24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ok, who’s the bastid that snook in with a transplant?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I knew you folks had serious mosquitoes up there. I just about got carried away by some when I got out of the vehicle up close to Fairbanks on my first trip in 2014. But i had no idea you had wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets. What about snakes, ticks, fleas, horse flies?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The others are a nuisance...
but

Black Flies Matter!

Last edited by Sitka deer; 07/28/20.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All flies matter.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
(All rifles too)

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
All flies matter.

RACIS'!!!!!!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hastings
I knew you folks had serious mosquitoes up there. I just about got carried away by some when I got out of the vehicle up close to Fairbanks on my first trip in 2014. But i had no idea you had wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets. What about snakes, ticks, fleas, horse flies?

No snakes in the wild here.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Or skunks with 4 legs.

Last edited by las; 07/29/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Check out a spring hare here if you like fleas...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Then there is the fipronil approach to yellow jackets. https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1566159&highlight=yellow+jackets

The yellow jackets around our place can get so bad that it's tough to work in the garden. Every fall I'm surprised by how many nests are dug up by the skunks and bears in the meadow to the east and south of us. I have to put up with them in the woods, but have used the approach outlined in the link with good success around the house. Nothing like using a noisy chain saw and disturbing a yellow jacket or bald face hornet nest. Your first clue that you are in trouble is the first wham, especially when you look down and see your lower pants covered with them.

This spring I also used the approach T O M used to limit the number of queens building nests. It really seemed to help.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Horseflies out in Southwest. A few ground wasps.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got a hive of bald faced hornets in the maple tree in my front yard. My dog got into a nest of yellow jackets in the back yard yesterday. I got the yellow jackets. But I’ve sprayed the hornets nest three times, still no luck!!

Last edited by Whelenman; 08/08/20.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
For yard and house protection from yellow jackets and hornets/wasps, take a paper grocery bag, fill it with something to keep it filled out. Shape the bag to mimic a baldfaced hornet nest.
You can either make a shallow entrance hole or just magic marker one on the bottom.
You can draw a couple of guard hornets around the entrance or not, we’ve done it both ways. Spray the “nest” with lacquer or other sealer if this decoy nest will be hung where rain can get to it.
Hang them from the eaves of your buildings.
Or hang them in trees near your buildings.

Voila! No yellowjackets or other wasps/hornets will invade a baldfaced hornet nests territory.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too cold and wet out this way. Even the resident bumble bees are huddled up on the fireweed.

I'm glad I didn't start my bee colony this year. Poor bastids probably wouldn't come out of the hive.

Originally Posted by Hastings

Some years the yellow jackets are horrible in the interior. Jake NoShoulders cannot live here. Fleas are making inroads. Blow flies infest the place. Not aware of ticks.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been trying to put in some fall food plots and have tilled up 2 nests of yellow jackets. Stung 7 times first go around and 5 the second time. Swelling is way worse this time got me twice in wrist and twice in other hand ring finger and once on back of head. Burned out first nest but haven't located 2nd one yet. Worst year we have seen in last 20 years or so. Been very dry here this summer

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
521 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 45 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.