-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Exactly- the one I have attaches to trekking poles I'm already carrying anyways, the head weighs all of 5 oz- should have had it!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I havent read all the posts but have used trekking poles for the past 4-5 years. I really like Leki. I think I have the carbon lite or some such. In my mind you want: cork handles, snap/lever lock, carbon tips, wrist strap.

Wife and I did 20.2 miles yesterday in the Smokies with a pack. 7 creek crossings (shoes off), climbed 4100 vertical, over rocky, rooted trail, much of it sidehilling on the 'trail'. It wasnt an easy 20 miles. The poles saved my arse in one of the stream crossing in crotch deep swift water, countless times across the rocks and roots. Some hate them, I love them. I really find them useful for climbing. I find they make a big difference when I'm packing game out. I never go hiking without them and carry them most of the time when I'm elk hunting.

I'll plug Leki - you break or lose a part, they replace it for life. They are a bit spendy but.....

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't do the long hikes any more and as I approached 70, the balance started getting a little shaky. 1 pole makes a huge difference to an old fart on rough ground. I don't use both poles too often but they can really help sometimes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've had a pair of Lekis for many years. Have no idea what model. I'm sure there are better, lighter ones to be had. I figure no reason to replace them though as the just keep working.
Sometimes my knees really give me problems and the poles help. Took some getting used to actually having and using them, but once I did I rarely go to the mountains without them.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If unsure, get the carbon fiber ones from Costco. Just to check out the concept. After using them for ANY trail use, you'll be sure. Pack designers tell you their wonder-pack takes pounds off the load. Sticks do take pounds off the load. Can't tell you how much dirt I would've eaten without trekking poles - I'd sooner forget my knife.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

On any steep snow or icy slope with no safe run out...get a real ice axe, learn HOW to use it to arrest a slide from ANY position and DO NOT count on trekking poles to stop you!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a dedicated mountain hiker but use trekking poles while coyote hunting, they make getting up out of arroyos and up hillsides easier for these 73 yr old bones. Being rather cheap I pick up used XC ski poles and take the baskets off them. They also make great shooting cross sticks by looping the wrist straps across the other pole, perfect height for stands on my three leg stool or on a hillside where regular cross sticks are tooo short.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

On any steep snow or icy slope with no safe run out...get a real ice axe, learn HOW to use it to arrest a slide from ANY position and DO NOT count on trekking poles to stop you!

I don't think anyone suggested using only trekking poles on steep ice and snow

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka

The geniuses advocating using a whippet for their safety, were.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have some of the new New SWIX Carbon Nordic Walking Poles, and I'm a large large fellow, a 300 pounder. These poles are a 1 piece design, made at specific lengths dependent on your height from the manufacture. Much more durable than the collapsible 3 piece jobs in my experience.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
FYI, CamoFire has an assortment of their (Camofire/Black Ovis) poles on sale today.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ribka

The geniuses advocating using a whippet for their safety, were.

Lots of folks using them w/ skill and experience that far exceeds yours. Including the guy that invented them while an employee of BD. You could even get crazy and have both if the activity and terrain called for that.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 07/19/20.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You don't know what you are talking about...again. OBVIOUS you've never encountered a steep snow slope, let alone tried to stop a fall.

You couldn't follow me for 2 miles, boobyman.

Next time you get more than 200 yards from your pickup...be sure to carry a toe tag so we can identify you when nature overpowers your nonsense.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

You don't know what you are talking about...again. OBVIOUS you've never encountered a steep snow slope, let alone tried to stop a fall.

Next time you get more than 200 yards from your pickup...be sure to carry a toe tag so we can identify you when nature overpowers your nonsense.

Your every post denigrates your credibility...more.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi,

If the closed length is not an issue, I think the best and stronger trekking pole is a two parts flip lock one. I have an aluminium Black Diamond two parts set that is amazing! And it can be stretched to a very long length! I use them for all my mountain activities, from long trekking trips with heavy back packs for 5/7 days, and including snowshoeing. Great!

Best!

PH

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Your every post denigrates your credibility...more.

mike r

Pfffttt...

YOUR whannnbulance is standing by.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Leki carbon micro vario’s are my favourite by far. Super tough!

Last edited by Nashville; 10/21/20.

Pitter Patter!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
FYI, CamoFire has an assortment of their (Camofire/Black Ovis) poles on sale today.

FYI, the following pair failed before my second use. Went to extend them and the plastic "anchor" that holds the line inside the top section came loose inside one of the pair. Sent a pic, have to send both of them in for evaluation, should receive a replacement...hopefully the replacement will be better.

https://www.blackovis.com/blackovis-crestone-carbon-trekking-poles

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.