Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Appreciate any input. Last time I had a dog it was the good ol'days and we just let them roam and those days are gone.

For in the house moreso than truck travel. Will be a growing puppy. Working on a kennel outside too. Is vinyl flooring viable on a wooden deck?

Brands to look at or characteristics to look for? I saw some rotomolded ones at Sportsman's, RuffTuff, that look like they may be worth the price premium?

Other related dog habitat considerations? Appreciate anyone's time and input on this.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 07/22/20. Reason: Changed thread subject to expand.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Have a Gunner Kennel for my Boykin. Might be more than you need/want. I really like it though.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Those look excellent, and they have financing. Thanks.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 07/22/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I use a Vari-Kenel, 23”Lx19”Hx19”W. New about $50.00. Perfect size for a 25-30 lb. beagle. Light with a center handle for carrying (even with the dog in it), easy to open and close and just hose out to clean. The beagle loves it.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ruff tuff are great. Stays in truck and is bombproof. Gunner are great for double the $$$$

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Appreciate it guys. I suppose sitting in the house, super duty is not so necessary.

Counting down the weeks. I am so excited, uhhhh, I mean the kid is.... grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
32" camo Petmate Ruffmax is looking pretty good for a price we'd be happy with, $65 delivered... I think ours is larger version beagle.

I ordered it already. Fingers crossed. It'll get us going without breaking the bank.

Thanks guys getting me thinking.

Figured I might have more questions and could expand here.

We have plenty of prickly pear here, it's a concern. Hmmmmm?

--- Kid Rock 2022

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Stainless steel food and water bowls.

Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Stainless steel food and water bowls.

Thank you. Absolutely.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know of no dog more fun and lovable than a beagle.

But the price for that is their independent streak and their hard-headedness.

Always remember that a beagle lives for it's nose and it's prey drive.

If you think it's time to go in the house but the beagle just discovered an enticing scent there will be a delay.

If you're late to your wedding but the beagle just ran a varmint off the property and was last heard going across the ridge a quarter mile away, there will be a delay.

If this doesn't sound like fun to you you might be better off with a different dog.
And yes, you can break a beagle of this. But you won't like the result.

If you can live like this you'll have a dog that will tussle ferociously all day long with the older kids, snuggle all day long with the younger kids, and sleep like a rock snuggled in the small of your back.
And varmints will be few on your home place.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had Beagles for years. They are my breed.
I find females to be a bit more "manageable" than males.
IMO, all effective Beagle training involves the extensive use of treats. Beagles are essentially a nose hard-wired to a stomach.

These are the two I have now, both about 4 years old
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cool. Getting her Saturday. Looks a little dopey!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
She’s a doll! Long ears and nice symmetrical face. Enjoy!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My beagle, Trooper is 9 years old and h'es my buddy. He's got some serious allergy issues and his skin gets really red and irritated this time of year. He stays on appoquel and an antibiotic. I had him allergy tested last week and am waiting for the results. He's been a blast that's for sure. I used to love it when he'd charge off the back porch and get in a mexican stand off with the whitetail does that come in the yard. He never caught the rabbit that hung out in the back yard, but he'd give it hell trying to catch him. Like one other poster noted, if he gets on a trail you're not going to get him back for awhile. Mine got after the deer once and it was four hours before he finally came back, exhausted.

We had him fixed and he bailed off the back porch with the cone around his neck and went after the deer one evening. I went after him and finally caught him about an hour later. I just knew he was going to tear his stitches up, but he didn't. I, on the other hand, tore the meniscus in my left knee chasing his butt and wound up having surgery about a year later.

Beagles, being short haired hounds, shed like nobody's business. Both my beagle and my boxer are house dogs so I have to vacuum at least once a day.

Trooper is a very loving and fun dog. Enjoy yours!

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
With a beagle as stated above the nose rules. When that nose gose down the brain goes off. But I do love em so.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Cool. Getting her Saturday. Looks a little dopey!

She’s a beauty, you’ll love her.

Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by DubThomas
My beagle, Trooper is 9 years old and h'es my buddy. He's got some serious allergy issues and his skin gets really red and irritated this time of year. He stays on appoquel and an antibiotic. I had him allergy tested last week and am waiting for the results. He's been a blast that's for sure. I used to love it when he'd charge off the back porch and get in a mexican stand off with the whitetail does that come in the yard. He never caught the rabbit that hung out in the back yard, but he'd give it hell trying to catch him. Like one other poster noted, if he gets on a trail you're not going to get him back for awhile. Mine got after the deer once and it was four hours before he finally came back, exhausted.

We had him fixed and he bailed off the back porch with the cone around his neck and went after the deer one evening. I went after him and finally caught him about an hour later. I just knew he was going to tear his stitches up, but he didn't. I, on the other hand, tore the meniscus in my left knee chasing his butt and wound up having surgery about a year later.

Beagles, being short haired hounds, shed like nobody's business. Both my beagle and my boxer are house dogs so I have to vacuum at least once a day.

Trooper is a very loving and fun dog. Enjoy yours!

Zofia is blowing her summer coat now, hard to believe that much fur could come off a 28 lb. dog.

Hunter S. Thompson
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
I know of no dog more fun and lovable than a beagle. <snip>

If you can live like this you'll have a dog that will tussle ferociously all day long with the older kids, snuggle all day long with the younger kids, and sleep like a rock snuggled in the small of your back.
And varmints will be few on your home place.

Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
I have had Beagles for years. They are my breed.
I find females to be a bit more "manageable" than males.
IMO, all effective Beagle training involves the extensive use of treats. Beagles are essentially a nose hard-wired to a stomach.

YES to the above!

Beagles aren't perfect, but a beagle is a great dog for kids!

This thread is a great contrast to the the latest Pit Bull thread on the 'Fire LINK-- even without reading it, you know that it is going to be about one or more Pit Bulls killing or mutilating somebody.

A beagle thread, on the other hand, is much more likely to be about how a beagle puppy licked some kid to death! grin

John

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
This one is two months old and nose to the ground, well when not airborne!

With the grace of dog we'll make it home tomorrow.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that is the perfect picture of the beginning of a happy childhood & puppyhood congrats boomer . i can't tell who is the happiest

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.