24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Is there a decent budget laser sight for shotgun?

A woman friend bought a short 20 gauge shotgun for her home and likes the idea of a laser sight. She is a good shot with the bead and rib that came on it, especially considering that the last time she fired a gun was a rimfire more than 20 years ago.

She is on a budget, unlikely to spend for a Crimson Trace. I've been researching and decided to ask here. Ozark Armament has a green one for $49 that has gotten some good reviews. I'm wary at that price, but if it works, she would be happy with it. Was hoping for a simple, no frills, reliably functioning one for under $150 for her. There are some really cheap ones, as in $20-30

BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have messed around with cheap chit seeing what formats I might like.

I bought a slightly different version of this green Laser and it seems to work great. Dang bright we'll beyond 20ga range. Have it on an AR pistol with open sights for use in the darkness.

https://www.amazon.com/Pinty-Green-...=1595336330&sprefix=Pinty&sr=8-3

I have purchased a few Ozark items and wouldn't hesitate if the reviews are like 4.5 stars, plentiful, current and very low percentage of one stars... Their fixed AR sights are a bargain.

Good luck and good on you helping out.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

For $38 it's aok.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oakanagan if her shotgun has a pictinny rail or one can be added, I just found a lasermax uni-max laser with the picatinny mount, pressure pad and wire looms in my parts bin.

Don’t know when or why I got it but won’t use it so make me an offer.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
MallardAddict, thank you for a great offer, but I went ahead and ordered the Ozark Armament laser and got it last evening.

The green spot is bright within shotgun range, pretty small and hard to see on some outdoor surfaces farther. Excellent within living room distances.

It came with two mount possibilities: a clamp for a 1” tubular magazine and a clamp with picatinny rail base. The magazine clamp fits a 12 gauge magazine tube but not the 20, so I scrounged some black plastic pipe that makes a perfect circle shim and mounted it.

The gal loves it so far, and we will go shoot tomorrow. I will put some rosin powder in the shim and clamp and probably tape the whole light and mount firmly to the barrel and magazine. The main criticism of this sight is that the windage and elevation dials are too exposed and move easily, so I have rotated them inward and will tape over them as well once it is sighted in. That makes them a little bit harder to reach but I had no problem adjusting them when turned in.

It also came with a pressure switch as well as the option of a button on the end. She can try both. I lean to the pressure switch.

So far so good but have yet to see how it stands up to shooting.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Further report on the Ozark Armament green laser sight:

The lady shot ten rounds through it today, now with the laser green-spot sight on the shotgun. She said that was enough for today, her second session, so we quit while it was still fun for her. She LIKES that green dot.

The Ozark laser held up for that many shots plus a 3 or 4 foot drop onto hard dirt. I had not tightened it enough, and on round 5 it kicked itself out of the mounting clamp. No damage and it still works fine. I had dialed it in before we went to shoot, and it hit exactly where the spot lit, with no change while we shot. I could get to like this thing myself.

She is a good shot with a steady hold, and today with the laser sight she held it at waist level and did a couple of 3 round rapid fire sequences. She neither hurries nor dawdles, but gets on target and shoots, like several good shooters I've hung out with. A good thing is that she doesn't have bad shooting habits. Her only small struggle is loading the magazine. I'm going to get her some dummy rounds to practice loading and unloading, and to get more familiar with handling the gun.

Probably won't post more on this unless the laser fails in our next session.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Was looking at the Ozark Armament laser but wanted a red as opposed to green. Everyone seems to be out of stock on the red. Any idea who has them in stock or a good alternative?

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
Was looking at the Ozark Armament laser but wanted a red as opposed to green. Everyone seems to be out of stock on the red. Any idea who has them in stock or a good alternative?

I don't know much, which is why I started this thread, but in my recent searches I didn't find much in red, lots more in green. I started out wanting red but couldn't find much in acceptable price range. A lot of users prefer green, claim it is easier to see. Since that was all I could find, I got green, and it is really bright, easier to see than a red laser snap cap in my DIL's semi auto pistol.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks maybe I will have to give green a look, I just thought it might not be as easy to see, but sounds like I maybe wrong

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
FWIW, I can't find a mount for this laser sight that fits 20 gauge. They are all made for a 12 gauge magazine tube or barrel. I found some black plastic pipe the perfect size for a sleeve shim, but the stuff is slick, wants to creep due to recoil. I got some rosin powder but haven't tried it yet. I have looked and not found a simple metal shim to adapt 12 gauge clamp mount to a 20 gauge. Anyone know of such a shim or of a better idea for a DIY shim material? Hmmm... going to go see what I have in aluminum pole/pipe/fishing net handles etc.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would think a piece of rubber hose would work great. It would have way more grip than plastic and would not mar like metal would tend to.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Okanagan
FWIW, I can't find a mount for this laser sight that fits 20 gauge. They are all made for a 12 gauge magazine tube or barrel. I found some black plastic pipe the perfect size for a sleeve shim, but the stuff is slick, wants to creep due to recoil. I got some rosin powder but haven't tried it yet. I have looked and not found a simple metal shim to adapt 12 gauge clamp mount to a 20 gauge. Anyone know of such a shim or of a better idea for a DIY shim material? Hmmm... going to go see what I have in aluminum pole/pipe/fishing net handles etc.

Maybe just use some contact cement with the plastic you have?

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by pullit
Thanks maybe I will have to give green a look, I just thought it might not be as easy to see, but sounds like I maybe wrong

Green laser light is much preferred and longer range than red laser light. Universally better for the application hence the selection despite that red is easier to produce. I think...

--- Kid Rock 2022

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
120 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.