Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
You know, those jobs when there was no choice at the time,but you made sure you never had to go back and do them again.

For me, I was driving tractor 8 hr/day during the summer from 5 yrs of age. By six I had one cow to milk each morning and night. By thirteen it was eight or nine cows, by hand, each morning before school and after. As well as pitchforking 5 ton of silage into and out of a pickup each night and a ton and a half of hay bales. In the summer, there was 150 acres to keep irrigated and hay bales to put into the stack, by hand.

Yes, I have made absolutely sure to never step onto a dairy again after our cows were sold.

Upon adulthood, I spent several weeks, a couple of times, picking apples. The extra cash helped keep shoes on my siblings' feet at the time. But I will not ever go back into an orchard.

And there were three seasons in the corn cannery. Hot, miserable, low pay, but the cash helped out the folks and my little brothers and sisters. It was good motivation to move up in the world.

I've been where I am now since '78.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Delivering furniture to the projects of Oakland and San Francisco.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Sewer line repair for the city. Those guys don’t get paid enough

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well well well. Let me count the ways.

Not all of them, but.

Mowed lawns in the 'hood. Delivered papers, boxboy in a grocery, construction laborer (jackhammering granite was fun,).

Job with the least future was working for a temp agency on "day labor" status. Some of them over the years (used the agency between "real" jobs) were road flagger, mover, and maybe the best one, taking full 50 lb bags of dog food off the production line and stacking them on pallets.

Picked apples one day in York PA. Alone. Old school trees, not these new little shorties. Big heavy wooden orchard ladder, up and down that fugger all day with a "bucket" of apples. Worked out to minimum wage when he paid me at the end of the day. I'm no dummy, not working that hard for min wage, rather go to work in a C store and read girlie magazines all night for that kind of money.

Worked with a repo agency for a couple of nights. Too much like stealin' scheidt to me, had to get away from that. Got a little exciting at times.

Probably a few more I'm forgetting. I'm kinda like an adaptation of that old Johnny Cash song.................I've done everything man, I've done everything.

Last edited by Valsdad; 07/21/20.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Remsen

That must have been fun!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Farmer...still do it. Worked for farmers doing various shixtty jobs. Lumberyard. Roofer. Worked as a jailer at what was basically a prison for kids. Railroad.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad

That must have been fun!

If you remember the pink palace or Geneva towers, that's it.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
During my first college years, back breaking row crop work that's only done by migrants today. I'd go back in a second if we could assemble the same crew. Hard honest work, but good times with the best of people.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/21/20.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Farmer...still do it. Worked for farmers doing various shixtty jobs. Lumberyard. Roofer. Worked as a jailer at what was basically a prison for kids. Railroad.
When I was working for the railroad, we were rebuilding track in South Dallas, which is the ghetto. We were basically in this semi-wild industrial area. Once in awhile there would be a community of old rundown houses. A bunch of us were parked in such a community and had to wind our way down through this wooded, weeded area to get to the worksite. As a guy with less seniority than many others, I usually had to stay late after the day was done and clean switches. You were just done-in and nobody wanted to do it, but, no choice. The switches absolutely HAD to be clean so they were operable in case a train needed to pass another or the like.

So one night one of the truck drivers comes down and says the locals are messing with our vehicles. Most railroaders kept a pretty nice vehicle. The locals had been lurking around all day, trading insults with us as we worked on the tracks. The foreman just dropped everything and said something to the effect of "let's get the f u ck out of here" and we just dropped our tools and left the switch inoperable. It was unheard of but it WAS a near-riotous situation. Oh well. The only danger of the tools being stolen was to pawn them. It's not like they were gonna use them or nothin'.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

That must have been fun!

If you remember the pink palace or Geneva towers, that's it.

Only by name.

Kinda like Cabrini greens

We had our own neighborhoods in the San Diego area. The place I bagged groceries was on the edge of one of them. Couple of the bakeries I worked at, good jobs those, were in bad neighborhoods. Had to chain down the hoods of our cars to keep batteries in them. Someone got the fender skirts off my '54 chevy coupe.

Of course, the repo job took me to a poor neighborhood or two also.

Projects suck. I'd not wish that life on anyone, and not wish folks had to deliver to them either.

In it is contentment

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Never minded working for farmers except for a large corporate dairy. Took that job to keep food on the table and a roof over my head. Brutal. Milked 500 head three times a day. Milkers worked two eight hour shifts. four days on, two off. First four days 0400-2000, second four days 1200-0400, third four days 2000 -1200. Rinse and repeat. After a couple months I didn't know what month it was let alone what day it was. Luckily I found a better job after a few months.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hot here...

Saw the Trane man leave the neighbors...

Crappy job in the summer and winter... but I know for certain he is making a fortune... and the neighbor has a sad face on... with the bill that got left

Personally I can't actually think of any crappy job that I have never not done... at least once.

Last edited by CashisKing; 07/22/20.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let’s see. Roofing, appliance sales, store clerk, yard work, gas station.......times get tough, the kids still have to eat

Sam......

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Never done anything but plumbing work. It can get crappy on occasion

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Delivering furniture

Yup.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Handyman's helper for six months back in '82..... SO glad I don't have to do that any longer.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I spent the summer working on a dairy farm in nw Idaho near the Washington line. Loading hay bales.
They made alfalfa bales and they weighed 95 pounds. One guy drove the truck, the other guy stood in the flatbed and stacked the bales as the pop up loader put them onto the truck. About 120 bales in a truck load.

The two of us went back and stacked 'em in the barn.
Then we switched jobs, the stacker drove and the driver stacked, and we went back for another load.
We put 1,000 bales a day in the barn. 95 pounds, and 3,000 reps, each bale had to be lifted 3 times. Good God.

We got 9 cents a bale. To split. Twelve brutal hours in the sun for $45.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have done my share of dead end jobs, but most of them pale in comparison to the work farmers do every day.

Back in the summer of 1969 I was driving west to California with a college buddy. We stopped for gas in the middle of the night somewhere in Indiana or Illinois, farm country. We saw a big DX gas station sign and pulled in to fill up. The pump jockey was an older man, obviously a farmer. He wore bib overalls and his skin was leather-like from decades in the sun and weather. What struck me was his hands, missing at least three fingers.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Oh hell, the list would fill pages!

But, for your amusement, I was officially known as the HOSER for a couple of months back in 1990? I used a fire hose to spray mud off vehicle tires leaving a construction site in West Linn Oregon. Good times. Not the worst by far.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was a garbage man from ‘81-‘83. Not one that just sits behind the wheel and pulls levers. The one who ran behind the truck , tossing the stuff.

Do that for 12hrs a day, year round and get back with me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
155 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.