Campfire Savant
I don’t know if I can or not.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Try swimming when drunk

I’ve been told it’s about impossible by one who almost drowned trying to.

He swam on the LSU swimming team in his college days.

............ 50 years ago this summer I plucked a few drunken marines out of the Atlantic Ocean at Camp LeJeune N.C. at the base beach as a lifeguard. They'd get out too far and then out of the swimming area, then they were obviously struggling and we'd go get'em. They weren't drowning yet; but were working on it. Put them in a tired swimmers carry and haul 'em into shallow water. One guy almost puked all over me on the way in. Interesting times.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thats why I keep my BMI up high. That way if I wear out In the water I just roll over and float.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swimming well requires good technique
Without good technique most all energy exerted is wasted.

Use to swim well, but it has been too many years, so i dont push it or risk it. And swimming is boring, even more boring than a treadmill.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I can swim, but I suck at it.

The wife is a great swimmer. I look like I’m trying to beat 5he water into submission and she cruises right by looking effortless.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Can’t recall the last time I went swimming, I mean actual swimming as opposed to wading in the surf or cooling off in some creek. Might have been two decades back or more when my son was a youth.

Took the Kid to a pool today. OMG, if the ferry capsized I’d be one of them going down with the ship.

I was a fair hand once, obviously I need to get back into it, seems like a perfect exercise for older folks.

I have a pool in my yard and rarely use it. I got in it yesterday and tried to swim some short (32') laps. I realized I am a poor swimmer now. I'm sure it's a muscle memory thing but I felt the same. In rough water I could be in trouble. I am going to work on it.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A story on how much Military bases have changed.

This was around 1973....

My brother served out most of his four-year Army enlistment as an MP on West Point close to where our family lived. Each summer some Airborne guys would be there to train with the Cadets.

One night my brother brung me and my cousin on base for an after hours party involving the West Point outdoor swimming pool, I was prob’ly a junior in high school at the time, my cousin a year older.

Of course the drunk Airborne guys were climbing the ladder up to the Olympic-type high board and jumping off. Heights have never been my thing but I did it too, once. Just ran straight off the edge into space, never would have had the nerve sober.

I can’t imagine that sorta thing happening today.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Try swimming when drunk

I’ve been told it’s about impossible by one who almost drowned trying to.

He swam on the LSU swimming team in his college days.

Might depend on level of drunkenness. Two stories about alcohol and the Ohio river...

High School buddy got drunk one night. On a dare, climbed up onto the catwalk under the Daniel Carter Beard (I-471 "Big Mac") bridge that crosses the Ohio river between Newport, KY and Cincinnati, OH (2,100ft span). And jumped into the river from the middle of the bridge. Being drunk and disoriented, when he popped up, he swam toward the Cincinnati shoreline. When he was almost to shore, he noticed that the Cincinnati PD had a 'Welcoming Committee" waiting to receive him. So, he turned around and swam back across the river to the KY side. And survived.

My buddy was physically fit. Not so impressed that he was able to swim 1,000 yards even while drunk enough to jump 50-60 feet into the water on a dare. However, in retrospect, very surprised that he did not get run over by speed boaters or river barges in the process. Very active river traffic in that section of the river during the summer, even at night.

OTOH, first wife's uncle was partying on the river in his run about. Also a strong swimmer. Stood up on the transom to take a pee. Fell in. Did not pop up until 3 days later.

Thinking that your buddy probably sobered up about halfway into that jump when realizing what he was doing !
Grins

This particular friend continued to be a "wild child" until he had an aneurysm at age 21 and his first child a couple years later. Settled down significantly. Recently retired after 38 years with the same company... A coworker made the same jump at a later date. Also under the influence. However was not spotted in the process. Only had to swim half the river.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
We had alot of rock quarries in our area growing up.
Granite that built alot of buildings in the 19th century all over the east coast.
Lots of spots on the Rivers with cliffs also 15 20 ft, some pretty elaborate tarzan swings and launch spot in trees.

Party time places.
Rock quarries had 40 50 60 ft cliffs.
You were a puzz if ya didnt jump.
Water freezing cold about 7 8 ft down from the jump.
Places mostly spring fed when the quarry got deep and punched em open.
Most located on high ground back then to advoid springs from flooding out a quarry pumps couldnt keep pace with.
Over decades the springs settled down in some quarries and dont rim out a quarry.
Or they complete go dry over time and have 0 water except for rain.
Color and consistency/grain of the granite was a big thing they was after also.

Climbing back up in spots if ya fell, no biggie just fall in the water.
Other spots to climb up you would advoid cause it was a stepped in cut going back up. Crash and burn on bottom rocks.
People in some quarries spray painted climb up areas
And crash and burn ledge rock at water level.
No jump places....
One place we went still had the old crane boom tower offset in the quarry that was about 75 ft
Some people had rigged platforms on it and drove in metal rods to climb up.
Did the top platform 60 65 ft on bets many times usually involving doobies and newbs at that place.

Last edited by renegade50; 07/19/20.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Locally Commercial fishermen teach their kids that to go into the water is to die. Nobody can swim for long in 39 degree water.
A plunge into ice-cold water knocks your breathing outta whack—50% of people over 50 have a heart-attack and the rest of deaths are because people breath in giant gulps of water.
In Marine Emergency Duty class we are now teaching people that if you fall in cold water—here’s what you do—absolutely nothing—get your breathing under control first. You will be able to help yourself for a few minutes if you can get your breathing under control—hypothermia will take at least 20 minutes to kill you.
I’m like Richard—get in my boat only after you put on the PFD.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Karl, I tell people in other boats to wear one. That suggestion is often met with great scorn. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rope swing, Yellow Creek mill pond, cooler of miller lite, one-hitter

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The old notion that a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work, is not true if someone drowns.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Karl, I tell people in other boats to wear one. That suggestion is often met with great scorn. laugh

Do you wear the orange retard PFD that has “JO-ANN” written on the back?

😃😃

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
We had alot of rock quarries in our area growing up.
Granite that built alot of buildings in the 19th century all over the east coast.
Lots of spots on the Rivers with cliffs also 15 20 ft, some pretty elaborate tarzan swings and launch spot in trees.

Party time places.
Rock quarries had 40 50 60 ft cliffs.
You were a puzz if ya didnt jump.
Water freezing cold about 7 8 ft down from the jump.
Places mostly spring fed when the quarry got deep and punched em open.
Most located on high ground back then to advoid springs from flooding out a quarry pumps couldnt keep pace with.
Over decades the springs settled down in some quarries and dont rim out a quarry.
Or they complete go dry over time and have 0 water except for rain.
Color and consistency/grain of the granite was a big thing they was after also.

Climbing back up in spots if ya fell, no biggie just fall in the water.
Other spots to climb up you would advoid cause it was a stepped in cut going back up. Crash and burn on bottom rocks.
People in some quarries spray painted climb up areas
And crash and burn ledge rock at water level.
No jump places....
One place we went still had the old crane boom tower offset in the quarry that was about 75 ft
Some people had rigged platforms on it and drove in metal rods to climb up.
Did the top platform 60 65 ft on bets many times usually involving doobies and newbs at that place.

Sounds like you would have loved this place them. Primarily jumped at the "Clam" (0:52 in) as it had the best water under it on lower tides. Still had to wait and time the swell on some days. Clam was 30'-35' depending on tide usually. Bet you didn't have to wait and time the swell in those quarries. Dead man's was exactly that ............a good place to die. We had fun with newbs too. Over to the NE of the cliffs the Clam is on, past Dead Man's, was a parking area we'd use with newbs with us. Trail ran from there along the cliffs toward Dead Man's and the Clam area. Would walk them a few minutes, stop and lay down the towels and coolers, walk over to the edge and say 'Yep, this is our spot. Y'all ready". Worked wonders on some friends and relatives from the Midwest. 100'-150' depending where we happened to stop, rocks all over the bottom. They'd say no way, we'd say yeah, you just have to aim good and time the swell, maybe there's 8' of water there. Miss the timing and there's only 5'..........so don't miss the timing. grin

We'd then pick up our scheidt and head to the Clam.

Had loads of fun with the tourists too. One of our guys could hold his breath for 3.5 -4 minutes. He'd jump off the Clam, swim underwater into the cave behind it so they couldn't see him. Then he'd dead man float out, right into the middle of the Clam. We'd make a big deal "Where'd he go. He's been under a long time". When he came out the tourists be saying "jump in and save him" and we say, can't or we'll break his back, no safe place to land. After a few minutes of this, he'd roll over and wave to the crowd!

Drunk Sailors and Marines from MCRD on their first leave were always fun. 18-19 yo, drunk, never seen an ocean, waves, or cliff in their lives before. More than a few we had to get the lifeguards from down at La Jolla cove to come and haul them to a hospital with cuts from the rocks and stuff.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I use that kill switch as well. Playing footsie with that prop don't appeal much to me.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Never wore a pfd canoeing the Chena in Fairbanks. Figured if ya fell in and could not stand up and walk to the bank, it’s fitting. 🤔

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use that kill switch as well. Playing footsie with that prop don't appeal much to me.

Never been able to wear a life vest but won't start a outboard without the kill switch hooked to my belt. We need to start wearing a inflatable vest, kind of dumb not to at our age.

Life is good live it while you can.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you buy a self inflating PFD, keep in mind dropping it in water while carrying it will set it off, even a small puddle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Never been able to wear a life vest but won't start a outboard without the kill switch hooked to my belt. We need to start wearing a inflatable vest, kind of dumb not to at our age.

If you buy a self inflating PFD, keep in mind dropping it in water while carrying it will set it off, even a small puddle.

and be sure to get in the water with it and know where they manual inflation tube is and how to get it. It would really suck if the automatic inflator failed................and they do. The refit parts kits are cheap insurance if you test them in the water once a year.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 46 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.