-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been lucky in Idaho. We don't have a point system. Moose are now 1 bull and 1 cow in a lifetime. When I applied for the bull, I drew it the 1st time - almost unheard of. Antelope are about the hardest to draw here with odds usually being about 1 chance in 25. I've drawn twice in 30 years which is well above average. There are a few doe/fawn hunts with much better odds but most hunters prefer getting a buck.
The IDFG has talked about starting a point system but Idaho hunters prefer to have an equal chance each year so they haven't done it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've been lucky in Idaho. We don't have a point system. Moose are now 1 bull and 1 cow in a lifetime. When I applied for the bull, I drew it the 1st time - almost unheard of. Antelope are about the hardest to draw here with odds usually being about 1 chance in 25. I've drawn twice in 30 years which is well above average. There are a few doe/fawn hunts with much better odds but most hunters prefer getting a buck.
The IDFG has talked about starting a point system but Idaho hunters prefer to have an equal chance each year so they haven't done it.

Without any kind of point system, why would the odds of you drawing it the first year you applied be any different than drawing it after multiple years of unsuccessfully applying?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Other than a Montana moose tag (with max points), I have never drawn a single tag on points. I've only drawn 5 "good" tags in about 22 years of playing this game. My other 4 good tags (NM barbary sheep, WY moose, ID deer and AK elk) were all random. I have been putting in for 50 or so tags yearly for several years, building points in some states, and just playing the random odds in others. I have yet to draw a Rocky Mountain bull tag, anywhere, in any state. I've drawn some decent odds tags for other critters like caribou and antelope, but that's a moot point.

That's OK though. I'll take my general and unlimited tags, without complaint.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ted I’m in the same brockedick camp as you!! 😂😂 Pay your $$ and take your chances..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got back from several days scouting for goat in 323. Had lots of fun hiking with the son and son-in-law and back country camping. Even saw a few goats!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by WAM
Not MT, but I haven’t drawn a quality elk tag in over 15 years. Fugg the bonus point crap. 16 bonus points does little good when 99% of applicants have about the same number. I’ll just give them the $6 for a raffle tag chance and call it good.

Hey WAM I am at 22 points for quality bull. Washington State at its best. And every year I am seeing less and less quality bulls, by the time I draw I will be lucky to shoot a spike.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.