Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
poor james .the intellect of a ash tray.

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Most Yankees were shot in the azz...…...running away.

All the way to Appomattox.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Simply not true.
He was probably thinking of English troops in the Revolution or War of 1812.

I was at my local watering hole a few years back, and I heard this briton chattin' up a couple of our local cuties, so I asked the KJ to put this in the rotation for me. 20 mins later this jolly kid wasn't pleased. One of my best ideas so far...

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

If that was true, the CSA would have lasted longer than it did.

The Southern boys were better marksman... Too bad so many of my Irish brothers late landed in joo york, if they landed in Florida I guarantee the South would have won.

"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJY66

Simply not true.

Thanks for clearing that up Professor...... laugh

In the Western Theatre the Confederacy was steadily losing, and retreating, from first to last, with a brief respite at Chickamauga. If ya wanted to be a moron you could claim them Rebs were “running away”.

In the East the Union invaded Virginia several times, got stopped in a major battle each time, turned around and went home.

Bobby Lee invaded the North twice, got stopped in a major battle both times, turned around and went home.

Then Grant took control in the East. Under Grant Union bodies piled up in windrows before Confederate works, thousands upon thousands of men who didn’t run, and Grant got it done.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK

The Southern boys were better marksman... Too bad so many of my Irish brothers late landed in joo york, if they landed in Florida I guarantee the South would have won.

What data makes you think that "The Southern boys were better marksman."?

I've read a lot of books on the American Civil War and don't recall that assertion being made in any of them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I've read a lot of books on the American Civil War and don't recall that assertion being made in any of them.

25% of the Union Army was comprised of immigrants from Ireland and Germany fresh off the boat landing in Northeastern cities. If there was a disparity, and I don't know that there was, that could be the reason if you make the assumption that they had less experience with firearms than native born Americans.

Immigrant troops/manpower were one of the many reasons "Ya'll" won the war. It would be quite ironic if their descendants wind up with a tax increase earmarked for slavery reparations wouldn't it?

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

If that was the case there would be a Confederate States of America aka another backwards $hit hole in the world the industrialized north would have been supporting. LOL!!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pat85

If that was the case there would be a Confederate States of America aka another backwards $hit hole in the world the industrialized north would have been supporting. LOL!!!

Oh wham a hard right hook to the jaw of the jr. Jr. Jimmy.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting video. Thanks.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by g5m
Interesting video. Thanks.

Indeed. Shame it could not have been left at that.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

grin grin grin

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bluefish

And yet we still kicked your asses.

Only because we ran out of powder....and shoes!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There's a civil war right in front of your nose... but let's forget about that one and discuss crap that happened 150 years ago.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CashisKing
There's a civil war right in front of your nose... but let's forget about that one and discuss crap that happened 150 years ago.

Refighting the American Civil War is one of the favorite topics on this site.

Most Yankees don't seem to have many, if any, feelings about the American Civil War unless they are visiting a museum or a battlefield. Many people who still affiliate themselves with the lost cause of the CSA are forever coming up with reasons why the CSA should have won, but didn't, almost as if they lost because the USA somehow cheated them out of a righteous victory. One of the challenges of exercising 20/20 hindsight is that both sides have access to the information and both would surely do some things differently. I think that the closest the CSA came to victory was after 1st Bull Run/1st Manassas, when they might have forced the Union to concede to the Confederate demands for independence if P.T.G. Beauregard and Joseph E. Johnston's forces had followed the Union Army into Washington 159 years ago this week.

1st Bull Run/1st Manassas was fought 159 years ago TODAY, on July 21, 1861.

I don't think that there will be another American Civil War, rather this Country will continue its decline toward irrelevance, like the UK has been doing since the end of WW1.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The north had twice as many men, yet more yankees died than Rebels. 2 mil yanks killed 280K Rebels, and <1 mil Rebels killed 350K yanks. Similar for wounded, 275K yanks vs 135K Rebels, so I'd say that explains it pretty clear. Too bad lincoln was such a turd and wouldn't stand up against the (((war mongers))) and let the southern states go in peace. Instead he killed more Americans than all of our other wars combined, but they killed his arse anyways as payback for the greenbacks.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Raeford

Four years wasn't long enough[given the challenges such as lack of manufacturing from the start]

Another example of hubris leading to failure.

Hubris (arrogance) has obviously kicked you squarely in the ass.

Most historians of the time stated explicitly that had the Confederacy obtained European aid (mainly British and French economic aid) that the outcome of the Civil War would have been significantly different than how it played out. For the most part, poor Southerners fought for their homes and state's rights with resources that could not be replaced. Yankees fought for "the end of slavery", especially the large numbers of those who paid for their own replacements from the ranks of the poor to fill in for them to "end slavery" when enlistment in the Union Army became an issue for them.

Just for your own information, most modern-day ancestors of southern Civil War era people who still live in the south feel much like their ancestors did at the time. At the time most southerners didn't object to the outcome of the war nearly as much as they did to how the North "Reconstructed" the South after the war. And that's the craw that ticks in most minds even today. Don't be confused by what you learned in 11th grade American History.

https://lawaspect.com/advantages-north-south-civil-war/

Read the bit here about the burning of Brenham, TX in 1866.......Reconstruction.........One year after the war ended........

https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMVKBK_4_Early_Brenham_The_Burning_of_Brenham_in_1866_Brenham_TX

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Yankees fought for "the end of slavery", especially the large numbers of those who paid for their own replacements from the ranks of the poor to fill in for them to "end slavery" when enlistment in the Union Army became an issue for them.

The overwhelming majority of Yankees fought to preserve the Union. Abolition was a divisive issue.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yankees fought for "the end of slavery", especially the large numbers of those who paid for their own replacements from the ranks of the poor to fill in for them to "end slavery" when enlistment in the Union Army became an issue for them.

The overwhelming majority of Yankees fought to preserve the Union. Abolition was a divisive issue.

The yanks fought to keep the taxes coming from the southern, productive states and prevent them from leaving the sinking ship that was/is the New Amsterdam locale. State's Rights was the divisive issue, and the Federalists stole many lives to achieve their goal. The same game is played today if one has a keen eye. I'm not surprised that, yet again, I have to educate a teacher about the Truth. Though it's typical as it was 20 years ago when I was there, and boy do they get sideways when you prove them wrong... I've been removed from more classes from pointing out their fallacies than I have absences.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

None of the preserved letters that my ancestors sent home said anything about freeing the slaves. They wrote about the same things that all soldiers write home to their families, crappy food, stupid officers, and demanding NCOs.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.