Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Morning folks. My hunting partner and I drew Antelope tags for Wyoming and will be hunting the week of October 18-23. We're hunting Area 17, north of Gillette, but plan to travel on over to Cody, then possibly on down to Jackson before we head home.

Any pointers or suggestions for trout fishing while we're there? There appears to be very little opportunity, if any, in our hunt area, but there looks like there's plenty of access around the Big Horns. Can y'all offer any help with rod selection, fly patterns, access points or anything else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not coming to Wyoming without at least making an attempt at a trout. I just can't.

Thanks,

David Walker
Ft. Payne, AL

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Tongue River west of Sheridan has good water flow in late October but I’ve never fished it, just passed over while trying to find elk.

The Wind River is a great river. South of Cody a bit.

Some info about the Shoshone River. It runs through Cody. https://www.wyomingfishing.net/fishtails/ft_shoshone.htm

As for the rod I would bring a 4-6 weight. 5 weight will do anything you ‘need’ it to do.

You could be fishing in 60 degree sunshine or in a blizzard. I would consider size 16-20 mayfly patterns and midges. I wouldn’t expect heavy hatches for a long day of dry fly fishing but you might want some hopper or stimulator patterns for hopper/dropper setup.

Edit: hopper/dropper because you could see low water flows and that’s the setup I use for shallow water. If I’m fishing “deep” water and there are no fish rising I use a dedicated nymph 2-fly rig.

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 07/19/20.
X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Thanks a lot Joel. That's the kind of information I was looking for. That's a big help for sure. my primary rod is a 4 weight Winston and I've got a couple others, and a 6 weight, so I'm good on equipment. We fish orange and yellow stimulators in the Smoky Mountains with a nymph on a dropper in the fall, so sounds like the rigging and presentation should be similar.

Thanks again!

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When taking a break during Oct elk outings, I have done really well on cut throat using gold ribbed hares ears on an across and down stream swing. Likely any nymph would do. Upstream dead drift was a zero. Seems they want to see some sign of life. If temps get low, which is a good possibility at high elevations, the bite seems to really pick up in the afternoon on into evening hours.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That’s a very pretty cutthroat. Chunky. grin

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If you are going to Jackson Flat Creek has great trout but it is in the National Elk Refuge so I do not know if it is legally accessible in October.

X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Very nice! And thanks for the information 1Minute. I have those ribbed hares ears in my kit. Maybe that under a yellow stimulator will do the trick. What size would you try?

VaHunter, I'll check into that. Where we end up depends on us filling our antelope tags. Just got my license in the mail today.

This will be the first time either of us has hunted or fished west of the Mississippi River, except ducks in northeast Arkansas. Needless to say, we're chomping at the bits to get there. Hoping for fair weather, but we'll deal with it as it comes.

Thanks again guys.

David

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would come maybe try Lake Desmett near Buffalo .. You could also come over the Bighorns and hit the Bighorn near Thermopolis up stream to the dam... The other way trout become more scarce.. Near Saratoga and Encampment the Platte and the Encampment have some good fishing as does the Saratoga lake.. Cody has some good lake fishing like Newton, but I think the trout are like 500 per mile, and the Platte like 3000 per mile.. I don't fish much these days so things could have changed..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What size would you try?

In hare's ears - tens to fourteen

1Minute
X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Thanks for the information. Keep it coming. I'm studying up on all this as I go.

IC B3

B
B
David----you mentioned in your post you were going to Cody. Make sure you stop at the William F. Cody Museum---it is fantastic--if you like guns and lots of history of the west.

I'd like some advice on where to fish in Montana with a 4 weight fly rod (and maybe an open faced spinning reel) and hip boots. My wife and I are pulling a small trailer from North Carolina up thru the UP of Michigan and out to Glacier National Park in a few weeks. Any suggestions on a medium to small stream. ???

X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
I've been told about the museum. It's on the list. Where we end up depends mostly on how quickly we can fill our antelope tags. And the weather I suppose. We're leaving Alabama on October 16th with plans to pull into Area 17 on the 18th and start scouting/hunting that afternoon. Depending on the weather, we'll be tent camping or staying in a hotel in Gillette. If we get lucky and fill our tags, we'll leave there and head west. We may camp more along the way. Hoping to get in some fly fishing and test as many of the local breweries as we can. We're planning to make this an annual trip. A western hunt somewhere, for whatever specie we decide on for a given year. Time to start living and doing those things I've put off for too long.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
If you can hit Red Lodge ales in Red Lodge Mt.. About an hours drive from Cody!! Hope to get there. This summer.. Any time you can also expect a snow storm.. Usually we get one in Oct.. Or before!!

Molon Labe
X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
If you can hit Red Lodge ales in Red Lodge Mt.. About an hours drive from Cody!! Hope to get there. This summer.. Any time you can also expect a snow storm.. Usually we get one in Oct.. Or before!!

Red Lodge sounds interesting for sure. And yes, we fully expect we could have that snow storm. My friend, who was living just south of Denver then, hunted area 22 last year on October 5th with 6" on the ground. They got lucky and filled 4 tags by 9am the first day. I say lucky, but depends on perspective. I do enjoy the hunt. But I've little experience hunting in the snow. We'll learn, the hard way I'm sure. LOL

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Red Lodge is cool, but keep in mind the "easy" road from Red Lodge to Cody might be closed. Coming from Gillette if looking for breweries, check Sheridan for Blacktooth and Luminous. Lots of good fishing just outside Sheridan as well.

X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Red Lodge is cool, but keep in mind the "easy" road from Red Lodge to Cody might be closed. Coming from Gillette if looking for breweries, check Sheridan for Blacktooth and Luminous. Lots of good fishing just outside Sheridan as well.

Thanks for the heads up Bob. How about the road from Sheridan to Cody? Looks like it crosses the southern end of the Big Horns. Any issues there, for snow?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would take 14 through Ranchester/Dayton from Sheridan.

Some safety considerations, the elevation at Sheridan is quite different than the elevation on top of the mountains. You’ll definitely have a steep climb. You will probably go through a cloud transition during the climb with limited visibility and wet or icy conditions. There will probably not be snow in Sheridan but there may be some on top.

When you are almost on top of the hill you’ll run out of cell phone coverage for quite a distance.

I wouldn’t leave Dayton without probably at least 3/4 tank of gas. Knowing me I would fill up in Dayton. But I keep my gas tank pretty full because there’s quite a distance between some towns in Wyo.

From Burgess Junction it’s your choice to take 14 or 14A to Cody. 14A is a seasonally closed road but it’ll probably still be open in mid October. The time difference to Cody between the two is negligible. I usually go through Greybull but that’s because I’m usually going through Greybull for other reasons.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is that road in March.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is what it looks like up top in October.

You’ll go through a cool canyon if you go through Greybull. I haven’t taken 14A.

X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Joel,

Man those pics make me even more anxious to get there. I've only been out across I-40 to Kingman, AZ and then up to Vegas. This is gonna be a whole new world. I'm probably more excited about this trip than I ever have been in 48 years. The hunting is just a bonus, and a good reason to make the trip. But the trip to that part of the world is the real treat for me. Checking off that bucket list!

So that March pic looks like around 4 feet of snow packed along the roadside. I hope like hell we don't have to deal with that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

You have 2 options via the bighorns, 14 and 16, both cross over at around 9500 feet, so depends on the day, both are open year round, again depends on the day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (06hunter59, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,476
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.