Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'ld like to get one more vacation in the books before I rejoin the ranks in a factory job late next spring, and won't have time anymore. Been giving some thought to Redfish in Louisiana or maybe "Steelhead" running up from the Great Lakes. The other option would be a guided float down the white river. It would be close enough to home to drive, and the money saved on the flight could probably pay for another full day of fishing.

Anybody want to share your dream trips, and your reason?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a dream trip if one knows what he's doing and also knows the water, DIY. If not, then a guide responding to a thousand of your questions is the way to go. When I moved to the PNW, steelheading was new to me and uneventful for two seasons. One trip with a long term guide, and I'll catch them if they're there.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm with 1Minute on this one!

DIY is great, but if you're truly talking a DREAM trip I vote for a guide.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LJBass

Kamchatka River. Reason? From what I read, it is the best fly fishing river in the world. Since you said "trips", I would ad my second choice as New Zealand. Reason? It looks absolutely beautiful and, I read, it too has excellent fly fishing? Finally, continuing with the "trips" theme, I have yet to hit all of the rivers in Montana. I've hit most. Reason, they are the only option on my list that are truly within reach unless I win the lottery or am befriended by someone who is wealthy and generous to a fault.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 09/11/19.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Marble Trout in Italy.

Edit to say: Why? because there are few places they are located and they are beautiful to me.

Backup trip would be Sea-Run Brown Trout in Newfoundland.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 09/12/19.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Marble Trout in Italy.

Edit to say: Why? because there are few places they are located and they are beautiful to me.

Backup trip would be Sea-Run Brown Trout in Newfoundland.

Both good choices for sure. Atlantic Salmon on dry flies in Newfoundland is on my list. When I've been up moose hunting one of my guides did a lot and said it can still be very good.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brook trout somewhere in Labrador. It's the best you'll get for a shot to break the longest standing angling record of all time.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dream trip would be guided on the Amazon for Peacocks on a fly. Now that my best fishing buddy (son) is making more money than me, the talks have gotten serious and hope to do it next year sometime.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
would love to spend a week at Wildman Lodge on the Alaska Peninsula
https://wildmanlodge.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Brook trout somewhere in Labrador. It's the best you'll get for a shot to break the longest standing angling record of all time.

My brother and I fished at Anne Marie Lodge years ago. Cooper's Minipi Camps. It was great. They advertised a 5 lb average on brookies. The way they arrived at that number though, was, they did not weigh fish under 3#, of which we caught a lot. My biggest was just over 5# and my brother's went over a bit over 6#. Great trip!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fishnut
Dream trip would be guided on the Amazon for Peacocks on a fly. Now that my best fishing buddy (son) is making more money than me, the talks have gotten serious and hope to do it next year sometime.

Damn near every Lake in this County has peacocks and some of them get pretty big.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LJBass
I'ld like to get one more vacation in the books before I rejoin the ranks in a factory job late next spring, and won't have time anymore. Been giving some thought to Redfish in Louisiana or maybe "Steelhead" running up from the Great Lakes. The other option would be a guided float down the white river. It would be close enough to home to drive, and the money saved on the flight could probably pay for another full day of fishing.

Well, since you sort of mentioned it:

A couple-three days really learning English wet fly technique while fishing with Davy Wotten on the White River.

Not that I've used him as a guide, but watching his videos really has me intrigued. And for whatever reason, I just can't put it together well enough to have success with it on the local blue ribbon water.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you like trout fishing, then the Missouri river tailwater will give you 30+ big fish per day.

But you need a guide with a boat.

It's pretty tough to do much anywhere of real significance as DIY unless you know the ins & outs of the place you intend to go. Evry type of fishing in every different locale has some kind of learning curve.

Paying a guide to get you where you need to be is worth it's weight in gold to take away the learning curve of where to be if you have time constraints, even if you are a great fisherman.

I've had 2 dream trips on my bucket list...........Tarpon & BC steehead. Accomplished the 1st, probably won't make the 2nd.

MM

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dream Trip:
Jurassic Lake Argentina!
Huge Rainbows, GREAT Food!
Caught a 24 pounder last Fall!
Do a search..........
Trip of a life time!

Get close and wack em hard!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Guides, both hunting or fishing, are great when you can’t get something done on your own.

Access private land? Or deep water (deep sea fishing)? Need a boat? Need someone to teach you how to do something? All good reasons to consider guides. Probably more.

I wouldn’t pay for a guided trout trip, but that’s because I have the skill, equipment, etc for good trout fishing. And there are some big fish around!

But for instance I was stationed in Kansas for a year and we paid for a guide/boat for a day of crappie fishing with the kids. I didn’t have a boat and the kids and I love crappie. We caught a bunch of crappie, the kids had a blast. It was a great day and I would pay for it again in a heartbeat.

I would also consider a deep sea trip. No deep sea boat here, so I would have to pay for a charter or whatever.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote. Well, since you sort of mentioned it:

A couple-three days really learning English wet fly technique while fishing with Davy Wotten on the White River.

Not that I've used him as a guide, but watching his videos really has me intrigued. And for whatever reason, I just can't put it together well enough to have success with it on the local blue ribbon water. [/quote]

Been there and done this. Davy was a great guide and we caught a ton of fish using that technique. I had as many as 5 flies on at once and never tangled. Really interesting style of fishing. Davy has forgotten more about fly fishing and tying than most of us will ever know.

Last edited by Riverhawk; 07/17/20.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Probably Argentina. The prospect of giant Newfoundland Brook trout and Arctic Char while moose hunting is intriguing, provided the season is still in during hunting season. That would be some daily double.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Probably Argentina. The prospect of giant Newfoundland Brook trout and Arctic Char while moose hunting is intriguing, provided the season is still in during hunting season. That would be some daily double.

I experienced fantastic brook trout fly fishing during an archery caribou hunt in NW Quebec in the 90's.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Back around '03 I did the same.. After we tagged out on two bulls apiece, we fished the rest of the week for huge Brookies and char. We would each put up $10 and the first guy to get a lure/fly back to the boat without a hookup won the pot. It was insane fishing. I would hope for a repeat on a Newfy moose hunt.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 07/19/20.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

The Newfoundland fishing seasons close when hunting season opens. That being said, we did make some casts from the dock on our last trip but didn't catch anything. We would have done catch and release anyway but it was a fly-in camp so the risks of a mounty popping up was low.

Some of the best trips I've been on have been a mix. A day of guided drift boat fishing and a few more days of wandering lesser known waters in the area.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.