Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm reminded of a personal anecdote, re: 8x57 factory loads versus whitetail deer.

Back in a galaxy long ago and far away I snagged a delightful little Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine chambered for 8x57, right before that year's deer season. There was no time to buy dies/bullets and work up The Load, and I really wanted to trot into the deer woods with it so I scrounged up some truly ancient factory loads. (My Old Man came through with some stuff he had from the post-WWII era when he had messed with an 8mm milsurp.) I only recall that they were Peters brand and had big blunt nosed bullets with a lot of lead exposed. A couple shots to confirm the zero of the cocking knob peep sight and into the woods I went with it a couple days later. The Buck of the Century stumbled in front of me, or the other way around, and I whacked it. (Ok, maybe not the Buck of the Century, but a tasty little forkhorn nonetheless). 50 yards or so (who remembers details like that from 30 years ago?), and he flipped right over and died. Velocity from those old heavy bulleted factory loads out of that short barrel would've been on the order of a .30-30 probably, but it sure killed pretty spectacularly.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Back in 19 at a gunshow I stopped a dealer table who allways has garage and estate stuff, 4 part boxes of factory 8x57 ammo. Long story short about 50 rounds and empty brass bought it for $25. When I got home and looked it over real good I realized that the old yellow box Super X stuff was 200 gr RN stuff.. instead of the usual 170's way cool...
MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have gently used 98 Mauser my uncle thru in his duffle bag on the way home in '46, sporterized it, shortened barrel, B/C stock, cerakote, and now a new wing saftey, and it loves the green box Remington 170's. the other one that got duffle bagged for the way home likes 150 grain handloads that too has a shortened barrel and sporterized, same set-up but each likes a different loading.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I maybe, accidentally, possibly have a box of 180’s.
PM me if you want them, can send them your way.
Remington maybe.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I am good at this point I have a half four boxes unless i go plinking I will never run out in that gun, but thanks for the offer, the only gun i have for some reason that likes that slow factory ammo, i guess if I ever reload for it I will have to dial it back a ways, but it also have something to do with a short barrel.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
IC B2

B
B
I have a k98 Mauser that belonged to a great uncle but have no foggy idea what ammo to look for. Yes, 8mm but what other specifics should I look for? I can't tell you the last time it was fired but the bore is shiny and the action is smooth and tight. Sorry for what might be a silly question, but I'm a Rem700 guy.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not that there is any choice now...but 6 months ago I would have recommended any PPU. American loads are lame, about all I find them useful for is brass. Norma is just stupid expensive.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by BarneyInMichigan
I have a k98 Mauser that belonged to a great uncle but have no foggy idea what ammo to look for. Yes, 8mm but what other specifics should I look for? I can't tell you the last time it was fired but the bore is shiny and the action is smooth and tight. Sorry for what might be a silly question, but I'm a Rem700 guy.

At this point in time, whatever you can find.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.