway had been a swashbuckling, hard-drinking adventurer. He was a hunter, a pugilist, a war hero and a writer who defined his time and mastered his craft. In 1954, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. He opted not to travel to Stockholm. Instead he sent a speech to be read aloud defining the writer’s existence. “Writing, at its best, is a lonely life. Organizations for writers palliate the writer’s loneliness but I doubt if they improve his writing. He grows in public stature as he sheds his loneliness but often his work deteriorates. For he does his work alone and if he is a good enough writer he must face eternity, or the lack of it, each day.”

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I don't know whether he really did all the things he wrote. Frankly, I don't care. He transported me as a young farm kid to places I'd never be and allowed me to accompany him on adventures I'd never do in real life. I may have been cutting weeds out of beans or attending school during the day; but at night... At night, I'd be listening to hyenas, elephants, and lions.

He and Patrick F. McManus made this kid's world bigger, more exciting, and infinitely more enjoyable.

I thank them both for that.

Last edited by Rangersedge; 10/17/21.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
I don't know whether he really did all the things he wrote. Frankly, I don't care. He transported me as a young farm kid to places I'd never be and allowed me to accompany him on adventures I'd never do in real life. I may have been hoping weeds out of beans or attending school during the day; but at night... At night, I'd be listening to hyenas, elephants, and lions.

He and Patrick F. McManus made this kid's world bigger, more exciting, and infinitely more enjoyable.

Eloquently put!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know whether he really did all the things he wrote. Frankly, I don't care. He transported me as a young farm kid to places I'd never be and allowed me to accompany him on adventures I'd never do in real life. I may have been hoping weeds out of beans or attending school during the day; but at night... At night, I'd be listening to hyenas, elephants, and lions.

Well, you saved me from taking the time to write that word for word. I've looked back on my experiences of his writings and, assuming it is all 100% fiction does not change my feelings about his writings. The man had a way of painting a verbal picture which is not emulated by many other writers.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know whether he really did all the things he wrote. Frankly, I don't care. He transported me as a young farm kid to places I'd never be and allowed me to accompany him on adventures I'd never do in real life. I may have been cutting weeds out of beans or attending school during the day; but at night... At night, I'd be listening to hyenas, elephants, and lions.

Good post - stick around.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thanks everyone! Just joined; but have broused occasionally in the past.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
What a shocking, horrible mess he left his wife to find after being awoken to the roar of a shotgun in the house. Poor woman.

The way life should be.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
PHC was a very entertaining author. I can't comment on anything else, but he was very entertaining, and I appreciate that.

I’m with you on this. I read Death in the Long Grass and it was captivating.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't really see the problem with PHC - the man was a professsional hunter in Africa, according to some he may not have been the best one - but so what? He was still a PH in Africa and knew what he was writing about. And he was a wonderful writer. He is certainly a better writer than all the other PH's. What more did you want from the guy?

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Great post. Thanks for capturing my thoughts better than I could have.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cluggins

I second that.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I second that.

He was a great writer and story teller, who just happened to be a PH.

Writing, evidently, was his big talent, shining brighter than his PH career.

But, he entertained millions with his books and stories.

What's not to like.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
This comes up every year or so. Here is a copy of the eulogy written by Tink Nathan (of Tinks 69 fame). I'm sure many of you have seen it but for those who have not, enjoy.

Mike

As I Remember Capstick
By Tink Nathan

Peter was a giant of a man, with a heart as big as Africa, yet strong and straight as a new arrow. A man who turned his back on fortune, the family Hathaway shirt business, and went of into the jungles of Viet Nam to fight in freedoms name as a green beret officer, an American special forces soldier, and to Africa to fulfill a child�

Tink Nathan, Professional Hunter, Outfitter
9930 Hughes Ave.
Laurel, MD 20723-1744
Telephone 301-369-3096
E-mail tinkbowhuntingsafaris.com

Tink, I have read most of Capsticks books and articles going back to the time he says he guided in South America and don't ever rememberi him mentioning his being a Green Beret officer in Vietnam ? As a Vietnam vet I am interested in hearing his stories on that part of his life.
You knew him during that time, what can you share with us? Where and when did he serve ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't remember Peter ever claiming such experience in print.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bluefish
What a shocking, horrible mess he left his wife to find after being awoken to the roar of a shotgun in the house. Poor woman.

I was given to understand that he died shortly after surgery because of some sort of complications. Your post seems to imply he committed suicide. I'm open to the possibility of my having been misinformed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bluefish

WHAT THE F UCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????
Peter died of a blood clot as a result of open heart surgery . Ernest Hemingway comes to mind regarding your comment...

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Hemingway of course. Check the thread. Clearly I am speaking of EH. PHC died on the table if memory serves.

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Don't know if this is the right place to mention this, but here goes. . . .

My girls bought me two of his books for fathers' day. Have nearly finished reading "Death in the Long Grass." It is giving me a huge appreciation for the Professional Hunter and the awesomeness of African hunting.

All I can say is, "WOW!"

I read Death in the Long Grass in my early teens. After reading it, I quickly cut a swath through the rest of his prose like a lawnmower cutting through, well, short grass.

I loved hunting and his writing was lively. It still is.

When I was in Agricultural & Mechanical school, my dad called and asked if I wanted to meet in Dallas and go to the DSC convention. I quickly said yes.

The DSC convention was a much smaller affair then. We walked around it and wandered into a small room with high end rifles. I mean really expensive rifles. I knew nothing about double rifles but saw one that looked tasteful and appealed to me. I picked it up, then turned over the price tag that was hanging from the trigger guard. It read "$150,000" (and that was before inflation, back when $150K would buy you something more than, say, a fuqking cheesburger). I set the rifle down carefully, and I looked around the room.

Peter Capstick was one isle over with an entourage. He looked like his the press photos inside the dust cover of his books. He was tan and dressed in a "safari" shirt with built in cartridge loops, his hair was slicked back and he had on a elephant hair bracelet.

I walked over, stuck out my my hand and told him I was a fan of his writing. He seemed surprised and he was quite drunk. It was well before noon.

Maybe was "on vacation" that day.

And perhaps he had a bunch of clients in a row who really couldn't shoot. (Hey, I've worked as a guide and have seen some terrible shots.) Or maybe he wasn't a great guide and just wanted to party as toltecgriz implies; I don't know.

None of that shades his gifts as a writer. He was a fantastic story teller, but I personally doubt he was a great hunter.

Maybe he was when he was younger, before the booze took over. It's possible.

Last edited by TexasPhotog; 12/16/21.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
What the hell, who hasn’t gotten lit before noon?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

You say that like it’s a good thing.

Not passing any judgment but it would seem to be less than productive. At any rate he lived an exciting life and could write. Come to think of it the same formula worked for Hemingway too. Take the good with the bad I reckon.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What's the source of information that PHC wasn't a good PH? I've watched several of his videos and nothing in them would suggest he would be less than a very good PH.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CZ550
What's the source of information that PHC wasn't a good PH? I've watched several of his videos and nothing in them would suggest he would be less than a very good PH.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Well, this will add another few pages to be sure....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Well, this will add another few pages to be sure....

For sure.... wink

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Toltecgriz on this site shared a camp with PHC and has reported that some of the events that PHC wrote about didn't happen the way that PHC claimed.

Toltecgriz is the only person who I recall posting on this site about actually hunting out of the same camp that PHC was present in. If anyone else did, I don't recall seeing their posts.

PHC was a good story teller, but I did find it a bit disappointing to read on this site the differences between what PHC wrote and what Toltecgriz observed.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Toltecgriz on this site shared a camp with PHC and has reported that some of the events that PHC wrote about didn't happen the way that PHC claimed.

Toltecgriz is the only person who I recall posting on this site about actually hunting out of the same camp that PHC was present in. If anyone else did, I don't recall seeing their posts.

PHC was a good story teller, but I did find it a bit disappointing to read on this site the differences between what PHC wrote and what Toltecgriz observed.

How many hunts did he share with PHC. One hunt doesn't make a career

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

How many hunts did he share with PHC. One hunt doesn't make a career

No idea, but Toltecgriz is the only eye-witness account that I've read anywhere. I don't think that anyone has said that PHC didn't take artistic license to make a story more interesting.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 12/17/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If someone wants to write a novel that's entertaining then that's fine...you know its fiction. What annoys me is not knowing what is fiction and what is truth when someone writes about hunting adventures. A book loses its entertainment value for me when the author is prone to exaggerate or sensationalize just about every event. I know that is not the case with everyone, some don't mind fiction if it is well written, so long as they get entertained.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Remember, you can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Remember, you can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning.

P

Now that’s logical.

Ha!

DF

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Tink Nathan’s tale of PHC serving as a “Green Beret Officer” in Vietnam is chronologically impossible. First, he would need to be commissioned as a 2LT. The quickest route would be OCS which would take at least 3 months. Next he would have to attend Infantry Officer Basic at Ft Benning GA, which is another 3 months. I know because I went through IOBC in 1970. Next would be Jump School at Benning, another 3 weeks. Next would be Special Forces training which takes a minimum of 3 months. Last but not least would be Jungle School in Panama for an additional 3 weeks. Each of these training components would require PHC to wait for the next available class to open up before he could attend, and they had to be completed in the sequence I’ve described. The Army wouldn’t invest all the time and money to train a young officer without at least a 3 or 4 year commitment. PHC just didn’t have the time to have gone through all the necessary training and still live the fascinating life he lived as a writer and PH.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The dissonance of PHC’s legacy continues.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway

Excellent post.

His grand-daughter, Margaux, commited suicide in 1996.

I think that a lot of writers see themselves as performance artists, as well as chroniclers. And for those who write for the entertainment of others, I can't find much to fault with this approach.

I read, some years back, some feature articles by Capstick. Also read a couple of Hemingway's books. I didn't care for Hemingway's style of writing, but I get it that so many do. Even at that, i could still live in the story, as it was written.
I have had older friends, now gone on, who talked kinda like Hemingway wrote. Literary influence is a big thing in many lives.
And if Capstick wrote, or tried to write, like some of his literary influences, so what?

As to the alcohol and drug use of prominent people in the public eye? Nothing new, and I doubt that it will end. How are those in the public eye substantially better, or more perfect than the rest of us? Looking at the mirror as I write this.

And often, those who live large lives fail in large ways. Google "happy valley set" for an alternative view of 20th century life in East Africa.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
His grand-daughter, Margaux, commited suicide in 1996

While living near Miami in the early 80s, I met both Margaux, and Mariel. Both seemed to be pretty cool and charming gals.

But a testament, maybe, to my above comment about "large lives"...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Deleted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Peter Capstick's legendary exploits and Mark Sullivan's charge stopping videos. Good or bad or questionable hunting adventures, they kept me on the edge of my seat and are fun to venture into. Even if I don't totally agree with them.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by johnw

As to the alcohol and drug use of prominent people in the public eye? Nothing new, and I doubt that it will end. How are those in the public eye substantially better, or more perfect than the rest of us? Looking at the mirror as I write this.

And often, those who live large lives fail in large ways. Google "happy valley set" for an alternative view of 20th century life in East Africa.

It's interesting to me how this thread has been slowly percolating on the back burner for 15 years now... I guess I've done my part to keep it on life support, so mea culpa...

I think your comment about prominent people and public eye is very true. Anyone who dares to raise himself/herself above the general population in one form or another becomes "fair game" for those who choose to criticize or call them out. I know a couple of authors in the guns and hunting field fairly well, and they have commented to me about the unpleasant fact that anonymous critics are a constant bother to them. People seem to think that tearing down someone else, whether justified or not, raises themselves up. It's an incredibly juvenile attitude, but a very common human behavior.

As you say, when we look in the mirror we see someone as fallible, more or less, as these literary persons. We all have feet of clay. Some of the people who post on this board are bigger drunks than Hemingway or Capstick. Some are more seriously depressed. Most of the people who post on here are pretty confident about their own goodness, but some fail to look in the mirror before they hit "Enter". I know I've been guilty of this more than once.

I have been held Hemingway's writing in very high regard for most of my life. In my younger years I devoured everything he wrote that I could get my hands on, and read much of the secondary source material about his writing as well. I wrote papers on Hemingway for my English Lit classes (I double-minored, in History and English). I read several of his biographies, which saddened me at the time because I had built up a mental profile of the man based on his fiction that did not correlate at all with his actual life story. No matter. The man's work stands on its own, and I'm fine with that now. I re-read For Whom The Bell Tolls about a year ago and enjoyed it almost as much as the first reading more than 40 years ago.

I could say the same thing about my regard for Capstick's writing. I reread Death in the Long Grass again a year or two ago, and enjoyed it very much, just as I did more than 40 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

Celebrity is a harsh mistress, regardless of how it presents itself to us.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Peter Hathaway Capstick is the finest modern hunting writer I have ever read. He knows how to tell a story well. My favorite fishing writer is John Gierach. It amazes me that all these people seem to "know" PHC told little white lies in his books. Who are they and were they there in the bush with him? I not only believe his stories, hell, I even believe the cover is real leather. I think I know who is lying here!!

I have read Hemingway and I know I am supposed to be impressed and love his writing, but, to me, it's just ok.

A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no
worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel
or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as
the man using it. Remember that. Shane

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Capstick took me to africa, got me to love africa, and i’d say was responsible for my 3 trips to africa (so far). I have a very very wonderful friend and patient that has done more hinting in africa than most ive heard of. Heck he has shot over 160 elephants in his day. I asked once at his house what he had ever heard or thought of capstick and his response was that capsticks writings embodied his adventures in africa better than anything he could ever weite or tell me in stories. I asked what he thought of the accuracies of his writings and he laughed and said, “who cares!, anyone who does is just being petty. He was an african ph and onviously a great writer.” I just nodded and agreed and only think of it when one of these threads comes up.

Actually doing something usually changes a persons previously worthless opinion
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tradmark
Capstick took me to africa, got me to love africa, and i’d say was responsible for my 3 trips to africa (so far). I have a very very wonderful friend and patient that has done more hinting in africa than most ive heard of. Heck he has shot over 160 elephants in his day. I asked once at his house what he had ever heard or thought of capstick and his response was that capsticks writings embodied his adventures in africa better than anything he could ever weite or tell me in stories. I asked what he thought of the accuracies of his writings and he laughed and said, “who cares!, anyone who does is just being petty. He was an african ph and onviously a great writer.” I just nodded and agreed and only think of it when one of these threads comes up.

Very good post. Sums things up well.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have watch many video`s of Capstick and enjoyed them all , over the 2022 New Years weekend i read my Christmas present the book Death in the Long Grass was a very good read Peter Capstick in my eyes was a great writer and PH , wished i would have met this great man. if you have not read this book yet you should its a very good read ,its one of those books its had to put down till you have finished reading the entire book. have a great read,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are numerous African countries with numerous way$ of obtaining a PH license.
If you ask almost any PH who actually makes a living hunting you will find almost universal opinions about Capstick, and one is that he was instrumental in reviving the safari industry.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Then credit where credit is due and be done with it. After all everyone has a place in the telling.

The way life should be.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (10ring1, 160user, 16penny, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,891
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.